Full-Frame Tamron 50-400mm F/4.5-6.3 Di III VC VXD Image Thread

Affiliate Links
Check Lens Price At: B&H Photo
Does that work with teleconverters? Tim
Only Sony lenses can be used with a TC. I haven't looked at the instructions for this lens, but I can tell you the Sigma says it can be used with a TC, so maybe they're all planning for the future. For my purposed I have no need, the 200-600 fills that role. If I wanted more reach I'd get the 1.4 for it.

I need to download Tamron's lens app so I can set up the custom features on the lens. There's a USB port on the lens that you can connect to a computer and change a lot of things, like focus ring direction, linear focus, focus ring travel, a custom switch, OSS switch, and a button. Me being fumble fingered I'll probably disable the button!

Impressive images! I think you have a winner there.

And I agree - you need to convince Clint to buy one do we can see how it goes on his A7RV ;)

Only Sony lenses can be used with a TC. I haven't looked at the instructions for this lens, but I can tell you the Sigma says it can be used with a TC, so maybe they're all planning for the future. For my purposed I have no need, the 200-600 fills that role. If I wanted more reach I'd get the 1.4 for it.

I need to download Tamron's lens app so I can set up the custom features on the lens. There's a USB port on the lens that you can connect to a computer and change a lot of things, like focus ring direction, linear focus, focus ring travel, a custom switch, OSS switch, and a button. Me being fumble fingered I'll probably disable the button!
Have they finally put one on the lens? You used to have to buy an update adapter for them.

Have they finally put one on the lens? You used to have to buy an update adapter for them.
Yes, there's a weather sealed compact USB socket on the lens. It works with a regular cable.

Yes, there's a weather sealed compact USB socket on the lens. It works with a regular cable.
Excellent. I bought the old adapter for my Nikon fit Tamrons. Used it twice, sold it. Ridiculous thing really, though it did allow you to tweak other lens settings, I only ever used it to update software

Excellent. I bought the old adapter for my Nikon fit Tamrons. Used it twice, sold it. Ridiculous thing really, though it did allow you to tweak other lens settings, I only ever used it to update software
I bought the Samyang version. I noted it was 'on sale' for $39. It remains on sale with a limited supply available. I am guessing the 'sale' is really a closeout and Samyang will go down the same path. I wanted to get it in case they offer no alternative for their older lenses.

@Kevriano, look what I found in the instructions:

vibrationcomp.JPG

The first bullet point under the warnings sounds like what I was experiencing, the difference being it didn't clear up until I half pressed again. I haven't had a chance to try it on anything moving, but it shouldn't occur with AF-C due to the continuous focusing. At least I hope not!

The second bullet point bears out your position on stabilization.

View attachment 44671

The first bullet point under the warnings sounds like what I was experiencing, the difference being it didn't clear up until I half pressed again. I haven't had a chance to try it on anything moving, but it shouldn't occur with AF-C due to the continuous focusing. At least I hope not!

The second bullet point bears out your position on stabilization.
Interesting. They never used to word it that way, but a rep told me it was best to switch off over 1/500th on the G2s. Good that they are putting it in the manual, though not with a specific level.

So I guess they are saying to expect some blur when the VC starts up - guess it's only powered during half-press or AF-ON, and starting it up takes a moment. Not the clearest way to say it, but it does make sense.

So I guess they are saying to expect some blur when the VC starts up - guess it's only powered during half-press or AF-ON, and starting it up takes a moment. Not the clearest way to say it, but it does make sense.
I'm still not convinced, need a few more outings. It should get a good workout this weekend.

View attachment 44671

The second bullet point bears out your position on stabilization

I'm still not convinced, need a few more outings. It should get a good workout this weekend.
I dont use lens stability anymore, not for a good while just makes things worse on the a9 and a7iii, its causes problems when panning anyway, regardless of focus settings

Shot 1140 images with the lens on the A7 IV today, and not a single focus hesitation. My panning skills are a different matter altogether... :cautious::poop:

Shot 1140 images with the lens on the A7 IV today, and not a single focus hesitation. My panning skills are a different matter altogether... :cautious::poop:
explain panning issues Tim

I get them but I want 100%. I get about 75%.

Hi,
I was looking and being reading about the lens since sometime

Thanks a lot for giving me hope and despair to someone else in my family...
Your photos taken with the A7 III are great! Much better than other I saw previously on other websites
I watched the PetaPixel video but I wasn't convinced still
I have the A7 IV as well.
What are the cons, if you found some beside the initial settings you mentioned earlier?

So far I haven't really found anything I dislike. No AF hesitation on the A7 IV.

The initial images I post were with the A7R III, not the A7 III.

So far I haven't really found anything I dislike. No AF hesitation on the A7 IV.

The initial images I post were with the A7R III, not the A7 III.
Yes, I read it. Thanks for your input

Brownie said:
Today I bought it: simply fantastic! 💖
Thanks again for all your infos : Tamron owes you one! 😉

Did you buy a tripod collar? At the store they didn't have it and it's quite expensive
Any tips on that department ?

Just found the utility for the lens has been updated only yesterday at 2.0 in case you need it
https://www.tamron.com/global/consumer/support/download/lensutility/

Update Date:September 21, 2023
Update Contents:TAMRON Lens Utility Ver2.0 is released. (Focus Preset and A-B Focus functions have been improved)
Details:Focus shifting speed selection changed to actual time setting.

Brownie said:
Today I bought it: simply fantastic! 💖
Thanks again for all your infos : Tamron owes you one! 😉

Did you buy a tripod collar? At the store they didn't have it and it's quite expensive
Any tips on that department ?
Glad you like it!

No collar, I rarely use a tripod for anything. I had one for my Sigma 100-400 but only for an anchor point for the strap. I use the bottom of the camera and one strap lug on this setup.

You may be able to find a third-party one on eBay.

I'm talking about the utility app for your computer, not the firmware 🙂
Got it, I'll check. I've never even connected the lens to it. No need to customize anything.

Back