Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
So I got a new-to-me Tamron 70-300mm and had to try it out yesterday. The results are... not as sharp as I had hoped. Here is an example:
DSC01381.JPG
  • ILCE-6700
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 25/10000 sec
  • ISO 250

I took this straight out of camera, just a minor crop on the phone. When I zoom in, the dragonfly should be sharper, even though AI AF locked on. So technique question: should I be using a faster shutter speed?
EDIT: not sure why the metadata is displaying the exposure in a funky format, but it was 1/400.

So I got a new-to-me Tamron 70-300mm and had to try it out yesterday. The results are... not as sharp as I had hoped. Here is an example:

I took this straight out of camera, just a minor crop on the phone. When I zoom in, the dragonfly should be sharper, even though AI AF locked on. So technique question: should I be using a faster shutter speed?
EDIT: not sure why the metadata is displaying the exposure in a funky format, but it was 1/400.
I'm not sure why the metadata is displaying like that either! Another bug for the list! You'll definitely need a faster shutter speed than 1/400 for something like a dragonfly unless it's perfectly still and you were pretty close. Normally I'd go with around 1/1000 minimum if there's any movement and I'm shooting from a far, faster if the light allows.

I was lucky enough to be about 1-1.5 meters away from most of my dragonfly subjects yesterday. They were somewhat cooperative, but there was a light breeze. I'll try a faster shutter speed today and see how I fare.

Getting better, but could be improved?
No edits, SOOC JPG:
DSC01401.JPG
  • ILCE-6700
  • E 70-300mm F4.5-6.3 A047
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 250

I agree with Tim -- definitely higher shutter speeds for fast-moving critters!

Since this is a used lens (you said "new to me," so this is my assumption, anyway), is it possible that the lens is faulty?

That second picture looks more like wrong focus than unsharp? Looks like focus is locked on wings and not eye to me.

I am by no means a experienced photographer, but i often use the 2x focal length when shooting hanheld. So if i shoot 85mm i use at least 1/150, if i shoot 400mm i use up towards 1/800. This is for my lens blur, then ofcourse might need to shoot even higher speeds for object motion blur depending on subject. If i get my first shots, i might try to get lower on the shutter speed to reduce ISO.

So if out of focus, try to recognize if its the object, or your handheld technique/shutter speed thats wrong. Just my few thoughts :D

I agree with Tim -- definitely higher shutter speeds for fast-moving critters!

Since this is a used lens (you said "new to me," so this is my assumption, anyway), is it possible that the lens is faulty?
Oh I can't catch the fast moving ones, I settle for the ones that have pitched on a branch LOL! But yes, going to keep trying different [faster] exposures and apertures until I dial this in.

As for it being faulty, that is always a possibility. MPB does offer warranty on the lenses they sell, so perhaps I might have to keep the receipt handy.

That second picture looks more like wrong focus than unsharp? Looks like focus is locked on wings and not eye to me.

I am by no means a experienced photographer, but i often use the 2x focal length when shooting hanheld. So if i shoot 85mm i use at least 1/150, if i shoot 400mm i use up towards 1/800. This is for my lens blur, then ofcourse might need to shoot even higher speeds for object motion blur depending on subject. If i get my first shots, i might try to get lower on the shutter speed to reduce ISO.

So if out of focus, try to recognize if its the object, or your handheld technique/shutter speed thats wrong. Just my few thoughts :D
Definitely possible. The center of the subject looks sharpest, that would be the wings, but not the head or thorax. Perhaps a narrower aperture would be more forgiving as well?

Definitely possible. The center of the subject looks sharpest, that would be the wings, but not the head or thorax. Perhaps a narrower aperture would be more forgiving as well?

Yes. I was also thinking, looks like 1,5m is the minimum focal distance on the Tamron 70-300 @ 300mm. Could the problems be due to the fact you took a picture just about the minimum threshold for focal distance? Could be an posibility to take a picture of something else stationary that is on a 2-3m distance on a f/11, with wide focus are just to see if you get it sharp - just to see that its not the lens thats causing problems.

Yes. I was also thinking, looks like 1,5m is the minimum focal distance on the Tamron 70-300 @ 300mm. Could the problems be due to the fact you took a picture just about the minimum threshold for focal distance? Could be an posibility to take a picture of something else stationary that is on a 2-3m distance on a f/11, with wide focus are just to see if you get it sharp - just to see that its not the lens thats causing problems.
Oh, that makes a lot of sense! At the 1M mark, AF was not working and I realize now that I was too close. I'm going to back up to 2 M and try F11.

DSC01415.JPG
  • ILCE-6700
  • E 70-300mm F4.5-6.3 A047
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 500

Roughly two meters away. Definitely getting a bit better. I guess the lesson to learn here is that not all zoom lenses can be treated like macro lenses: the minimum focusing distance must be respected.

Damn, now I want that Sony 70-200 with Macro capabilities... and I just got this lens! :ROFLMAO:

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back