This is called a "spitkeet" where people lived in the early 1900's. People build this kind of unhealthy homes in just 2 days.

Jabo

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jan
Country
Netherlands
Spitkeet.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • E 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 A071
  • 57.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 100

Whether it's unhealthy depends largely on the angle one is viewing it from. In terms of environmental impact this basic home is about as healthy as one can get. If I was cold and wet, the ability to erect this in two days would make me feel a whole lot better about my situation.

Whether it's unhealthy depends largely on the angle one is viewing it from. In terms of environmental impact this basic home is about as healthy as one can get. If I was cold and wet, the ability to erect this in two days would make me feel a whole lot better about my situation.
I have been in this home ( is part of museum here ). There lived a family of 10, incl. the parents. You could see the outside through the walls made of sods, with a straw roofing. It's drafty in here. So bad circomstances, family's had to face very bad conditions. The average age was 40 > 45 years.

I have been in this home ( is part of museum here ). There lived a family of 10, incl. the parents. You could see the outside through the walls made of sods, with a straw roofing. It's drafty in here. So bad circomstances, family's had to face very bad conditions. The average age was 40 > 45 years.
I think you mean average life-span. If they reached an average age of 40-45 years, there would have to be some really old people!

It’s a tremendous effort to built that in 2 days, though having ten people around to do it would save me some effort. Slackers, get your own hovel.

Plus it has windows. That isn’t easy.

The unhealthy part is likely to be caused by the dirt floor. It would need some insulation from the cold moist earth.

The draft can be rectified with mud and lime mortar, and by rolling up a few newspapars to seal the underside of the door. Draping rags over the door also helps.

Huddling together to keep warm like penguins obviously accounts for the low sides.

Loved this little journey into the past. Thanks

I think you mean average life-span. If they reached an average age of 40-45 years, there would have to be some really old people!
You are correct average life-span. English is not my daily language. ;)

It’s a tremendous effort to built that in 2 days, though having ten people around to do it would save me some effort. Slackers, get your own hovel.

Plus it has windows. That isn’t easy.

The unhealthy part is likely to be caused by the dirt floor. It would need some insulation from the cold moist earth.

The draft can be rectified with mud and lime mortar, and by rolling up a few newspapars to seal the underside of the door. Draping rags over the door also helps.

Huddling together to keep warm like penguins obviously accounts for the low sides.

Loved this little journey into the past. Thanks
They rebuilt this house in the 60's to show visitors how people lived in the early 1900.

Just looking back at the image - is the chimney wooden? Wouldn't that be at risk of catching fire?

Just looking back at the image - is the chimney wooden? Wouldn't that be at risk of catching fire?
I think it's wood. Definitely a risk.

In the 1900’s it would be lined with asbestos I suppose. 😂

They’d have used mud/adobe or bricks, or even concrete blocks, or concrete for that matter for a chimney. The wood cladding if it was used at all like that would only be to try and keep the chimney dry, and yeah, not so dry as to catch fire.

More likely, they would use corrugated iron if they could get a hold of it.

Given that it’s a replica the practicalities might have been slightly overlooked. The materials selected seem to be sourced from the local environment and I can appreciate the fun in imagining solutions from a modern perspective.

Back