using a6000 as a webcam questions

sis of Sanna

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Kaaren Thomas
We livestream regularly, and would like to use my recently acquired (inherited) a6000 for the webcam (presumably it would produce much better quality video). From what I can tell, the Imaging Edge Webcam software does not support my model. So, is it possible, and, if so, HOW? The only cord I seem to have is the charging cord, so I believe I need a mini-HDMI cable to get to my computer (can't find a mini-HDMI-to-USB cable, and my step son says the computer's HDMI port is output; would a mini-HDMI-to-HDMI with a HDMI-to-USB converter work?).

In addition, it seems I have to somehow tell it to use the USB to charge while it's in use, is that correct? If so, how do I do that?

Any and all assistance would be deeply appreciated!

Hi Kaaren, (is it Kaaren or Karen?)
Its been bugging me that none of us regulars were able to comment on this so I did a bit of digging.
OFFICIALLY The a6000 does not appear to be compatible with the Imaging Edge Webcam program. See webpage below:
Also the USB port is the only port that would allow data flow between camera and PC. In fact if you were doing still photography, you could use the a6000 tethered to your PC for taking pictures or transferring files but that's about it.

HOWEVER I did find this hack to make it work:
and there seem to be a few other videos on YouTube, like this one:

Good Luck!

Thank you so much for going above and beyond. I made some progress on the first video (with starts and stops) and was going to go to the second if that didn't work; however, I only saw your message in my email - on this screen it shows that the second video is a way to do it without OBS (which I looked at before, but it isn't remotely intuitive for me) so that'll be next. Coming from square 1 with this camera is rather a hindrance!

~Kaaren

It surely is a challenge to use an older model of camera with the "newer" feature of webcamming that Sony didn't originally intend the a6000 for.

I had originally gotten my a6000 second hand like you, and it was perfect to learn the basics of photography and videography on, but pretty soon I upgraded to the a6400 for the selfie screen (I thought I was going to be a travel vlogger!) and upgraded focusing. I wish I had waited and saved up to get the a6600 instead, but oh well.

Back