Food What are you drinking? (2023)

See! This is how they lead the uneducated astray! :ROFLMAO:
When she suggested the Oregon right after I turned down the sherry cask crap, I glared at her for a second and said: "Kentucky." She said "Ok, I get you."

One forum I participate in has a themed thread called "what are you drinking?". It's fairly popular.
DSC03626.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 85mm F1.8
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 100

Well, the talk of bourbon got me thinking of a Bourbon Manhattan, and here it is. Not sure the photo follows the rule of thirds but I got thirsty and in a hurry.

View attachment 40978
Well, the talk of bourbon got me thinking of a Bourbon Manhattan, and here it is. Not sure the photo follows the rule of thirds but I got thirsty and in a hurry.
The glass is about two-thirds full. Close enough!

Well, I've just had a couple of fingers of lidl's malt and some diet lemonade.

It was OK.

I was born on the wrong side of the tracks, and there I shall remain.
Diet lemonade?

Lidl’s malt I don’t know. Cigar Malt however is an all time favorite if you can get hold of it.

IMG_8409.jpeg
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iPhone 11 Pro back dual camera 6mm f/2
  • 6.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/20 sec
  • ISO 400

With Whisk(e)y? What's Lidl's Malt?

Lidl is a German, privately owned, discount supermarket chain. Absolutely massive concern across Europe.

Whilst many scoff at their malt, I think that comes from the price point more than anything.

I'm no connoisseur, generally I'll add a drop of lemonade to it or some stones ginger wine to make a whisky mac. If I'm feeling really indulgent, I'll add drambuie to make a rusty nail. I've only got one whisky drinking mate and if we get together for a blether, a drop of water is our preferred mixer.

Lidl is a German, privately owned, discount supermarket chain. Absolutely massive concern across Europe.

Whilst many scoff at their malt, I think that comes from the price point more than anything.

I'm no connoisseur, generally I'll add a drop of lemonade to it or some stones ginger wine to make a whisky mac. If I'm feeling really indulgent, I'll add drambuie to make a rusty nail. I've only got one whisky drinking mate and if we get together for a blether, a drop of water is our preferred mixer.
I only add ice. The theory is that room temperature in those old Scottish castles is about 15 degrees Cel lower than my back veranda.

Then of course, I get the full heat from the abv to start, then, as the ice melts, the added water releases all the little nuances from the dram. The best of it.

I try and pair the dram to something suitable. I like dark chocolate for instance with half a bottle of Glenmorangie Signet. I’ve added lemonade to Black Douglas.

Johnnie Walker must own 80% of distillers in Scotland. I like the Johnnie Walker “Swing”, on ice. Quite unique.

For Sherry cask flavors I adore absolutely the Abelour Abunad’h.

I once got hold of a whisky club special… the “alba” variation. Oh man. What I’d pay for another swig of that. All I have left is a photo of an empty bottle!

7EFF2EB5-79FB-4E8A-A7C0-A7FD4CFB0CBA.jpeg
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • 6.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/14 sec
  • ISO 500

I’m also a fan of Jura when it’s available…

IMG_9970.jpeg
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • 6.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/20 sec
  • ISO 400

And there’s a very unique Aussie drop out of Adelaide. Only the best Penfold’s grange casks will do? (I made that up).

“Iniquity”
IMG_7389.jpeg
  • iPad Pro (10.5-inch)
  • iPad Pro (10.5-inch) back camera 3.99mm f/1.8
  • 4.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/17 sec
  • ISO 80

Thanks for the explanation. It's odd how a store brand can get a bad reputation by association. It's probably being distilled at the same place as some of the brand name spirits.

When I went shopping yesterday the store was doing a tasting for an Irish Whiskey. I tasted it because it was free. :p I was pleasantly surprised. Really smooth and full. For $29 a bottle I should've snagged some. I can't recall the name but am going to call them today and ask.

Ok, this thread has legs. @FowlersFreeTime, how about you change the thread title to something appropriate for a spirits-themed thread and make all welcome?

Now I want to try some of the Scotch and Whisky you guys are posting.

This could get more expensive than a camera review thread!

Ok, this thread has legs. @FowlersFreeTime, how about you change the thread title to something appropriate for a spirits-themed thread and make all welcome?

Now I want to try some of the Scotch and Whisky you guys are posting.

This could get more expensive than a camera review thread!
Done!
As for being more expensive than camera gear, I hear you! One bottle in my house is Louis XIII Cognac, a wedding gift, and if you want sticker shock google the market price!
My usual bottles of booze don't exceed $60-ish, but there's a few premium bottles in the mix.

20221025_180058.jpg
  • SM-G975U
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.5
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 250

My stash. 90% rum. Some Scotch, Vodka, and Gin in the mix.

More detailed shots of individual bottles to come in the future.

This contribution to get the ball rolling.

I love these high abv offerings. At 60% they are entirely capable of killing COVID 19 virus spores dead in your hands. I recommend rubbing your hands together between sips.

IMG_2045.jpeg
  • iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone 6s Plus back camera 4.15mm f/2.2
  • 4.2 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/10 sec
  • ISO 80

It’s a Kentucky Whiskey, with woody anise undertones, distilled in Kentucky NSW in the New England Highlands of eastern Australia.

Last edited:
During Covid 19 Lockdowns … Virtual Whisky tasting sessions with master distiller hosts through teh Whisky club.
A friend went through my credit card purchases over the two years of lockdowns… She suggested that I could have purchased a car… but what a ride!

IMG_8022.jpeg
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iPhone 11 Pro back triple camera 4.25mm f/1.8
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 200

Us Aussies love the strong stuff... 🚀

View attachment 41128
That looks supurb. I too, have enjoyed this distillery.

Matter of fact, today I booked to see the Northern lights from Norway in November but I’ve got a couple of weeks looking for things to do in London. One idea was to go the Scotland! :) During COVID I refused to get a haircut.

IMG_6106.jpeg
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iPhone 11 Pro front TrueDepth camera 2.71mm f/2.2
  • 2.7 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/14 sec
  • ISO 1000

Matter of fact, today I booked to see the Northern lights from Norway in November but I’ve got a couple of weeks looking for things to do in London. One idea was to go the Scotland! :) During COVID I refused to get a haircut.

View attachment 41130

Seen your Bladnoch Samsara there which is a bottle and a brand that I'm a huge fan of, hence my whisky glass! Bladnoch is also owned by an Aussie... ✅

Lol, you look like you're sitting pretty there... 😃

That shirt does not say Trump. Just for clarity. :)

Seen your Bladnoch Samsara there which is a bottle and a brand that I'm a huge fan of, hence my whisky glass! Bladnoch is also owned by an Aussie... ✅
Yeah, it’s one of my “go to” styles. I collect the bottles and fill them with olive oil then gift them.

If nothing else, I like the bottles and I dream that someone might thoughtfully drop one around full of whisky, for a refill.

I’ve been eyeing off the cask strength 10 year old Bladnoch at Dan Murphies. 😂

Yeah, it’s one of my “go to” styles. I collect the bottles and fill them with olive oil then gift them.

If nothing else, I like the bottles and I dream that someone might thoughtfully drop one around full of whisky, for a refill.

I’ve been eyeing off the cask strength 10 year old Bladnoch at Dan Murphies. 😂

Cask strength 10? At Coogee?

Cask strength 10? At Coogee?
I’ll just catch the elevator down there to Dan’s and check.

Edit:
Dan closed at 7pm. I’ve checked their website with no joy. I found it on the Whisky Club website so that explains the empty.

These were also spot on.

IMG_0657.jpeg
  • iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (4th generation)
  • iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (4th generation) back dual wide camera 3mm f/1.8
  • 3.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/25 sec
  • ISO 500

IMG_0670.jpeg
  • iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (4th generation)
  • iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (4th generation) back dual wide camera 1.27mm f/2.4
  • 1.3 mm
  • ƒ/2.4
  • 1/17 sec
  • ISO 1000

IMG_6132.jpeg
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max back triple camera 5.1mm f/1.6
  • 5.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 320

Last edited:

View attachment 41130
Going to Scotland in 3 weeks. You folks have given me some great recommendations!

During Covid 19 Lockdowns … Virtual Whisky tasting sessions with master distiller hosts through teh Whisky club.
A friend went through my credit card purchases over the two years of lockdowns… She suggested that I could have purchased a car… but what a ride!

View attachment 41117
A) Virtual tastings are a sad state of affairs. 😷
B) Whatever you're drinking looks like pee. 🥴

Back