What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
These threads are usually pretty popular, figured maybe we can generate some activity. Post any purchases or sales/trades of photo gear. This could be anything from a filter to a new computer purchased for editing. Software, accessories, and of course bodies and lenses!

I'll start! My only recent purchase was a neoprene cover, kind of like an ever-ready case for the A7 IV with the Tamron 17-28 mounted. I found out I used that setup exclusively at Autorama, I could've left the 35/1.4 and bag home. The cover will be nice for walking in crowds, setting it down at events, etc.

As for selling, I sold a handful of A-Mount stuff I had no plans for. Two Tamrons, a 17-50/2.8 and a 200-500, and two Sony A bodies, an SLT-A65 and an A700. I kind of liked the A700, but I realized it had sat for well over a year without coming out of the case.

What about you?

I have a drone that I am selling. I figure I might as well sell the Mavic Air 2 before it has no value left since there are newer drones on the market and its a growing pain in the you-know-what to fly freely anymore.
With that money I will either buy a GoPro Hero 10 or another APSC lens.

I have a drone that I am selling. I figure I might as well sell the Mavic Air 2 before it has no value left since there are newer drones on the market and its a growing pain in the you-know-what to fly freely anymore.
With that money I will either buy a GoPro Hero 10 or another APSC lens.
My Mavic 2 Pro has been sitting since they released the Mavic 3. I had been saving my pennies for the top level Mavic 3 but when that turned out to have a $5000 price tag attached to it, mentally, I moved on. The "Pennies" I was saving covered the price of my A7M4.

Last edited:
This week? I'm glad I didn't have to admit what I bought 2 weeks prior! So last week I bought a Leofoto strap to attach to the bottom of my FE 100-400 GM with camera attached. The strap goes over my left shoulder and the lens/camera combo hangs horizontally at my right side at about waist level. The clever thing is how the strap attaches to the lens foot. I don't know the name of the connector but there is a one button release. Scary sounding? Yes! I will devise a secondary safety lanyard. The strap and the new lens foot costs just over $100 but the good news is when installing the aftermarket foot, I found my current aftermarket foot would do the same thing in the same way. I'm off to my local Amazon Returns counter as I write this. saving over $70.00!

Last edited:
Purchased a godox flash v860 iii will probably get a trigger for it also and mabe one more flash unit.How much will i use them i am not sure but they will get used from time to time and way cheaper than camera branded speedlites

I like Godox. I bought a 350 for near indoor shots and fill-flash outdoors. Some of the car shows I shoot are into the sun in late evening and a fill is really useful. I agree about the price, excellent value.

Talk about timing...totally unplanned today, but the stars aligned this afternoon and I ended up with a Sigma 100-400. The money I had been putting aside for it ended up being unnecessary, so now it's earmarked for a 24-105.

Last edited:
This week I purchased:
A used full spectrum converted Fujifilm X-T3 (KEH bargain rating, might receive it tomorrow)
SmallRig L-Bracket with handle for X-T3
VKO Wood Soft Shutter Release Button (Convex Surface Purple Black) for the X-T3
VKO Lug Ring Camera Strap Triangle Split Ring Hook Plastic Cap (2 Pair) replenished my supply I just used up on a camera purchased a few weeks ago
Peak Design Anchor Connectors (4-pack)
Expert Shield Glass screen protector for Sony A1, I used the spare I had on the A7Riv. The current one on the A1 has a big bubble.

Zero, zilch, nada :)

Gotten a sony battery this week - i reckon I always use the battery grip and it works better in a pair :cool:

This week? I'm glad I didn't have to admit what I bought 2 weeks prior! So last week I bought a Leofoto strap to attach to the bottom of my FE 100-400 GM with camera attached. The strap goes over my left shoulder and the lens/camera combo hangs horizontally at my right side at about waist level. The clever thing is how the strap attaches to the lens foot. I don't know the name of the connector but there is a one button release. Scary sounding? Yes! I will devise a secondary safety lanyard. The strap and the new lens foot costs just over $100 but the good news is when installing the aftermarket foot, I found my current aftermarket foot would do the same thing in the same way. I'm off to my local Amazon Returns counter as I write this. saving over $70.00!
I have a couple of shoulder straps. They're better than neck straps for long days, especially when it gets hot and sweaty out. Even though they aren't pushbutton release each has a safety lanyard attached. Anything else scares me!

Not this week, but the week before... Bought the Peak Design slide light strap. Attached the plate with anchor to tripod mount on my a6300, and one on the side. Attached another anchor to the foot of my 100-400.

I really like it, it is so much better than the standard Sony strap plus I can wear this over my shoulder instead of around my neck.

The 100-400 hangs vertically at my side, only downside is that it extends when walking around (yes, I have set it to 'tight' to avoid extending).

Not this week, but the week before... Bought the Peak Design slide light strap. Attached the plate with anchor to tripod mount on my a6300, and one on the side. Attached another anchor to the foot of my 100-400.

I really like it, it is so much better than the standard Sony strap plus I can wear this over my shoulder instead of around my neck.

The 100-400 hangs vertically at my side, only downside is that it extends when walking around (yes, I have set it to 'tight' to avoid extending).
Can you show a photo of the setup? I am not clear on the second anchor. Where is it on the strap?

Can you show a photo of the setup? I am not clear on the second anchor. Where is it on the strap?
Sure, I just added the anchor to the metal thing that is on the camera. I removed the standard Sony strap. Here is a picture:
PXL_20220319_163958246.jpg
  • Pixel 4
  • Pixel 4 back camera 4.38mm f/1.73
  • 4.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.73
  • 41671/1000000 sec
  • ISO 342

I have a couple of shoulder straps. They're better than neck straps for long days, especially when it gets hot and sweaty out. Even though they aren't pushbutton release each has a safety lanyard attached. Anything else scares me!
So I'm looking for ideas for a safety lanyard. Anything you'd be willing to share?

I think Jeff might be using a QD-mount system. Any of us with RRS or Kirk plates made in the past several years have the mount built-in. The QD-mount is a military grade mount that is also used on commercial rifles. I use the Luma Labs QD Loop strap for when I'm using the A1 at events with a RRS L-bracket being the connecting point.

Sure, I just added the anchor to the metal thing that is on the camera. I removed the standard Sony strap. Here is a picture:
View attachment 18028
Your post said you had one on the bottom, one on the side, and one on the lens foot? I wanted to see the 3-point setup.

So I'm looking for ideas for a safety lanyard. Anything you'd be willing to share?
Here you go. I use a Joby strap. I bought the lanyard off Amazon and a small threaded chain repair link at the hardware store. If the strap were to come off the camera, the lanyard would stop the fall. Note that the chain repair link is through the strap's loop, that helps protect the camera from the chain link. I wish I could find something plastic that I trust as much as this.

48547110362_7478424dbf_b.jpg
  • DMC-G7
  • 45.0 mm
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 1600
48546956146_b0ffe08c0b_b.jpg
  • DMC-G7
  • 61.0 mm
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 1600

Your post said you had one on the bottom, one on the side, and one on the lens foot? I wanted to see the 3-point setup.
Yes, one on the lens foot of the 100-400... So the anchors on the body remain the same but I have a third anchor on the lens foot. The strap can connect to 2 anchors so when the 100-400 is attached to the camera, I attach the strap to the lens foot and to the bottom of the camera.

Yes, one on the lens foot of the 100-400... So the anchors on the body remain the same but I have a third anchor on the lens foot. The strap can connect to 2 anchors so when the 100-400 is attached to the camera, I attach the strap to the lens foot and to the bottom of the camera.
Ok, got it. So you still only have 2 connection points, but it's 2 on the camera or 1 lens/1 camera, depending on what lens is mounted. Nice.

Ok, got it. So you still only have 2 connection points, but it's 2 on the camera or 1 lens/1 camera, depending on what lens is mounted. Nice.
Yes that's correct! It is a nice system, you click the anchors in place when attaching to the strap and they can hold up to 90kg. You can push them down to de-attach. Also, it is really easy to lengthen and shorten the strap.

With this strap I received 4 of those anchors, a small plate that screws in the tripod mount and a Hex-screwdriver.

Ok, I'm pretty hot right now. I just mounted my brand new 100-400 to the camera to check firmware. Shure as hell, it has the old firmware V 1 which cannot be updated by the user. If I want to update it I'll have to send it to a Sigma service center for them to do it. Screw that, I'll be damned if I'll send a brand new lens to the manufacturer because of their screw up. It'd be different if I already owned the lens for a while when they discovered the problem. I thought by now the old ones would be sold off and newer ones with updated firmware would be in stock so didn't check in the store.

It's going back tomorrow and if they don't have a newer version to exchange, I'm getting a refund. I'll check with B&H to see if they have one with the newer firmware.

Ok, I'm pretty hot right now. I just mounted my brand new 100-400 to the camera to check firmware. Shure as hell, it has the old firmware V 1 which cannot be updated by the user. If I want to update it I'll have to send it to a Sigma service center for them to do it. Screw that, I'll be damned if I'll send a brand new lens to the manufacturer because of their screw up. It'd be different if I already owned the lens for a while when they discovered the problem. I thought by now the old ones would be sold off and newer ones with updated firmware would be in stock so didn't check in the store.

It's going back tomorrow and if they don't have a newer version to exchange, I'm getting a refund. I'll check with B&H to see if they have one with the newer firmware.
You would think by now the lens would come with the latest Firmware. That sucks. When I owned that lens I checked with Sigma and although I don't remember what the Firmware fixed (Other than being able to perform updates yourself) I do remember that it was of no concern to most people.

You would think by now the lens would come with the latest Firmware. That sucks. When I owned that lens I checked with Sigma and although I don't remember what the Firmware fixed (Other than being able to perform updates yourself) I do remember that it was of no concern to most people.
That's what I'm trying to sort out. It sounds like a special setting I may never use:

[Benefits of the update]
Firmware Ver.02
・It has improved the phenomenon whereby the lens’s optical stabilizer effect differs depending on the shutter type and drive mode used.
・It has corrected the phenomenon whereby the lens firmware cannot be updated via the camera.

If I can find out what the first bullet point means exactly, like maybe 'panning with high speed burst and electronic shutter', I would never use that.

I've searched so many different terms it's ridiculous. I can't find anything else, just some people on forums saying they've been waiting for a month or more. Seems like this entire issue just fell through the cracks.

I just spoke with B&H. They have no idea if the lenses in stock have V1 or V2 firmware, and they won't make any effort to find out. He said it's on Sigma, they should be recalling the lenses within the serial # range and updating them. I agreed that would be the best way to go, but also pointed out that B&H has a responsibility to their customers to make sure they aren't selling new product with obsolete firmware that must be returned to the manufacturer for correction, at the customers expense. Seems to me they'd contact Sigma and ask which of their stock needs to be updated.

I'm soured on this whole thing. The camera shop just opened, I'm going to call in about 10 minutes and see what they offer.

Edit:

Just spoke with the store. They agreed these are hoops one shouldn't have to jump through. He also pointed out that it'd be tough to tell which lens you have, since the warehouses and manufacturer's don't rotate stock. It's highly probable an older one could get shipped recently if stock is low.

They don't have any more in stock nor do they have one in their rental system, so they offered 2 solutions:
  • Full refund
  • They will send the lens to Sigma so I don't have to deal with it. Problem with that is we don't know how long it will take.
Since we know that there's a local service center, he's going to call them tomorrow to try and figure out turnaround time. He's also going to check to see if they can do it while someone waits, since if it's truly a firmware update it should only take 10 minutes.

Interestingly, both he and the guy from B&H believe that since it must be returned for the update and it's taking a month or more for people to get them back, they're probably changing something physically in the lens. Early reports were that people were getting them back quickly, so this could be a chip swap with a supply chain issue.

Rats.

Last edited:
Dump that Sigma lens and just buy the excellent Sony 100-400mm. Yes, the Sony is a GM and it's kind of expensive but in the long run, so, so worth it....

Dump that Sigma lens and just buy the excellent Sony 100-400mm. Yes, the Sony is a GM and it's kind of expensive but in the long run, so, so worth it....
No. I picked the Sigma for several reasons, and cost was only one.

I finally solved a frustrating issue which will require me to order a USB-C SD card reader.
No problem with Sony files but a strange problem with Fujifilm files. I get a random corrupt raw file which I at first thought was the SD card. But now that I had it happen with a different card on a different Fujifilm camera, I dug deeper. Appears that my USB-C ProGrade dual slot reader for CF-A and SD cards will sometimes fail to fully copy a raw file to the hard drive. Found in my house a cheap USB-B SD card reader to see if the RAW file was really corrupt and it wasn't. Copied the file to the hard drive and was able to post process it. So, back to using two card readers. Wish my laptop had a full size SD card reader.

On top of that issue, the corrupt file was an infrared shot using a 665nm filter. I need to dig deeper once I have another bright sunny day to test. My 67mm filter may not be as good as my 82mm filter for 665nm. Something that I experienced with the Tamron 28-200 on the Sony IR camera was exactly the same thing I experienced on the Fujifilm XF 18-135 on the Fujifilm IR camera.

I just got the shipping notice, so I have been billed - does that count as buying this week? My Mac Studio is on its way to me. Looking forward to running Photoshop and DxO PhotoLab on that.

I know more now. I decided to send Sigma a nasty-gram via their website contact form, and unbelievably a guy responded yesterday (Sunday). His first email was pretty bad, blaming the entire thing on Sony due to Licensing/Royalties/Permissions, something to do with Apple and their lens docking device. I told him that regardless if excuses and finger pointing it's been going on for 7 months and Sigma should have addressed it by now. Surely they have a serial number range and could alert the stores so it can be addressed.

It is a firmware upgrade, but it's deeper. According to him, and this is a copy/paste quote from the email:

it took us a little while but we actually came up with a firmware fix that actually negates that issue but we have to do that in the service facility as it's writing binary code back to the lens

He offered to send a label to me so I didn't have to pay for shipping and said turnaround time to them (US Headquarters in NY) is about 5 days, so figure 10-12 days with shipping. Me, still being pretty steamed (some because of his bullshit response about the excuses) and the smartass that I am, suggested he send me a new lens and include the shipping label in the box, with which I'd be happy to return the old lens.

Oddly enough I think it worked, almost. He asked me for the lens serial number and where I bought it. I think he's going to send the lens to the store and I'll exchange it there.

The worst part of this whole thing is that no one is going to do anything to fix this for the next guy. No squeaky wheel, no grease. It's all about cost. This should have been a recall, plain and simple. Sigma has decided to ignore it until someone bitches. That doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence.

If anyone sees this on other forums I am duplicate posting the entire thing on several Sony forums to get the word out. It isn't much but it might help the next guy.

Back