What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

Here is some more Fodder for the Fire. Interesting reading if you read the entire document.
That's just the marketing page for the lens. What part am I supposed to see? I fully research these lenses before I buy. I spend hours looking at samples and reading reviews. Marketing hype from a company webpage is useless except for specs.

My only mistake was at the store. I should've checked the firmware version when I tested the lens.

My mind was made up already. Since I already have the 200-600 I'm all set for distance, wildlife, birds, etc.. This lens was purchased for a specific purpose, which is handheld, at the drag strip, for 8-12 hours at a time. The added weight of the Sony is very undesirable. Based on empirical evidence most of these shots will be made between 100 and 300mm and from fairly close. I typically stand about 75' +/- down the track along the wall and fill the frame as much as possible while still getting 6-7 frames off the line. After reading reviews and looking at tons of samples, there's no way the Sony is worth $1500 more to me. Maybe if I didn't already have the 200-600.

Last edited:
Sigma is sending a new lens to the store, where I will exchange the old one. About as good an outcome as one could expect. I told them at the end I hoped they were taking steps to ensure other people didn't have to go through this frustrating experience on a new lens purchase. I'm pretty sure nothing will change though.

Just ordered a Sony 24-105 from MPB. Like New condition, all accessories, original box and packaging. $934. That's a pretty good price, I think they may be overstocked with about 10 of them listed.

No drama...please. 🙏

Godox flash trigger and 2 flash stands bargain £90 now for anothe v860 or v1 or ad100 can not make my mind up on this probably just get another v860iii as cheaper

62mm to 67mm step-up ring because I did not realize that the LensBaby Velvet 56 used 62mm whereas the other two Velvets use 67mm. :p
Note: LensBaby Velvets are one of the best lens series to use for infrared photography - the Velvet glow goes away at about f/5.6 and gets rather sharp.

TTArtisan 17mm f/1.4 APS-C X-mount - another lens reported very good for IR photography. Cheap lens and if infinity focus does not work can be adjusted with three screws.
40.5mm to 49mm step-up ring for using my 49mm IR filters on the lens.

Picked up my new Sigma 100-400 yesterday. Firmware version 2.0, and all is well. I recommend that anyone who purchases one of these new make a stink rather than just paying to send the lens to Sigma. This is their problem and they need to deal with it. They should be doing this on an across the board basis rather than forcing people to work through it individually.

I caved into advertising and bought a GoPro Hero 10 yesterday. Should be here tomorrow. I'm actually starting to think that it would be a more useful camera for vlogging than my a6400 during upcoming Scotland trip.

A new a7R iv arrived Friday accompanied by a Sigma f2 24-70. Today I bought the Sony f1.8 35mm, Busch’s a7R iv guide, and Peak Design slide light strap. I think I’m done for a while.

Ok, I'm pretty hot right now. I just mounted my brand new 100-400 to the camera to check firmware. Shure as hell, it has the old firmware V 1 which cannot be updated by the user. If I want to update it I'll have to send it to a Sigma service center for them to do it. Screw that, I'll be damned if I'll send a brand new lens to the manufacturer because of their screw up. It'd be different if I already owned the lens for a while when they discovered the problem. I thought by now the old ones would be sold off and newer ones with updated firmware would be in stock so didn't check in the store.

It's going back tomorrow and if they don't have a newer version to exchange, I'm getting a refund. I'll check with B&H to see if they have one with the newer firmware.
I plan to sell my FE
These threads are usually pretty popular, figured maybe we can generate some activity. Post any purchases or sales/trades of photo gear. This could be anything from a filter to a new computer purchased for editing. Software, accessories, and of course bodies and lenses!

I'll start! My only recent purchase was a neoprene cover, kind of like an ever-ready case for the A7 IV with the Tamron 17-28 mounted. I found out I used that setup exclusively at Autorama, I could've left the 35/1.4 and bag home. The cover will be nice for walking in crowds, setting it down at events, etc.

As for selling, I sold a handful of A-Mount stuff I had no plans for. Two Tamrons, a 17-50/2.8 and a 200-500, and two Sony A bodies, an SLT-A65 and an A700. I kind of liked the A700, but I realized it had sat for well over a year without coming out of the case.

What about you?
Hi Brownie,
I plan to sell My FE 20 f/1.8

I have two arrivals today. From B&H I have an Nodal Slide arriving and from the manufacturer, Rogeti, I have an L-Bracket being delivered today. I had difficulty finding an L-Bracket for the A7M4 due to the Articulating monitor. Small Rig makes one but the reviews were not great. Rogeti is a bit of a small manufacturer who is NOT known for their Customer Service, but I have their L-Bracket for my A7M3 and it is a beautifully made and perfectly fitting piece. The Bracket for the A7M4 has multiple fitments in the Sony line including the A1, so I'm hoping this does the job. I'm preparing to do some Panoramas by stitching 3 photos together. Wish me luck!

I'm preparing to do some Panoramas by stitching 3 photos together. Wish me luck!
Post the results!

I also have two arrivals today. The 24-105 arrived, as did a tripod collar for the Sigma 100-400 and a Peak Design Anchor kit.

Post the results!

I also have two arrivals today. The 24-105 arrived, as did a tripod collar for the Sigma 100-400 and a Peak Design Anchor kit.
Good luck on the Peak Design Anchors if they are the current version (v 4). I could not get the v4 Anchors in the holes AFTER REMOVING the triangular split rings. I had to revert to V3 Anchors, and then it worked well. If you don't remove the split rings, you'll be OK.

Good luck on the Peak Design Anchors if they are the current version (v 4). I could not get the v4 Anchors in the holes AFTER REMOVING the triangular split rings. I had to revert to V3 Anchors, and then it worked well. If you don't remove the split rings, you'll be OK.
Thanks. I may need this at some point. I first plan to mount them to a PD bottom plate on the camera at one end and the lens collar on the other. These are meant to carry a large lens on a camera for a long day and to protect against drops. In this situation it's always shoulder straps, it gets way too hot and sweaty out there to have something around my neck. 😰

Tamron sale. Yesterday, I repurchased the lens I regretted trading in last Spring. It is the best wide-angle lens for infrared photography in the Sony FE line - the 17-28. Examples from the past with the lens:

Tamron sale. Yesterday, I repurchased the lens I regretted trading in last Spring. It is the best wide-angle lens for infrared photography in the Sony FE line - the 17-28. Examples from the past with the lens:

It's the best wide angle lens in its range period, AFAIC. It smokes than the 16-35/4 in IQ and stands with the 16-35/2.8 in all but focal range. Love this lens. I shot the entire Autorama event with it.

I caved into advertising and bought a GoPro Hero 10 yesterday. Should be here tomorrow. I'm actually starting to think that it would be a more useful camera for vlogging than my a6400 during upcoming Scotland trip.
This was a good call. The Hero10 is amazing. I did a timelapse and tested the various video modes. They have come a very long way with digital stabilization and other features. Now if only Sony could put that in their APSCs...

Just ordered, or back-ordered I guess, a Sigma 60-600mm. Went Sigma for the extra room on the wide end and because I could get it in a Canon EF mount to share with my wife and her beloved Canon.

It's a new week!
I bought a Nodal Rail, a Leveling Base and a Ball Head. I'm going to try a Panorama shot. Maybe even two!

Sadly packing up my Fuji Graphite XPro2 w matching 23mm F2 lens and 18-55 lens. It’s going to a happy new owner in France who makes custom saxophone mouthpieces. Still have a sizable Fuji kit but the A1 is still the best all-around body ever imo.

We worked out a barter that I’m sure both of us will be happy with. I’m after some very specific characteristics and I believe he can come up with what I’m looking for. Ordered an FE 20mm 1.8 after a bunch of deliberation for Aurora chasing next year in Fairbanks. :)

Sadly packing up my Fuji Graphite XPro2 w matching 23mm F2 lens and 18-55 lens. It’s going to a happy new owner in France who makes custom saxophone mouthpieces. Still have a sizable Fuji kit but the A1 is still the best all-around body ever imo.

We worked out a barter that I’m sure both of us will be happy with. I’m after some very specific characteristics and I believe he can come up with what I’m looking for. Ordered an FE 20mm 1.8 after a bunch of deliberation for Aurora chasing next year in Fairbanks. :)
Besides Astro, the "20" is a very versatile lens. An excellent choice. It's one of the "G" lenses that could easily sold as a GM.

Besides Astro, the "20" is a very versatile lens. An excellent choice. It's one of the "G" lenses that could easily sold as a GM.
Thanks for the confirmation - never tried it. Gets rave reviews for sure and isn't crazy expensive either. I'm wondering if it makes my 17-28 redundant.

Thanks for the confirmation - never tried it. Gets rave reviews for sure and isn't crazy expensive either. I'm wondering if it makes my 17-28 redundant.
NO WAY! I love that lens. I can't image being stuck with a single FL in the settings that lens gets used.

And for me, all sales this last week or so. The Panasonic G9, 8-18, 100-400, Oly 30 Macro, and a set of macro tubes are all gone to new homes. Still have three more lenses to go.

NO WAY! I love that lens. I can't image being stuck with a single FL in the settings that lens gets used.

And for me, all sales this last week or so. The Panasonic G9, 8-18, 100-400, Oly 30 Macro, and a set of macro tubes are all gone to new homes. Still have three more lenses to go.
It's incredibly good for the size / weight and price. I'm going to experiment a bit to see if I can live with the 20mm alone considering I'll almost always have something longer with me. It is an epic travel lens for sure.

It's incredibly good for the size / weight and price. I'm going to experiment a bit to see if I can live with the 20mm alone considering I'll almost always have something longer with me. It is an epic travel lens for sure.
You can get a lot done with the 17-28 and one of the 24-X lenses.

You can get a lot done with the 17-28 and one of the 24-X lenses.
Agreed. My favorite zoom walkaround is the 28-200 actually so the 17-28 makes for a perfect pairing. The AIO zoom punches well above its weight in my opinion.

Olympus Zuiko 35mm f/2.8 - mint condition (next on the list to get is the 50 f/1.8 - I will be checking the local store for that one). One lens I will not be adding to my OM lens collection, the 18 f/3.5, near mint condition of that lens is only slightly less than a Sony A7iv. 🤣
Hoya 67 mm HMC YA3 Filter - Orange.

More than likely. Of course, you can take that with a grain of salt because I'm biased toward Prime lenses.

Back