What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

Dang Tamron!
1. Last year, the 28-200 convinced me to get rid of the 28-75 (mainly used for IR)
2. Last year, the 35-150 convinced me to get rid of the 24-105 G and 24-70 GM
3. Recently, re-purchased the 17-28 because it is simply one of the best zooms for IR
4. And now today, the 18-300 for Fujifilm is making me consider if I really need the XF 18-135 and if I should cancel my XF 70-300 backorder.

Well, I'm returning the Tamron 18-300. Even an ok image that looks somewhat sharp upon a bigger screen looks somewhat soft. Guess I was one of the few that got a bad sample.
Meanwhile, the Olympus 50 f1.8 was definitely not a new lens but it was a very good lens and happens to be new enough to be the last revision of the lens which is the best one per: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-olympus-f-zuiko-auto-s-1-8-50/. Tested it with IR and it looks like it is a good one. :)

I guess we are spanning multiple weeks here. If so, I'll receive a package from B&H on Wednesday that will contain a couple of items, the first of which is a small clamp for my Mini Tripod. It will eliminate the Ball Head in my stack of crap on that device, I hate Ball Heads. Secondly, I have two Freewell magnetic ND filters on the way. They will be mostly used for water effects. Where that will be in drought plagued California, I don't know.

I think @spudhead is the only one that's been checking into the thread about this lens. I bought a 500m f/8 AF reflex lens from eBay on April 17. The seller shipped it from Canada on April 18. Today being May 4, it's been 16 days. Below is a snip from the tracking site with my notes on it.

This would be hilarious if it weren't so infuriating.
500Ref tracking.jpg

This lens was pristine at purchase, I am very concerned about it arriving in one piece at this point.

Last edited:
I'm done with waiting for the Fujifilm XF 70-300. I wanted it for a small carry system for IR and visible light. But I found out recently that the 70-300 G is a good lens for IR.
So, I changed my backorder to the 70-300 G.
This gives me a fairly light kit for hikes and travel.
14 GM, Tamron 17-28, ZA 55, 70-300 G.

I think @spudhead is the only one that's been checking into the thread about this lens. I bought a 500m f/8 AF reflex lens from eBay on April 17. The seller shipped it from Canada on April 18. Today being May 4, it's been 16 days. Below is a snip from the tracking site with my notes on it.

This would be hilarious if it weren't so infuriating.
View attachment 19943

This lens was pristine at purchase, I am very concerned about it arriving in one piece at this point.
wow it could have walked faster, I thought uk mail could be slow sometimes

Update to this seemingly never-ending saga:

I opened a case with the postal service, not that I expect it will do much good. Two days later and no further response. New entries to tracking show the opened investigation, then another saying it's still on its way but with a late delivery. No kidding, eh?

I just ordered a new BH-55 ball head. I look forward to trying this in lieu of a gimbal for wildlife. I still plan to use the gimbal for birds.

Update to this seemingly never-ending saga:

I opened a case with the postal service, not that I expect it will do much good. Two days later and no further response. New entries to tracking show the opened investigation, then another saying it's still on its way but with a late delivery. No kidding, eh?
This year has been strange for me with FedEx and some USPS - WITHIN the United States.
FedEx packages that don't cross borders are bizarre this year. I can receive a package from Japan within three days but a package from BH is a joke.
For example: Earlier this year I ordered some items from them and the package sat at the local FedEx for a month. Got a credit for it. I used that credit to order the XF 70-300 and finally after a 1.5 months of waiting, I switched the order to the 70-300 G. Now I'm waiting for that package that is supposedly coming today. By this time of the day, I doubt it because I had it re-routed to a business for me to pickup. That business is a retail store that is open everyday so it might suddenly appear there over this weekend. The package is somewhere in a vehicle or again just sitting at local FedEx office with the status of not available for pickup.

USPS - two packages required me opening up an investigation to why the packages show delivered when they definitely were not. The next day, I was able to pick them at the post office.

At this point, I'm starting to think I should just order from Japan. 🙄🤣

Well, it appears to be lost at the post office. After opening a case the other day and speaking with them this evening, they advised me to request a refund. They think it may have been sent back to Chicago, but they really have no idea where it is or what happened to it. They did say they'd keep looking but at this point they have low confidence. I would be ok with waiting a few more days but wanted to get it on the record before the allowable time period expires, so I requested the refund through eBay. The seller has until next Thursday to respond. That's actually almost perfect in that it gives them 6 more days to get it here. If it doesn't show up then I'll have no qualms about taking a refund, by then I'd feel like I'd given it a fair shot.

The one good thing is that she said if it was sent back to Chicago it would be in a container with a lot of other packages. At least it's not being manhandled and tossed around as an individual package. That also means (hopefully) there are a couple hundred other people hollering.

How in the hell do you lose an entire container?

This week I received two Freewell Magnetic ND Filters from B&H. I tried them out yesterday on a water fountain but that didn't make much difference. Where I can find a waterfall in drought stricken California, I don't yet know.

:mad:

And just like that...

Tracking update says it's back in Detroit. Good grief.

Well, the race is on with FedEx, will the package from Japan or the package from New Jersey get here first. The one from Japan is still in Japan and it is not expediated and the one from New Jersey is about 15 miles from me.

New Jersey - expected date: 5/6 (maybe 2022)
Japan - expected date: 5/12

The item from Japan is high quality tight tolerance OM to Fx Rayqual adapter.

Now mine says it's in town, but of course, it's said that before.

However in a new twist, it says it reached the local post office at 5:57 a.m., and was put on a truck for delivery at 6:10. Hmmm...seems awful fast, even if it is a small post office. In any event it now says 'out for delivery'. We shall see...

Well, it showed up. Third time's the charm. It is perfect, and the results from a mirror lens are quite surprising. I'll post some samples in the lens forum.

The "race" is still going. The package that is fifteen miles away from me:
Friday, May 6, 2022 Package is not yet available for pickup.
11:06 AM SALEM, OR At local FedEx facility Tendered at FedEx OnSite
8:06 AM SALEM, OR At local FedEx facility

Thursday, May 5, 2022
10:09 PM PORTLAND, OR At local FedEx facility
4:12 PM PORTLAND, OR At destination sort facility
1:44 PM NEWARK, NJ Departed FedEx hub
1:40 AM NEWARK, NJ Arrived at FedEx hub
12:25 AM FLORENCE, NJ Left FedEx origin facility

Wednesday, May 4, 2022
9:10 PM Delivery option requested
Hold at FedEx OnSite request received - Check back later for shipment status
3:42 PM Shipment information sent to FedEx
4:16 PM HAMILTON, NJ Shipment arriving On-Time
4:02 PM HAMILTON, NJ Picked up

And the package that is overseas:
Saturday, May 7, 2022
8:34 PM NARITA-SHI JP In transit
12:15 AM NARITA-SHI JP At local FedEx facility
Friday, May 6, 2022
7:24 PM TOKYO-KOTO-KU JP Left FedEx origin facility
4:49 PM TOKYO-KOTO-KU JP Picked up

So, the package from JP only started shipping yesterday and the package from NJ has zero activity today. Looks like expediated shipments are based on business days so JP might overtake NJ. Tomorrow is Monday in Japan so business days might work to the package's advantage to overtake or match the time it takes to receive the NJ package. I'm expecting NJ will make it to a pickup site by 10:30 AM on Monday and the JP package will make it by Tuesday.

The last time a BHPhoto package ended up like this, I never received it. If that happens then I will pay for using something other than FedEx with them.

Jeez, that's frustrating. I hope your outcome is as good as mine!

NJ won!
Just five minutes ago, I received the text letting me know that the package is available for pickup. :)
I'm so busy taking care of things on the property today that there is zero chance of picking the package up today. But I should be able to do so tomorrow, early in the morning.

I actually bought 2 of these one that has gone in to my away bag and one that is with my laptop all the time.
They are really handy little thing to have close by to download your photo's from the days outing.
They are quick to do this as well. There are a few different types out now, so all would work the same.
card reader.jpg

I placed three orders for masks a year ago. Two of them to companies who have warehouses in my city. The packages coming from Korea arrived promptly. The two local packages took months. I actually managed to get a second order from Korea (to Australia!) before the local shipments arrived.

So it’s not just in the US…

Instead of making this a TL : DR reason, this is my second 72mm CPL.

And to complete my Fujifilm lens line-up:

Seeing the hoopla on the rumors sites with Fujifilm, I'm refraining from purchasing the XF 70-300 until I see if it really makes sense to consider it. I think my Fujifilm system will be regulated to three areas: Macro (in-camera focus bracketing, and a 1:1 macro lens that use TCs are so wonderful to have again), Infrared (funny thing is not only does the Fujifilm cameras do better but they also don't get a ridiculous amount of sensor dust on them), and manual focus glass that don't have electronic contacts (focusing is easier and it will let me have the focal length pass through into the EXIF on the X-T3 and X-T4; however, the X-T4 even lets me pass through the Lenses Brand or other information I might want).

I've been pretty good since this thread started and haven't bought a thing, but now the house move is out of the way I thought I'd treat myself to a couple of little things.

First up was a Hoodman Eyecup for my Sony a7 IV. I've had one on my a7R IV for a while now and find it much more comfortable and better at blocking out light than Sony's eyecup.

I've not found this available in the UK yet but was able to order direct from Hoodman USA. It cost me $39.45 with delivery to the UK, I'm not sure if I'm going to get hit with any import taxes yet.

https://hoodmanusa.com/products/camera-eyecups-for-sony-mirrorless-eyepieces-models-a1-a7s-iii-a7-iv

In hindsight I should have probably ordered two of them as today I made a slightly larger purchase and finally decided to buy the Sony a1 :) Hopefully it arrives before the a1 II comes out!

Used RRS L-bracket to replace the Smallrig L-bracket on my full spectrum converted A7iii. I had the RRS on the A9, I used to own. I greatly miss the slimer fit and the QD-mount on the base plate.

I've been pretty good since this thread started and haven't bought a thing, but now the house move is out of the way I thought I'd treat myself to a couple of little things.

First up was a Hoodman Eyecup for my Sony a7 IV. I've had one on my a7R IV for a while now and find it much more comfortable and better at blocking out light than Sony's eyecup.

I've not found this available in the UK yet but was able to order direct from Hoodman USA. It cost me $39.45 with delivery to the UK, I'm not sure if I'm going to get hit with any import taxes yet.

https://hoodmanusa.com/products/camera-eyecups-for-sony-mirrorless-eyepieces-models-a1-a7s-iii-a7-iv

In hindsight I should have probably ordered two of them as today I made a slightly larger purchase and finally decided to buy the Sony a1 :) Hopefully it arrives before the a1 II comes out!
Congratulations on the A1. I guess you scooped everyone this week!

The "race" is still going. The package that is fifteen miles away from me:
Friday, May 6, 2022 Package is not yet available for pickup.
11:06 AM SALEM, OR At local FedEx facility Tendered at FedEx OnSite
8:06 AM SALEM, OR At local FedEx facility

Thursday, May 5, 2022
10:09 PM PORTLAND, OR At local FedEx facility
4:12 PM PORTLAND, OR At destination sort facility
1:44 PM NEWARK, NJ Departed FedEx hub
1:40 AM NEWARK, NJ Arrived at FedEx hub
12:25 AM FLORENCE, NJ Left FedEx origin facility

Wednesday, May 4, 2022
9:10 PM Delivery option requested
Hold at FedEx OnSite request received - Check back later for shipment status
3:42 PM Shipment information sent to FedEx
4:16 PM HAMILTON, NJ Shipment arriving On-Time
4:02 PM HAMILTON, NJ Picked up

And the package that is overseas:
Saturday, May 7, 2022
8:34 PM NARITA-SHI JP In transit
12:15 AM NARITA-SHI JP At local FedEx facility
Friday, May 6, 2022
7:24 PM TOKYO-KOTO-KU JP Left FedEx origin facility
4:49 PM TOKYO-KOTO-KU JP Picked up

So, the package from JP only started shipping yesterday and the package from NJ has zero activity today. Looks like expediated shipments are based on business days so JP might overtake NJ. Tomorrow is Monday in Japan so business days might work to the package's advantage to overtake or match the time it takes to receive the NJ package. I'm expecting NJ will make it to a pickup site by 10:30 AM on Monday and the JP package will make it by Tuesday.

The last time a BHPhoto package ended up like this, I never received it. If that happens then I will pay for using something other than FedEx with them.
I have purchased nearly every piece of gear I own from B&H. Tracking always sees a little flaky but the package has always been on time. Now, a BONUS Tip! At my home, deliveries are always at the end of the day or later. Of course, Signature required, as it should be. In any case, those afternoon waits when you don't dare leave the house are a PITA! Now I have all of my B&H orderss shipped to a Drug Store with a FedEx counter inside. When delivered, I get two emails, one from B&H and the other from FedEx. The good news is that these deliveries take place before lunch. Just a lucky route thing in my case. YRMV Oh, one more thing. I live in the Porch Pirate Capital of the world, or at least it seems. One less worry.

I have purchased nearly every piece of gear I own from B&H. Tracking always sees a little flaky but the package has always been on time. Now, a BONUS Tip! At my home, deliveries are always at the end of the day or later. Of course, Signature required, as it should be. In any case, those afternoon waits when you don't dare leave the house are a PITA! Now I have all of my B&H orderss shipped to a Drug Store with a FedEx counter inside. When delivered, I get two emails, one from B&H and the other from FedEx. The good news is that these deliveries take place before lunch. Just a lucky route thing in my case. YRMV Oh, one more thing. I live in the Porch Pirate Capital of the world, or at least it seems. One less worry.
Anytime I have a FedEx signature required package, I immediately get it redirected to a retail store this is open every day. Even though I work from home, being in a meeting can easily make me miss the delivery so I have definitely found it better to have it redirected. :)

Earlier this year, I had a FedEx redirected to a business that was not open on weekends. It never got to me and ended in getting a credit from B&H which ultimately led to me ordering the 70-300 G. :p

Good grief. I made an impulse purchase. Used Voigtlander APO 110 macro E-mount. 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😬
Hmmm, it takes a 58mm filter - I have the NiSi close-up lens kit (the 58mm and 77mm lens). 🤪
The lens was $250 less than the current sales price and it was purchased from CameraQuest.

I purchased a Sigma 14-24mm f24 ultra wide angle lens along with the Haida rear fitted ND glass filters for landscapes ,
long exposures, water freezing, cloud scapes etc etc.

Initial images are verifying the high sharpness/quality of this lens and the usefulness of the Haida filters with no adverse
colouration of the images when fit/secured to the back of the lens before coupling with my camera.....the front bulbous
nature of the front lens, together with the fixed lens hood which of course prohibits fitting traditional ND filter sets........or
at least requires very bulky traditional ND rectangular filters and an associated filter cage.....

A Peak Design Everyday Backpack, 30L. Very few bags I can find to carry the Sigma 100-400 and Sony 24-105 both mounted, plus the Tamron 17-28 and Minolta 80-200/2.8 APO HS G as faster lens options, that met the following criteria:

Must be able to access both cameras with lenses mounted instantly, preferably via the same flap opening
Must be able to swap lenses and still put cameras and changed out lenses back into the bag without swapping back.
Must be relatively lightweight (compromise here, it weighs 4lbs., but it's still 2-1/2lbs. lighter than the one being replaced
Compact. Not overly deep.
No unnecessary straps. I have no need for a waist strap and little need for a sternum strap.
Must have enough spare pockets for reasonably dedicate spaces for batteries, lens tissues, business cards, strap.
Must have enough space for a snack or sandwich, compact umbrella, water bottle, compact rain poncho, ear protection, and other various items.
Must have comfortable handle to carry as a bag when desired.

It cost more than I initially wanted to spend but I guess being particular has a price. Plus, I saw no point in carrying this gear in a cheap bag, waiting for a zipper to fail or handle to rip.

Back