What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

I wasn't anywhere near getting one, but a combination of my wife giving me a weekend workshop later this year with Richard Tatti, a Xmas bonus from work, and one coming up second hand near me, gave me a shove in that direction. Now it's a matter of me learning to use the computer to maximise the results.

Doing a workshop with him would be interesting.

I wish I could go our and buy one or two low-budget primes: 24, and maybe 45 or 50. I want to go out and buy a 24-70/2.8 GM II/.

Other commitments. It isn't going to happen for months. Not even a Samyang :cry:

(I'd be happy with the samyang zoom, but as well as being the cheapest it is also the heaviest, and I specifically want an easy-to-carry option.)

I wish I could go our and buy one or two low-budget primes: 24, and maybe 45 or 50. I want to go out and buy a 24-70/2.8 GM II/.

Other commitments. It isn't going to happen for months. Not even a Samyang :cry:

(I'd be happy with the samyang zoom, but as well as being the cheapest it is also the heaviest, and I specifically want an easy-to-carry option.)

So what about the upcoming 24-50? It covers that range, it's easy to carry and it's more budget friendly than the gm.

I’m nowhere near the stage of getting a tracker yet. At one stage I was seriously thinking of getting a ZWO Seestar.
I purchased one last week and it arrived today. I tried out solar mode and it found and centered the sun within a couple of minutes and I got some shots. I'm hoping for clear skies to try out other features. I wish I had gotten it before the eclipse.

I just collected the VG-C5 - the vertical grip for the A9 III. I haven’t bought the grip for any of my other Sonys, but I thought it was about time I tried one given the amount of time I shoot in portrait orientation.

It attaches snugly and securely, and provides a nice resting place for my little finger - I hadn’t considered that (and I have a baseplate attached to the A7RV for that reason).

This is going to be interesting.

I think the standard Sony 50mm is pretty decent, and its about 220 USD or around there, or the Samyang as you stated but its a tad more expensive. Also, i have bought all the lenses i have now second hand, its a good market for this here atleast, and the lenses are almost always taken care of, just need to mind who you buy from and their trading history.

The Sony FE50/1.8 has poor reviews, particularly mentioning slow and noisy autofocus. I'd decided to give that one a miss.

Two or three of my APS-C lenses were bought used, and I am absolutely open to that. We have a pretty decent local forum that is a good source. I am not, at this time, looking at the super-fast $,$$$ lenses. Wish I could!

The Sony FE50/1.8 has poor reviews, particularly mentioning slow and noisy autofocus. I'd decided to give that one a miss.

Two or three of my APS-C lenses were bought used, and I am absolutely open to that. We have a pretty decent local forum that is a good source. I am not, at this time, looking at the super-fast $,$$$ lenses. Wish I could!

Be careful - if you like primes you can get to the $$,$$$ level :(

At least Sony doesn't (yet!) have any at the $$$,$$$ level (the Canon 1200mm could reach that at times, I've heard).

Be careful - if you like primes you can get to the $$,$$$ level

I do... and horribly true. I simply won't ever be able to afford those lofty heights. To pay more for a lens than my ten-year-old car is worth, even if I did save it up, would be way above my "glass ceiling."

I certainly do like primes --- but it begins with the practical consideration of shooting at an aperture/iso which allows 1/250, at least, with minimum skin shadow noise. And without fancy Windows denoising software. Most of the concerts I attend are not well lit.

I do... and horribly true. I simply won't ever be able to afford those lofty heights. To pay more for a lens than my ten-year-old car is worth, even if I did save it up, would be way above my "glass ceiling."

I certainly do like primes --- but it begins with the practical consideration of shooting at an aperture/iso which allows 1/250, at least, with minimum skin shadow noise. And without fancy Windows denoising software. Most of the concerts I attend are not well lit.

I look at the 400 GM and 600 GM, and sigh. I can't afford them either, but even if I could, they are too heavy for me.

I am sorely tempted by the Sigma 500mm, though. It's expensive, it doesn't take TCs, and I still want to try it... Our dedicated host has exacerbated the desire - he makes it sound like a fun lens to use...

Bought on a whim: aftermarket lens hood for the Sony 24mm 2.8G. Manufacturer Haoge, model LH-S245G
20240430_223457.jpg
  • Galaxy S23+
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/24 sec
  • ISO 640

The 50/1.8 lens has a software update that partly corrects those issues. Although it's not the best lens out there, it has a reasonable performance and shoots fairly sharp images with beautiful colour rendition.

For a not too expensive prime alternative, try the 50/2.5 G: you lose some stops but it's lighter and has a better, silent AF.

The 50/1.8 lens has a software update that partly corrects those issues.
Oh! Thank you. I just might give it a try
For a not too expensive prime alternative, try the 50/2.5 G
Thanks for the suggestion. My primes have to be fast[er], for my concert photography.

Will probably get that 24-70 some time this year.

Back