Sony A1 When is it likely that a new A1 will be released?

LandyShooter

Followers
Following
Name
LandyShooter
Hi all,
I am planning my camera strategy for the next year - and I really need a 'lead' camera with two supporting ones with different lenses on each. I 95% film, only a few photos.
I have an A6600 and a A7C so looking for a good upgrade, mostly to use with the 200-600.

Impossible question, but whats the best guess/speculation when the next A1 will be released? Do Sony have a release cycle like Apple etc?

Cheers, Darrin

100% conjecture, but based on the rumor sites and frequency of references, I think you'll see the A7cM2 and A9M3 this year, and the A1M2 next year.

The A7cM2 has been expected for some time. In November they said the A9M3 was expected to be tested during the World Cup, but I haven't seen anything since then. It was supposed to be released early this year.

Given that the 7RM5 was already released, if they do follow suit with a new 7c and 9 it doesn't seem likely they'd release a fourth camera in the same year, other than something geared toward vloggers/creators.

Again, nothing solid here, but how the rumors have progressed.

There are two cameras that Sony is likely to be releasing for the Olympics: the A9 mark III and the A1 mark II. Could be either order, but I'd suspect it will be the A9 first (because the A9 II is older, and more in need of an update - it is still on the old processor). Sony will want both of the out in advance of the Olympics, though.

It would be fun if the A1 mark II was announced in January 2024, because that would be 3 years since the A1 was announced.

The A7R5 was announced in October last year, and shipped that year, so we've had no new bodies yet this year.

There are two cameras that Sony is likely to be releasing for the Olympics: the A9 mark III and the A1 mark II. Could be either order, but I'd suspect it will be the A9 first (because the A9 II is older, and more in need of an update - it is still on the old processor). Sony will want both of the out in advance of the Olympics, though.

It would be fun if the A1 mark II was announced in January 2024, because that would be 3 years since the A1 was announced.

The A7R5 was announced in October last year, and shipped that year, so we've had no new bodies yet this year.
Technically true, but Sony's propensity to release a new body right before Christmas pretty much makes it a following-year camera for most people, the pre-order and must-have's aside. If they do drop the new A9 early this year, it will be almost back-to-back releases. That gives them a year + for two new full-sized bodies before the A1 next year, just before the Olympics.

Did anyone ever hear if the new A9 made it to World Cup?

To further the theory that the A1M2 won't show up until next year, there's a rumor about an A1 firmware update to improve features, which is a departure from the normal bug-fix. They did it when the A7M4 came out with bird-eye focus for video, adding it to the A1. If Sony does do this, then one would think they're trying to keep the A1 desirable for a while longer.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/wild-rumor-about-a-new-sony-firmware-update-on-february-1/

Last edited:
Well, I got my A7RV on 30 November :cool:

I treat SAR “rumours“ with extreme wariness. I can believe they might add functionality in a firmware update, but I would expect it to be things like focus stacking, and bulb timer.

I really doubt they’d add subject recognition, because it needs hardware.

Might they do some extra focus functionality? I don’t know. Adding Insect, for example, might require different data if they are doing it without the new chip. Maybe they captured the necessary data for the A1 at the same time as doing the A7RV.

Well, I got my A7RV on 30 November :cool:

I treat SAR “rumours“ with extreme wariness. I can believe they might add functionality in a firmware update, but I would expect it to be things like focus stacking, and bulb timer.

I really doubt they’d add subject recognition, because it needs hardware.

Might they do some extra focus functionality? I don’t know. Adding Insect, for example, might require different data if they are doing it without the new chip. Maybe they captured the necessary data for the A1 at the same time as doing the A7RV.
I think they'll add as much of the A7RV focus features that they can without having that second dedicated chip. Subject recognition can be done with firmware. Unless I'm misremembering, they already did something similar to the A1 when the A74 came out with bird eye recognition for video. The pseudo artificial intelligence needs the second chip.

I think they'll add as much of the A7RV focus features that they can without having that second dedicated chip. Subject recognition can be done with firmware. Unless I'm misremembering, they already did something similar to the A1 when the A74 came out with bird eye recognition for video. The pseudo artificial intelligence needs the second chip.
Yes, that was the kind of limitation I envisaged.

If they do that, they’ll trigger so many arguments about “A1 spots butterflies better than A7RV” and “A1 train spotting is not as good as A7RV” o_O;):unsure:

Yes, that was the kind of limitation I envisaged.

If they do that, they’ll trigger so many arguments about “A1 spots butterflies better than A7RV” and “A1 train spotting is not as good as A7RV” o_O;):unsure:
At the same time, they probably don't want the AF of their flagship to be too far behind the R version of their 'basic' series for an extended period.

I can't see it happening until the end of 2024 at least, and I don't think there's much need to update from what I've seen and read. The sports guys need speed over resolution so I see the A9III as the next "Canon" beater. Canon have certainly upped their game though, even the low priced cameras have an amazing spec, so Sony need to get their ass in gear.

I can't see it happening until the end of 2024 at least, and I don't think there's much need to update from what I've seen and read. The sports guys need speed over resolution so I see the A9III as the next "Canon" beater. Canon have certainly upped their game though, even the low priced cameras have an amazing spec, so Sony need to get their ass in gear.

You aren't expecting the next A9 and the next A1 to both be out for the Olympics? Guess we'll see.

You aren't expecting the next A9 and the next A1 to both be out for the Olympics? Guess we'll see.
I don't think the A1 will be, no, but the A9, yes. The A1 is fast anyway, but the sports togs won't use a 50mp sensor anyway.

If you do have to mention that site, could you please summarise the stuff it's spreading, rather than giving them free clicks for their advertising blast?

And now it has a YouTube channel?!? I guess they are catering to the illiterate?
I don't understand the vitriol. So, he's a rumor site. So, he earns his living by clicks. So what? What harm does it do to you? Do you really think your click is going to change the millions of clicks he gets for the Sony, M-4/3, Mirrorless, Fuji, Canon and L-Mount rumors sites he runs? When I log in at work in the morning, I visit four forums and his rumor site. It is meant to be an entertainment site, and I find it entertaining.

Guess what? Forums earn money by clicks too. And I'd also point out that the only way to respond to the OP in this thread is with a rumor.

I'll post how I see fit. Sometimes I post content if I'm not in a hurry or it's a very interesting story. Or, if asked to like @Kevriano did in another thread because he was stuck behind a firewall. You can:

Click through, and God forbid he gets your click,

or,

Not.

Either one is ok by me.

I don't understand the vitriol. So, he's a rumor site. So, he earns his living by clicks. So what? What harm does it do to you? Do you really think your click is going to change the millions of clicks he gets for the Sony, M-4/3, Mirrorless, Fuji, Canon and L-Mount rumors sites he runs? When I log in at work in the morning, I visit four forums and his rumor site. It is meant to be an entertainment site, and I find it entertaining.

Guess what? Forums earn money by clicks too. And I'd also point out that the only way to respond to the OP in this thread is with a rumor.

I'll post how I see fit. Sometimes I post content if I'm not in a hurry or it's a very interesting story. Or, if asked to like @Kevriano did in another thread because he was stuck behind a firewall. You can:

Click through, and God forbid he gets your click,

or,

Not.

Either one is ok by me.

When you replied, I thought about it, and I think the part about that site which offends me is harvesting clicks by repeating the content published by another site (Nokishta? I don’t remember the name exactly). That seems parasitic to me.

Making a living publishing your own content, or providing a forum for others to discuss thing - those sites earn their clicks. I even run a browser without ad-blocking to allow those sites to make their living that way.

Does that make sense?

It’s not the rumours themselves - I have no problem considering what may or may not be coming down the line.

When you replied, I thought about it, and I think the part about that site which offends me is harvesting clicks by repeating the content published by another site (Nokishta? I don’t remember the name exactly). That seems parasitic to me.

Making a living publishing your own content, or providing a forum for others to discuss thing - those sites earn their clicks. I even run a browser without ad-blocking to allow those sites to make their living that way.

Does that make sense?

It’s not the rumours themselves - I have no problem considering what may or may not be coming down the line.
Not really. I make a living one way, he makes it another. He has sources that he has to query on a regular basis, whether it's reposting someone else's content, calling his buddy at Sony or vetting a rumor from someone he meets in a dark alley. So he's earning his clicks as well.

Instead of looking at it from your perspective, try this:

Your click is his payment for collecting and compiling this information into one location.

It's a lot easier for me to go to one place than it is to try and dig everything up individually. It's convenient for me, and it's because of his effort. So, I happily click away.

I must make a belated new year’s resolution to wait yo post until after my first coffee has kicked in :coffee:

Back