Your Photo of the Week

The pleasing early light and relatively still waters helped to capture this beautiful swan.

DSC09931-3000px.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 588.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 200

Week 46. Bohemian Waxwing in Suffolk today. I have waited many a year to get some good shots of these fairly rare UK visitors, and today was the day. We may well see more over this winter, as there has been a catastrophic berry crop in Scandanavia, their preferred wintering grounds. Unusually it's just one bird at this spot, but what a bird :)
DSC05079 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 2000

Beautiful! We supposedly get both the Bohemian and Cedar varieties here, although I've only seen Cedars.

Week 46. Bohemian Waxwing in Suffolk today. I have waited many a year to get some good shots of these fairly rare UK visitors, and today was the day. We may well see more over this winter, as there has been a catastrophic berry crop in Scandanavia, their preferred wintering grounds. Unusually it's just one bird at this spot, but what a bird :)
You lucky bugger Kev! :) Beautiful bird and a great shot too!

Nice composition Tim. Cheers for the comment above.
Thanks Kev. It's barely been above freezing since the weekend so the snow is holding on for now. Looks like it will be gone for the weekend though so need to make the most of it! :) ☃️

Thanks Kev. It's barely been above freezing since the weekend so the snow is holding on for now. Looks like it will be gone for the weekend though so need to make the most of it! :) ☃️
Same here, though we've escaped the snow, and actually it's been 3 or 4 degrees during the day, so not too bad. Absolutely no wind either, a real rare occurrence in Norfolk!

Week 46. Bohemian Waxwing in Suffolk today. I have waited many a year to get some good shots of these fairly rare UK visitors, and today was the day. We may well see more over this winter, as there has been a catastrophic berry crop in Scandanavia, their preferred wintering grounds. Unusually it's just one bird at this spot, but what a bird :)View attachment 28965
This is a beautiful image Kev, but I have a question. Did you apply any type of noise removal to this image? After you answer, I'll explain why I asked.

This is a beautiful image Kev, but I have a question. Did you apply any type of noise removal to this image? After you answer, I'll explain why I asked.
Cheers Jeff. Yes. I use a minimal amount of Topaz noise reduction, and very little sharpen. I gauge it depending on how I see it on processing, as over use of denoise smooths out detail. I rarely have to use it if ISO is below 500 though.

Cheers Jeff. Yes. I use a minimal amount of Topaz noise reduction, and very little sharpen. I gauge it depending on how I see it on processing, as over use of denoise smooths out detail. I rarely have to use it if ISO is below 500 though.
Thanks for the info, Kev. The reason I asked is I had previously downloaded some images that Mark Galer had shot in conjunction with his review of the new a7RV which also has a 61 mp sensor like the a7RIV. The images were in Raw format but could not be processed until Lightroom revised their program to be compatible with the a7RV. That revision to Lightroom came yesterday and I processed the previously downloaded Raw images from Mark. I was surprised to see some noise when zooming in on these images. Topaz took care of it but I was wondering if this is a normal thing for photographers that shoot with a very high MP sensor. I wanted your input on this question because your photos are always stunning.

Thanks for the info, Kev. The reason I asked is I had previously downloaded some images that Mark Galer had shot in conjunction with his review of the new a7RV which also has a 61 mp sensor like the a7RIV. The images were in Raw format but could not be processed until Lightroom revised their program to be compatible with the a7RV. That revision to Lightroom came yesterday and I processed the previously downloaded Raw images from Mark. I was surprised to see some noise when zooming in on these images. Topaz took care of it but I was wondering if this is a normal thing for photographers that shoot with a very high MP sensor. I wanted your input on this question because your photos are always stunning.
Thanks Jeff. Ever since I trialled Topaz I have considered it an essential part of my processing and have long advocated that anyone shooting with these high resolution sensors should consider it as such, because even with close to perfect exposure (also a very essential part of shooting with these sensors) they show every slight inaccuracy in technique and exposure. One thing that is a bonus with them though, is the tremendous dynamic range, and malleable RAW images, which make it easier to adjust, but doing so does create more noise, or accentuates it, as you are stretching pixels essentially. This is why I err on the side of over exposure, as it's far easier to control. Either way though, Topaz is a necessity in that instance.

Did you take a photo that you really like in the last week? If so, please do share it here.

Also, if you'd like to challenge yourself you could post a photo each week for 52 weeks, yep that's a whole year! Just comment before your photo which week you are on.

This thread did start out life as a 52 week challenge, but after some discussions with members here renaming it simply to: "Photo of the Week" made more sense, but leaving the option for members to continue or start fresh with a personal 52 week challenge if desired.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes here! :)
22F8305D-4101-412F-A2E6-DC0836554703.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM3A
  • ----
  • 1/20 sec
  • ISO 250

Good morning Petaluma!
This is my first image (that anyone's seen) from this past Saturday morning w the A7RV and Sony 24-105 f4. Overall, pretty happy with it but the hills still need rain to get that green going.

Good Morning Petaluma.jpeg

This is my first image (that anyone's seen) from this past Saturday morning w the A7RV and Sony 24-105 f4. Overall, pretty happy with it but the hills still need rain to get that green going.
Stunning shot Roger!

Good morning Petaluma!

View attachment 29180
Petaluma never looked so good. Well done!

Week 47. A Chinese Water Deer in full Winter Coat. They really do get a thick layer at this time of year, which is also their rutting season, where the tusked males rear up at each other, tooth to tooth. I haven't yet been able to photograph this though. Anyway, Does my Bum look big in this?
DSC05230 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 3200

Week 47. A Chinese Water Deer in full Winter Coat. They really do get a thick layer at this time of year, which is also their rutting season, where the tusked males rear up at each other, tooth to tooth. I haven't yet been able to photograph this though. Anyway, Does my Bum look big in this?

That's an awesome 'what do ya reckon?' look... 😄

Week 48 (I think I might have missed a couple this year!) The Owls were playing nice at St Benets this afternoon. Barn and Short Eared hunting the same grounds at the same time. Fabulous.
DSC05670 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 3200

little robin visitor loves to stand on my wildlife camera I thinks
robin 2022 208.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 300mm F2.8 G
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 5000
he is funny

7 Mile Beach on a ridiculously hazey day...

View attachment 29320
Can I be just slightly critical on this shot and this is only a personal view and that is all.
I find that this shot for me this is and maybe only me, but I like it much better without the tops of the houses in the shot.
I rolled the shot down and I can still see the tv pole of the silver roof but this could be cloned out easily.
But for me I feel this makes a better shot in my eyes over the roof tops in it.
You can call me anything you like but as said just my personal opinion on this one.

Back