Name
Gary Finn
Country
Australia
City/State
Coogee Beach
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Ive been getting unexpected lens flare from my Sony 20mm F1.8 on the A7iv to the point whee I can hardly make out facial features. It’s becoming quite a concern!

IMG_2529.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE 20mm F1.8
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 5000

IMG_2363.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE 20mm F1.8
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 3200

You're testing the limits by shooting straight into the lights with a wide aperture.
I recon it's an interesting image with a crop and clone anyway.

Capture.JPG

Time to get a new camera I think... 🚀
For the trip to Norway. I was thinking the same. It’s an astrology cruise and it will be perpetually twilight, but plenty of wildlife around. Tricky job for A7iv

For the trip to Norway. I was thinking the same. It’s an astrology cruise and it will be perpetually twilight, but plenty of wildlife around. Tricky job for A7iv
Why tricky? The dynamic range of these cameras is so similar I'm not sure it'd matter. In fact, the A7-IV is better than the A1 or either of the A9s up to ISO 600 by 1 stop +/-. Once they all reach their second native ISO at just under ISO 800 it's a dead heat.

I know a guy from my M-4/3 days who is a professional Northern Lights guide in Alaska. He shoots an Olympus OM-1. Pretty sure the A7 IV can match that.

Screenshot 2023-06-18 064108.jpg

Last edited:
Why tricky? The dynamic range of these cameras is so similar I'm not sure it'd matter. In fact, the A7-IV is better than the A1 or either of the A9s up to ISO 600 by 1 stop +/-. Once they all reach their second native ISO at just under ISO 800 it's a dead heat.

I know a guy from my M-4/3 days who is a professional Northern Lights guide in Alaska. He shoots an Olympus OM-1. Pretty sure the A7 IV can match that.

View attachment 41139
That’s good to know. I was thinking of puffins, eagles, narwohls? and lots of northern hemisphere wildlife I thought I’d never see!

That’s good to know. I was thinking of puffins, eagles, narwohls? and lots of northern hemisphere wildlife I thought I’d never see!
If speed is the need, then I can see it. If you need to crop mercilessly, I can see it. If it's low light, there's no advantage.

Not sure how fast Narwhals are...

Let's see!

Exactly! Just as I suspected, needs a new camera... 😎

20230526-DSC02895-Enhanced-NR.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 250.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 800
DSC02724.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 576.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 4000

The A7IV handles Puffins (they are numerous and not afraid of humans) on the ground where I struggle (notice I said I and not the camera) is fast birds flying. The other issue I am having post trip editing on photos I took of Iceland from a ship is landscapes, birds and cropping. Brings the conversation of the A7RV vs the A 1 vs the A9iii. Now again my family is impressed with the photos but as I work thru them on 4K monitor I am disappointed, ego? I want more resolution, more speed and that stacked sensor. Brings up Brownie's point for me; "what are you doing with your photos?"

Now again my family is impressed with the photos but as I work thru them on 4K monitor I am disappointed, ego?

It's not called ego at all. It's called knowledge and passion. As was discussed last week, the average person doesn't even know what a technically great image is. You being disappointed is knowing the attributes of a great image, being unhappy with the shots where you haven't fulfilled that, then having the passion to challenge yourself to be better next time.

All jokes aside but Gaz. I'd have thought the A7IV to be on the very short list of best camera you can possibly buy for that job...

All jokes aside but Gaz. I'd have thought the A7IV to be on the very short list of best camera you can possibly buy for that job...
Hmmm, ok. I can see that working out. I wonder if my girlfriend needs a new camera?

Hmmm, ok. I can see that working out. I wonder if my girlfriend needs a new camera?

Not sure about your girlfriend, but I still do stand firm on you needing a new one though, despite my previous comment... 😄

View attachment 41145View attachment 41146
The A7IV handles Puffins (they are numerous and not afraid of humans) on the ground where I struggle (notice I said I and not the camera) is fast birds flying. The other issue I am having post trip editing on photos I took of Iceland from a ship is landscapes, birds and cropping. Brings the conversation of the A7RV vs the A 1 vs the A9iii. Now again my family is impressed with the photos but as I work thru them on 4K monitor I am disappointed, ego? I want more resolution, more speed and that stacked sensor. Brings up Brownie's point for me; "what are you doing with your photos?"

Love your puffins! Challenge accepted!

Love your puffins! Challenge accepted!
Gaz, just to be clear. Puffins on the ground are easy, you can photograph them with any decent camera, they actually pose for you. Puffins in the air are a different story. I enjoy the challenge of landscapes and BIF so I am looking for more resolution and speed, I am getting decent results with the A7iv but I want more. No challenge by me, just sharing my experience with the camera. Norway will be awesome it is on our bucket list for next year.

New in Marketplace

Back