Followers
Following
Name
Ted E
Country
United States
City/State
Denver
Hi. I just got the A7iii camera, and I'm trying to round out my lens collection. I already got the Tamron 28-75 F/2.8, but I see a great deal for the Sony 50mm f/1.8 for around $160 new.

I mostly do night and landscape photography, so I'm already hesitant to add a 50mm prime, but I thought it would be a nice lightweight travel lens. However, I'm not sure if the image quality will actually be any better than the Tamron, and from reviews, it looks like there's a decent amount of coma on light sources with the 50mm prime.

Does anyone have these two lenses that could give me their honest opinion if the 50mm is worth the money when I already have the Tamron? Thank you.

Hello @Mtn_nut

I have the kit lens (28-70 or something like that), the 70-200 f/4 and the 50 f/1.8. Except for sports, the 50mm is the way to go. Totally happy with it. Belive it or not, the extra stop makes a huge difference. As usual, primes are sharper than zooms (at least, in my experience) . You might rent/borrow/test one and check the difference. Another good option is the 85mm. If you can afford it, it's quite good.

Back