iain clyne

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Iain Clyne
Well my A1 is at the camera hospital. I am not impressed how soft this camera is when it is sold as a pro body. I dropped it with my 200-600 lens on in the house onto a wooden floor. The drop was only about two feet but the mount on the camera moves out from the body and the movement goes right into the camera. I am guessing that where it fixes to inside the body has broken.
A number of years ago I dropped a Nikon D4 and 300 f2.8 about 3-4 feet onto concrete, there was a broken bit of concrete a few marks on the D4 body but that was it, Some 200k shots later it was put in as px for a D5 and was still going.
That what pro bodies should be like.

Rant over. 😂

That sucks, sorry to hear it.

Not good at all. I must admit I'd have expected it to be more robust, but I suspect there was leverage from the lens in play. I remember the one from the last winter Olympics that got knocked downhill by a skier. It was unharmed.

Well my A1 is at the camera hospital. I am not impressed how soft this camera is when it is sold as a pro body. I dropped it with my 200-600 lens on in the house onto a wooden floor. The drop was only about two feet but the mount on the camera moves out from the body and the movement goes right into the camera. I am guessing that where it fixes to inside the body has broken.
A number of years ago I dropped a Nikon D4 and 300 f2.8 about 3-4 feet onto concrete, there was a broken bit of concrete a few marks on the D4 body but that was it, Some 200k shots later it was put in as px for a D5 and was still going.
That what pro bodies should be like.

Rant over. 😂
:mad:

Sorry to hear that Iain. Thankfully I've not dropped my A1 yet but I did take a tumble with my A7R III with the 100-400 on it. We landed on a hard rock with the lens hood and my forehead taking the brunt of the force. The lens hood needed replacing but the camera was fine apart from a small dent in the body. I hope the repair bill isn't too eye watering!

Sorry to here that Iain complete bummer that, I dropped the a9 with the same lens a month or so ago and it was on carpet so all good, hope it not a big deal Iain

Oh man I'm sorry to hear. I would probably feel the same way. For what its worth, I dropped a A7RV and 100-400 onto concrete from 3 feet and all it did was shut itself off, restart and it was fine. And I tested the heck out of it. I've read that dropped cameras are really such a crapshoot; depends on where the impact hits the camera and how the energy is dispersed in the frame vs critical components like the mount, or internal parts where calibration is critical. From the paint chip I could tell my drop hit the hotshoe. Good luck with the repairs.

weird i dropped my a1 with 200-600 on a concrete pavement with a battery grip ,i have a mark dink on top of evf ,but still working but i always ensure my lens mount screws are tightened if any play here this will be a weak point of lens and camera ,i am also insured i phoned my local repair sony dealer which is in horley he said if still working do not bother to bring it in for assesment ,but it is worrying ,i know most other cameras would of failed especially latest iterartions of canon and nikon being plastic bodies

Sorry to hear that. I guess it landed at a bad angle and the leverage of the long heavy lens did the damage. I hope the repair isn’t too expensive.

Sorry to hear about this and I would of cried if this happened to me.
Like Timothy I took a tumble with my A7iii and broke my rib with the hand that was holding the camera.
Not a thing happened to the camera but it made for a short day out for me.
Again so sorry to hear that this has happened.

I have dropped two cameras one slightly damaged on concrete but the last one was a Canon EOS-1D X on an escalator. I was carrying it on my shoulder mounted on a tripod, I was not looking it hit the ceiling as we went up and fell backward and destroyed the lens and camera. Things happen, we repair or replace, no camera is really built to be dropped.

Insurance have paid out so just waiting for the camera to come back. When I last looked they were waiting for parts.

Back