Sony A6000 A6000 manual settings -6 daylight lights - Still grey background

CPB

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Mike G
Hello all,
I have tried Auto, Aperture priority, Program mode and now 100% manual and I am still doing something wrong.
I can get my image looking good but the image will go on a website with a 100% white background.
I can't use a flash as the items I am taking pictures of have a reflective surface and cause major issues with a flash.
Here are my current setting (even though I've gone all over above and below these settings:
Custom white balance - Set spot for focus area and it comes up as 5300k
50mm Sony lens (I'll have to find model if it is important but not the kit lens.).
f/4
1/250 sec
2000 ISO (not needed to be so fast but tried for light)
No flash
Creative style set for standard
DRO Auto

Shooting RAW and JPG.
I can load the JPG in gimp and do a sample of the background and it shows as around R240 G241 B243 (obviously different in different locations but all pretty close). Raw image shows in percentages and those are around R 89.8% G 90.2% and B 92.3%.

I am trying to avoid much post production changes because even with my best attempts to replace the background with a pure 100% white the object gets choppy along the edges when zoomed in. I also don't want the object I'm taking pictures of to be too enhanced. Some settings I've tried (and I've tried a lot) make it look very standout and better than real life. I want true to life not enhanced.
I am considering buying a gray card and trying that as that is what my reading seems to say is the magic fix but it just surprises me I can't get pure white background when I meter off the pure white background and use daylight photography bulbs.

Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Mike

Welcome Mike.
The gray card sounds like the right shot (no pun intended) for you. Perhaps get one of the gray card combos with the color checker so you have flexibility in post? What are you using for editing?

Hello FowlersFreeTime,
I am using GIMP for the jpgs. I don't have a great program for the RAW images but Microsoft photo is about the only thing I have used.
I have added a gray card to my amazon account for purchase the next time I make an order and will give that a shot too.
Mike

Hi CPB.
Without seeing the photos, I'm not sure I understand the issue, but it sounds like your images are underexposed. Check out this video

This picture was an experiment this morning. I wouldn't normally share it because I'm not happy with the composition. However, we don't get snow very often, and I used exposure compensation (+1.0) to get the snow in the foreground closer to white instead of grey.
A7403853_Panorama.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS (SEL24105G)
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 100

Back