Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United States
City/State
FL
I recently bought an a7R iv. The AF is verrrry slow even for snapshot travel shots or family get together/party shots. Trying to capture a moving child or flying bird would be impossible with this camera. Has anyone experienced this? How can I speed it up????

Not in my experience, I have loads of flight shots, including fast birds.. Which lens are you using, and how bright was the day? Also, which focus mode?

what are your af settings? using one point, tracking, wide, etc..? also, what lens, kevriano is right that some lenses will focus faster than others. if your lens has an af distance limiter switch you could try limiting the area it will search in.

i shoot wildlife (200-600mm) with the a7riv and have been happy enough with the af.

For more and better responses, consider mentioning your lens, basic cam settings (mode, FA, AF, AFC, etc), and lighting when posing an issue; that gives us more to go on without making blind guesses. This helps you out with faster solutions. When you say "slow" --- is that 1,2,3,4 seconds? The more detail you offer,, the easier it is to pinpoint the solution faster.

Maybe start with mode on "Auto" and try outdoors w bright lighting and shoot high-contrast targets. If still slow AF -- go thru all settings one-by-one in menu to set your preferred shot conditions/selections. If that doesn't work, give us some more details. We'll try to help you. You picked a good camera!

Last edited:
Back