Sony A9 a9 ARW files "not supported"

RW0689

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Rick Wilhoit
I just returned from a trip during which I shot over 30,000 photos with my Sony a9 over many days. While reviewing the files through Windows, I ran into 1276 files that are not viewable through Windows. Windows states that the files are "not supported." The first ninety (90) files in the folder are viewable, and all files in all of the other folders from the trip are viewable. I've attempted to view the folders in Sony's Imaging Edge application, but they aren't supported there, either. I also attempted to convert the files through Adobe's DNG converter, but it didn't support the files, either. Does anyone have any ideas about (1) what happened, and (2) how I can recover the files? I have uploaded one of the files, in case someone wants to take a whack at it. Thanks, in advance, for you interest and input.

Last edited:
I can't see the file you uploaded, but is the extension the same as the others?

It is the same. I guess the file wouldn’t post, since it is corrupted.

Can you take a photo of the file in photoshop or whichever programme you use?

Sure thing! I imported them into Lightroom. A screen shot is attached. I appreciate your interest.

Attachments

• Unsupported Files Imported Into Lightroom.jpg
    Unsupported Files Imported Into Lightroom.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 53
Interesting. I never use Lightroom, so I don't know if that's the way it normally names the files, or labels them, but that does seem a lot.
Are these files in between others that have been read successfully, or just on the front or back end of them? Also, have you tried importing with Bridge? I will assume your camera RAW is up to date, and as you have other files that shouldn't be the issue.
One other suggestion is to email me a file and I'll see if I can open it. I'll drop you a PM with my email.

The first ninety files in the folder are good. The ninety-first one is half-good...in other words, it's like someone dropped a curtain, and the bottom half is not there. All of the files thereafter in the folder are not supported. The files in the next folder, with the sequential file number continued from the previous folder (the last file of which was not supported), are all good, as are all of the other files that I shot on the trip. It's a weird one, for sure. I appreciate your interest and help on this. I'll be happy to send you a few files, to see if you have any luck.

Hi. It really is very odd. I have had no luck opening the file you sent. All the properties and the extension seem right, though the only data it shows is the file size. There is clearly data there as it's 23.5mb, but nothing opens it and I get the same unsupported file or incorrect file type error. I've tried n 4 different programmes.
My wife had this happen on her Nikon, but I was able to open those on my Mac, which I no longer have set up, but ultimately it was a failing card that caused the issue. Sadly I don't think there's anything you can do to recover these now, but I would definitely be ditching that card, or getting it replaced under warranty.
Sorry I couldn't help more.

Kev:

Thanks a million! I really appreciate it! I'll be getting rid of the card. It's served me well, up until now (128GB Sony TOUGH SD). If I can ever repay the favor, don't hesitate to let me know.

Kev:

Thanks a million! I really appreciate it! I'll be getting rid of the card. It's served me well, up until now (128GB Sony TOUGH SD). If I can ever repay the favor, don't hesitate to let me know.
No worries. That card will be warranty covered for sure, I'm sure it's 5 years on the Tough cards, so get in touch with Sony.

Back