a9 II a9ii firmware update

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

@dhoshide

Newcomer
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Dec 11, 2020
Name
daryl Hoshide
my a9ii arrives next week. is there any reason to NOT update immediately? I have read the main features of the update are flicker and eye AF. I do not initially intend od shooting under fluorescent lighting or have a need for eye AF. some updates have caused issues with camera or certain lenses or iMAC flow, so that is why I am asking. thanks.

@dhoshide

Newcomer
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Dec 11, 2020
Name
daryl Hoshide
the owner of the camera shop said "get the camera all set up with the lens and shoot away. if I feel the update is worth it then go for it." seems the update is for flicker and eye AF, but like I said I do not shoot indoors or people. having said that there are lots of people that say to always update and others say wait. now I am on the fence.

liggy

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 13, 2020
I typically update right away. Didn’t realize that my camera was still on 1.01 until updating a lens today.
Did the upgrade and the face / eye recognition seems quicker but even better the startup lag seems improved.

Very happy about that as it kind of annoyed me.

Reactions: @dhoshide

FFN

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Jan 3, 2021
Name
Jim Troxell
It depends on your level of experience updating firmware. Assuming you are familiar with the process - getting an A9II sure indicates you have experience - it was not a problem for me to update it. Many times Sony and other camera makers do not list all of the improvements and bug fixes with new firmware releases and that is why I usually update soon after release.

Reactions: @dhoshide

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.