@dhoshide

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
daryl Hoshide
my a9ii arrives next week. is there any reason to NOT update immediately? I have read the main features of the update are flicker and eye AF. I do not initially intend od shooting under fluorescent lighting or have a need for eye AF. some updates have caused issues with camera or certain lenses or iMAC flow, so that is why I am asking. thanks.

the owner of the camera shop said "get the camera all set up with the lens and shoot away. if I feel the update is worth it then go for it." seems the update is for flicker and eye AF, but like I said I do not shoot indoors or people. having said that there are lots of people that say to always update and others say wait. now I am on the fence.

I typically update right away. Didn’t realize that my camera was still on 1.01 until updating a lens today.
Did the upgrade and the face / eye recognition seems quicker but even better the startup lag seems improved.

Very happy about that as it kind of annoyed me.

It depends on your level of experience updating firmware. Assuming you are familiar with the process - getting an A9II sure indicates you have experience - it was not a problem for me to update it. Many times Sony and other camera makers do not list all of the improvements and bug fixes with new firmware releases and that is why I usually update soon after release.

Back