Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
I must be bored or something. Having exhausted all reviews of Sony's current offerings, and with the rumored announcements of the 9III and an 'high-resolution, unknown, never before contemplated by man' camera being months away, I think I've determined that if I were to buy a new camera today, it'd be the A7R V. Speed-wise it's nestled comfortably between the A7 IV and A7R III, and it has all the fancy latest and greatest features and AF. When this camera was released I said I'd never buy one, but other than the high res, it's a decent fit with some low-light compromise compared to the A7 IV.

Right now the R III is still my best fit, if they could just update the AF, processor, and add Lossless Compressed...

It's under serious consideration here, especially since I heard about the now fabled (here) focus stacking, which has great interest for me and the macro stuff (MOTHS RARELY MOVE!)

FWIW, I now have an RV that backs up an A1. Feels like an embarrassment of riches. I love both cameras, and the RV AF is really excellent. I'll also be using it for some landscape shooting that I want to do more of.

FWIW, I now have an RV that backs up an A1. Feels like an embarrassment of riches. I love both cameras, and the RV AF is really excellent. I'll also be using it for some landscape shooting that I want to do more of.
Do you think it's good enough for BIF tracking?

Do you think it's good enough for BIF tracking?
Its an interesting question. I simply don't do allot of BIF, but when I do, given my skill level I would defer strongly to the A1. I think RV users who are used to the camera, have good technique, and can work past the EVF blackout will do very well. I've seen very nice BIF shots from the RV, I just know its not my forte so I would be naïve to pin it on the camera. Can the AF module track and hold the subject on the RV? absolutely. While only owning the A1 a week and shooting a few times, initial impression is bird eye AF and subject detection are a bit better on the RV.

It's under serious consideration here, especially since I heard about the now fabled (here) focus stacking, which has great interest for me and the macro stuff (MOTHS RARELY MOVE!)
Dead parrots nailed to logs do not either

I'm going to report you for grouse misconduct. 😁

Stop sniping at each other

I see what you did there Kev, I think you need to be more direct or am I missing something ;)

I got worried the joke was on me, because I took this image this weekend. Assure everyone, parrot was very much alive! :)
53014868202_dae080ca4f_o (1).jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 800

No Roger it is a private joke between Kev and myself and Tim, and I missed parrot shot sorry its a nice shot Roger :)

I must be bored or something. Having exhausted all reviews of Sony's current offerings, and with the rumored announcements of the 9III and an 'high-resolution, unknown, never before contemplated by man' camera being months away, I think I've determined that if I were to buy a new camera today, it'd be the A7R V. Speed-wise it's nestled comfortably between the A7 IV and A7R III, and it has all the fancy latest and greatest features and AF. When this camera was released I said I'd never buy one, but other than the high res, it's a decent fit with some low-light compromise compared to the A7 IV.

Right now the R III is still my best fit, if they could just update the AF, processor, and add Lossless Compressed...
I pre-ordered the A7RV, and it's a very enjoyable camera. I choose it over the A1 when I'm not shooting fast.

The A7RV is a significantly better camera than the A7RIV, with a lot more than just the new AF to it (although the new AF is a big thing.

One of the reasons I would choose the A7RV over the A7IV is the rear screen - being able to do the simple tilt for waist level shoot is really handy, and I like being able to turn the screen inwards to keep nose prints off it while I'm using the EVF. And that's a lovely segue to the EVF - same EVF as the A1 (it "only" goes to 120fps because the sensor isn't stacked) - the resolution lets you see more, and at a better magnification.

That only question you might consider is if the price of the A7RV might drop when the A1 II arrives? But that's likely next year, and you could be using the A7RV for that year :)

I pre-ordered the A7RV, and it's a very enjoyable camera. I choose it over the A1 when I'm not shooting fast.

The A7RV is a significantly better camera than the A7RIV, with a lot more than just the new AF to it (although the new AF is a big thing.

One of the reasons I would choose the A7RV over the A7IV is the rear screen - being able to do the simple tilt for waist level shoot is really handy, and I like being able to turn the screen inwards to keep nose prints off it while I'm using the EVF. And that's a lovely segue to the EVF - same EVF as the A1 (it "only" goes to 120fps because the sensor isn't stacked) - the resolution lets you see more, and at a better magnification.

That only question you might consider is if the price of the A7RV might drop when the A1 II arrives? But that's likely next year, and you could be using the A7RV for that year :)
I'll probably use what I have for the remainder of the season. I'm thinking the A9III won't be my new love, I am really interested to see what this new mega camera is.

As I've said before, the A7RV or just the R series for that matter have impressed me so much that I will just upgrade to each new R series camera from now on.

An interesting thing upgrading to the RV did show me though was just how amazing the 3rd generation A7's must have been when they came out at the end of 2017! The difference is absolutely not light and day.

Edit: Just thought I'd revisit this. To me, the taking photo process between the two generations is not light and day, that's what I meant. But the camera overall as an instrument is a light and day difference, it doesn't have anything new that you necessarily need but it has many a things which make your life so easy. I think the handling, usability and general experience has increased quite considerably, with the actual photo taking aspect being a smaller margin. But when you combine these small improvements as a complete package you are just looking at a very well rounded and complete do it all camera in my opinion. I love the thing very very dearly, maybe I should add another very... 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping to get my hands on an V today.

Try. I'm not paying UK prices!!!

I saw that Panamoz have them at about 400 dollars less than here. Not that I am in the mkt for one or anything

I saw that Panamoz have them at about 400 dollars less than here. Not that I am in the mkt for one or anything
UK shop price £3999, Pamamoz/E Infinity £2720...

I love my A7R V, which replaced my first FF Sony camera, the beloved A7R IV, and which also is a wonderful companion to the A1. Each camera has its own niche; the A1 pretty much takes care of all of the shooting of birds and wildlife with the 100-400mm or 200-600mm lenses as it is capable of speedy bursts when needed, and the A 7R V is the one upon which I call when it is time to do something at a more leisurely pace: macros, closeups and also just more general shooting.

Absolutely go for the A7R V! It's a wonderful camera!

What do you think Kev are going for it?
It's very nice, the screen is great, and it's potential using stacking is interesting X, but I couldn't test that. AF is definitely a mile better too, though I couldn't test it on BIF.
If I have enough money left after I have cashed in part of a pension to pay for our solar installation, it will be in my hands by the end of the year (unless Sony release something more amazing, which is unlikely).
@Clix Pix . Do you think the AF is as quick to lock on as the A1, and is it more accurate than the RiV? Ta

Back