Am I really thinking about this?

It's very nice, the screen is great, and it's potential using stacking is interesting X, but I couldn't test that. AF is definitely a mile better too, though I couldn't test it on BIF.
If I have enough money left after I have cashed in part of a pension to pay for our solar installation, it will be in my hands by the end of the year (unless Sony release something more amazing, which is unlikely).
@Clix Pix . Do you think the AF is as quick to lock on as the A1, and is it more accurate than the RiV? Ta
Absolutely, yes the AF is VERY quick to lock-on, and, yes, accurate as well, which surprised me after my A7R IV. I use the A7R V for most of my macro work and general photography and have never been disappointed. When I want absolute speed and a Continuous High setting cranking out at 20fps or higher, such as when shooting BIF, hat's what the A1 is for. Each camera has found her own niche here. I tend to use single-shot on the A7R V and Continuous High on the A1, and this works out well for me. That said, I have used the A7R V for shooting wild birds in the water and again the images have been nailed in terms of focus. That eye-focus thing is just amazing and makes a huge difference when shooting wildlife!

I have not tried out the focus-stacking thing, although a lot of people who shoot macro, closeups or tabletop scenes with various camera brands tend to use that much of the time, as is evident by the images they share. I still prefer to have a bit of nice softness/bokeh, whatever, to showcase the primary subject that I have shot with my macro lens.

Absolutely, yes the AF is VERY quick to lock-on, and, yes, accurate as well, which surprised me after my A7R IV. I use the A7R V for most of my macro work and general photography and have never been disappointed. When I want absolute speed and a Continuous High setting cranking out at 20fps or higher, such as when shooting BIF, hat's what the A1 is for. Each camera has found her own niche here. I tend to use single-shot on the A7R V and Continuous High on the A1, and this works out well for me. That said, I have used the A7R V for shooting wild birds in the water and again the images have been nailed in terms of focus. That eye-focus thing is just amazing and makes a huge difference when shooting wildlife!

I have not tried out the focus-stacking thing, although a lot of people who shoot macro, closeups or tabletop scenes with various camera brands tend to use that much of the time, as is evident by the images they share. I still prefer to have a bit of nice softness/bokeh, whatever, to showcase the primary subject that I have shot with my macro lens.
Yeah the focus stack is of interest for Macro to me, but not to be used every time, just when things areng quite all in the focal plane like a caterpillar I shot this week, even at f22 the extremities of the subject were just getting lost, so this is where it will be mighty useful.

It's very nice, the screen is great, and it's potential using stacking is interesting X, but I couldn't test that. AF is definitely a mile better too, though I couldn't test it on BIF.
If I have enough money left after I have cashed in part of a pension to pay for our solar installation, it will be in my hands by the end of the year (unless Sony release something more amazing, which is unlikely).
@Clix Pix . Do you think the AF is as quick to lock on as the A1, and is it more accurate than the RiV? Ta
We had solar installed back in April. It's generated 3.6 MWh since then from a 7.5 kWh system with 6 kWh inverter. Didn't bother with a battery as it would of been out of warranty before we saw any payback. It's saving us around £180 a month right now including what we get paid for exporting but that will drop massively in the winter. We use quite a bit though as we have an electric car.

I'd definitely try to test the A1 if you can Kev. I've not shot a great deal of birds in flight since I got my a7RV but I was trying to shoot a leucistic crow in flight the other day and it didn't lock on so easily. I don't recall any occasions when my A1 hasn't locked on to whatever I've pointed it at. If you are ever over Shropshire way I'll happily lend you my A1 for the day :)

We had solar installed back in April. It's generated 3.6 MWh since then from a 7.5 kWh system with 6 kWh inverter. Didn't bother with a battery as it would of been out of warranty before we saw any payback. It's saving us around £180 a month right now including what we get paid for exporting but that will drop massively in the winter. We use quite a bit though as we have an electric car.

I'd definitely try to test the A1 if you can Kev. I've not shot a great deal of birds in flight since I got my a7RV but I was trying to shoot a leucistic crow in flight the other day and it didn't lock on so easily. I don't recall any occasions when my A1 hasn't locked on to whatever I've pointed it at. If you are ever over Shropshire way I'll happily lend you my A1 for the day :)
Thanks Tim. The batteries for us kind of make sense, because in winter we can buy and store power overnight on a cheap tariff and use it in peak. It's 2800 more, I reckon we will see it back in 5 years, and they have a 6000 charge cycle life, that's 14 years give or take.
As for the A1, I will try one either in the shop or Unframed Dave has offered and we live 20 minutes apart, so logistically easier :D I appreciate the offer though.

you will be well served with either kev ,although i do not think sony has the quickest acquisition of subject in af anymore ,but at least it will not drop of your subject on to backgroun to often ,like others ,biggest weakness is the 200-600 in low light you can not replace physics ,a 600mm f4 or 400mm f2.8 will just be superior in low light ,in fact the 100-400mm is probably slightly better due to better af motors ,i do look at the a7r5 at those import prices and think yeah ill have that ,but must hold on if a a9mk3 comes out this fall with a 33mp sensor and 40-50fps then ill be looking here stacked sensors and silent shooting still have some allure to me

you will be well served with either kev ,although i do not think sony has the quickest acquisition of subject in af anymore ,but at least it will not drop of your subject on to backgroun to often ,like others ,biggest weakness is the 200-600 in low light you can not replace physics ,a 600mm f4 or 400mm f2.8 will just be superior in low light ,in fact the 100-400mm is probably slightly better due to better af motors ,i do look at the a7r5 at those import prices and think yeah ill have that ,but must hold on if a a9mk3 comes out this fall with a 33mp sensor and 40-50fps then ill be looking here stacked sensors and silent shooting still have some allure to me
I don't worry too much about low light these days, I don't bother with BIF in those conditions any more.

I don't worry too much about low light these days, I don't bother with BIF in those conditions any more.
The low light is difficult unless you throw big money at fast glass we have to just live with it I guess

The low light is difficult unless you throw big money at fast glass we have to just live with it I guess
Yeah, but also, what's the point if the skies are flat and grey. I just don't bother.

Yeah, but also, what's the point if the skies are flat and grey. I just don't bother.
Well yes but if I dont go out it means work for me, so it gives me a time off from that

I still go out, but I won't take many shots.

also bright contrasty days are a waste of time ,give me natures filters everytime clouds,and england spend 3/4 of the year in these conditions ,i still convince myself a big white prime is all i need ,and those short eared owls are back now, they like a bit of dawn and dusk also like most owls .but then how many images are rated on the size of aperture ,not many ,guess i will carry on regardless ,still a lightweight 600 f5.6 with a built in t/c could do wonders.

Back