Followers
Following
Name
Keith Horkins
Country
Canada
City/State
Ontario
Well yesterday I thought I had taken a photograph of the smallest living thing I.e. a spider. Well today I matched it with this guy..
To photos one stacked in Helicon focus stacking software, and one taken with my Laowa 100mm 2.8 and just one photo taken.. personally I think the one shot photo is my fave..
FDC476F7-6E3E-4923-9A2C-84072D649CE3.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4A
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 200
42451F1E-22E0-4C44-A8E5-9019A0B90CDF.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4A
  • ----
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 200

Very nice very sharp image(s) Keith....(y) the slightly blurred image is the single shot and fully developed one stacked I assume.

seems your Louwa lens is performing well......?

I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my 85mm Louwa x2 lens as well as a Nikon to Sony manual adaptor for my Nikon 200mm f4 macro lens....My
D850 which i sometimes use and does internal focus stacking, but want to use my A1 as an alternative also - Even though Sony have not yet caught up

How did you find helicon....I have used photoshop in the past to focus stack with my novaflex rails but seem to find helicon is more thorough and Accurate than photoshop.

I don’t know if you follow alan watts....an Australian heavy duty macro enthusiast but his YouTube videos are really worth watching if you haven’t seen them.

Thanks Ray..
I had know idea this spiders eyes was so big!! It was impossible to see them with your eyes he is that tiny..
I will check Alan Watts out..
I really like Helicon it’s very easy to use..

Thanks Ray..
I had know idea this spiders eyes was so big!! It was impossible to see them with your eyes he is that tiny..
I will check Alan Watts out..
I really like Helicon it’s very easy to use..
Yes this is a jumping spider they have up to 8 compound eyes and you are lucky to have them around you....there are many different types and some
really beautiful coloured versions if you can find them.......they can jump many times there body dimensions........

They respond to handling very well and exhibit near "tame" qualities if you keep them in a tank with vegitation etc and interact with them occasionally..

I only wish i had some around me.....

Alan Watts is very into bugs in studio macro, equipment, and high end focus stacking, stewart wood is another youtuber from the uk who keeps jumping spiders for his photography work but is also a good field guy.

I like the first image. I'm not a fan of stacking personally, too much faff and reliance on software :)

I like the first image. I'm not a fan of stacking personally, too much faff and reliance on software :)
Thanks Kev..
Actually the first image is the stacked image of 12 shots.. the second image is just one shot..

Thanks Kev..
Actually the first image is the stacked image of 12 shots.. the second image is just one shot..
Hi Keith I know I have bombarded you with questions but just for further unferstanding if the spider was alive, how did you get it to remain still....?

Hi Keith I know I have bombarded you with questions but just for further unferstanding if the spider was alive, how did you get it to remain still....?
I guess I was lucky .. he is definitely alive and well, I’ve actually had him awhile to be honest, maybe he likes the spotlight 😊, but when he moves I have to be quick to cover him otherwise he would be gone… I’ve been feeding him and he seems quite content really.. I’m pretty much done with him now so I’m gonna release him back in the garden..

I guess I was lucky .. he is definitely alive and well, I’ve actually had him awhile to be honest, maybe he likes the spotlight 😊, but when he moves I have to be quick to cover him otherwise he would be gone… I’ve been feeding him and he seems quite content really.. I’m pretty much done with him now so I’m gonna release him back in the garden..
(y)

Back