Name
Jock Brocas
Country
United States
City/State
North Carolina
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hey guys, I am Jock, I live in the USA and I love photography. One aspect that helps me relax and another semi pro in my business. Love to connect with other Photo Folks and just upgraded from my sony a6600 to A7RV, Which only just arrived and i am learning to set up for both photo and video. I used to shoot Nikon before and then changed to sony and never regretted it. I am possibly considering buying an FX30 as a B Cam, so would love to hear what others think if they have it,

Welcome aboard Jock!

Welcome Jock! Hell of an upgrade!
What kind of genres you like to shoot?
Also, our forum is a bit light in terms of video users, so your experience might be helpful if you see anyone bring up questions on that topic.

Welcome Jock! Hell of an upgrade!
What kind of genres you like to shoot?
Also, our forum is a bit light in terms of video users, so your experience might be helpful if you see anyone bring up questions on that topic.
I love to shoot landscape and some commercial. However, i have been wanting to do more street photograhy and capture those moments in time that are often miss. I can't say that i am pro on video, I am capable but will be happy to help out where i can. I am really weak on editing skills for photo and use luminar.

Hello and welcome. I am quite new here also and have found it to be an informative and friendly place so far. I am also new to the A7RV and am still experimenting with many settings.

Hello and welcome. I am quite new here also and have found it to be an informative and friendly place so far. I am also new to the A7RV and am still experimenting with many settings.
Yes, i was surprised at how much there is to learn about it and set it up, but it is a pure beast of a camera.

Had my a7r5 for nearly a year and a half. Mastering all the settings is very time consuming and well worth it. As far as Birds photography you have to go through all the bird recognition Etc and all the settings that are underneath that. I also use it with the 100 400 with a 1.4 multiplier. I recommending learning all the raw types and experimenting with them. They are not created equal but mostly they are different for Pixel papers. I don't know if you're one of those. I used compressed raw the most. Haven't used the pixel shift at all. I have used the focus bracketing and I really like it when it works a lot of times it gives me almost no brackets no matter what that stuff I use and sometimes it gives me a lot of brackets with almost the same thing it depends on exactly how your foreground midground distance is in the setup

Hey Jock, welcome to the Forum. I'm looking forward to seeing your images. I've had my A7iv for about 18 months and still haven't mastered it. I'm also keen to start taking video, but not not sure even where to start.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new toy!

Had my a7r5 for nearly a year and a half. Mastering all the settings is very time consuming and well worth it. As far as Birds photography you have to go through all the bird recognition Etc and all the settings that are underneath that. I also use it with the 100 400 with a 1.4 multiplier. I recommending learning all the raw types and experimenting with them. They are not created equal but mostly they are different for Pixel papers. I don't know if you're one of those. I used compressed raw the most. Haven't used the pixel shift at all. I have used the focus bracketing and I really like it when it works a lot of times it gives me almost no brackets no matter what that stuff I use and sometimes it gives me a lot of brackets with almost the same thing it depends on exactly how your foreground midground distance is in the setup
I have only had it for less than 48hours, so its a learning curve for sure. I got to get the hang of it fast as i have a paid job with it next week. i just bought the 24-70 Sigma art lens and that Yongnuo prime which has people buzzing. I am looking forward to playing with it, that's for sure. I will shoot in compressed raw, but looks like i am going to have to shell out for cf express A to get all the benefits i want, or at the least a new faster v90 sd. I can't see me using pixel shift at all.

Hey Jock, welcome to the Forum. I'm looking forward to seeing your images. I've had my A7iv for about 18 months and still haven't mastered it. I'm also keen to start taking video, but not not sure even where to start.
Great camera for video, you cannot go wrong there. Just invest in a good gimble so you negate the rolling shutter on it. You can't go wrong with it though.

Great camera for video, you cannot go wrong there. Just invest in a good gimble so you negate the rolling shutter on it. You can't go wrong with it though.
I tried out the video the other day (using s-cinetone and s-log3) at a level crossing with some trains going past. I was less than 2 metres from the trains as the passed me doing a reasonable speed and I couldn't detect any rolling shutter. I spent many hours yesterday doing a crash course in Final Cut Pro and found that I got much better results with the log footage than s-cinetone which surprised me a bit. I thought they would be quite close.

I have only had it for less than 48hours, so its a learning curve for sure. I got to get the hang of it fast as i have a paid job with it next week. i just bought the 24-70 Sigma art lens and that Yongnuo prime which has people buzzing. I am looking forward to playing with it, that's for sure. I will shoot in compressed raw, but looks like i am going to have to shell out for cf express A to get all the benefits i want, or at the least a new faster v90 sd. I can't see me using pixel shift at all.
Some of us have been getting the Pergear cards, they have good prices and seem to be reliable. Tim Mayo (forum owner) has tested them and they test pretty well. Right now you can get a 260G card with the reader for under $200 at Amazon, about the same price as a 256G V90 SD.

I tried out the video the other day (using s-cinetone and s-log3) at a level crossing with some trains going past. I was less than 2 metres from the trains as the passed me doing a reasonable speed and I couldn't detect any rolling shutter. I spent many hours yesterday doing a crash course in Final Cut Pro and found that I got much better results with the log footage than s-cinetone which surprised me a bit. I thought they would be quite close.
I would have thought the same to be honest. How was it different between the two?

I would have thought the same to be honest. How was it different between the two?
Once Sony's colour correction LUT is applied it just looked way better and took me a lot less adjustment to get it how I wanted. You have to make sure you shoot it at the correct ISO and expose it correctly but you need to do that with s-cinetone as well.

BTW, I am using Lexar cards in mine - a CF Express in slot A and a V90 in slot B. I bought them locally. Couldn't get them cheaper on Amazon or anywhere else.

Back