Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Cairns on the beach in the rain

-ST-

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
ST
Country
Canada
City/State
British Columbia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
The irresistible urge to make one's presence known
DSC03421.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II (SEL70200GM2)
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 250

Which do you like better, 70 mm above or 200 mm below? Thanks for your thoughts.
DSC03424.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II (SEL70200GM2)
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 640

I think the 70mm is way better, it's about the scene, then the rock piles tell some type of story about it which is obviously in the imagination of the looker. You can also get taken by the scene and barely even notice the rocks seeming that there is no clear story there. There's a roomy relaxed feeling either way...

The 200mm just forces your attention to the rocks, but with no obvious story it feels a bit intense and pushy. Almost like 'look at me' and then having no trick to perform...

I think the 70mm is way better, it's about the scene, then the rock piles tell some type of story about it which is obviously in the imagination of the looker. You can also get taken by the scene and barely even notice the rocks seeming that there is no clear story there. There's a roomy relaxed feeling either way...

The 200mm just forces your attention to the rocks, but with no obvious story it feels a bit intense and pushy. Almost like 'look at me' and then having no trick to perform...
Thanks, Clint.
Sincerely.

That's a terrific and insightful perspective.

One of the great joys of photography has been its gateway effect to some personal growth. I wander around, looking for opportunities to make a picture and see the world differently and wonder. On a good day, it leads to some research and learning.

I've seen these little piles of stones and thought - "Oh, how quaint." without much thought about why people do it, except perhaps to say "look at me", by proxy.

Before I posted the pictures I did a little digging and found out that building cairns is discouraged and in many places, illegal. They are "intense and pushy" in their physical manifestation of a human's desire to leave a mark on nature. Hence the title "The irresistible urge to make one's presence known"

Here's a little information

I agree with Clint: 70mm is my preference. The 200mm cuts out background details on a literal and metaphorical level.
70mm: rock cairn on a wet log at the beach on a bleak day. What's the story here?
200mm: rock cairn on a wet log... oh and its raining? Nice rocks I guess?

I agree with Clint: 70mm is my preference. The 200mm cuts out background details on a literal and metaphorical level.
70mm: rock cairn on a wet log at the beach on a bleak day. What's the story here?
200mm: rock cairn on a wet log... oh and its raining? Nice rocks I guess?
Thank you, Chris.
I appreciate your input.

New in Marketplace

Back