Name
ST
Country
Canada
City/State
British Columbia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I found this at the beach a couple of days ago. After doing image searches on the web, I can't figure out what it is. I took the picture because I liked the colour. Do you know what it is?
A7400330.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM (SEL50F12GM)
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 160

Here's another one I found yesterday.
A1_05486.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II (SEL70200GM2)
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 3200

If it would be water tide, it could be a Japanese fishing buoy. But is not glass and seemed to be open on the top.

Obviously brought here by Aliens!

Don't have the faintest idea what it could be, but makes a nice subject for photos 🙂

I don't know. But it reminds me of stuff out of Hindu life/rituals

DSC06570.JPG
  • ILCE-6500
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 1600

Thanks for taking an interest, everybody. Today, I found the first one on the ground, broken. It's pottery full of white rice (Basmati?).
A1_05584.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 140.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 3200

And I found something smaller but similar on a park bench.
A1_05591.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 500

I rarely move things I find in my travels, but I had some fun with this one. Yes, it was raining.
A1_05596.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 1000

A1_05605.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 143.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 200

Probably washed up from a fallen shipping container. Definitely looks of Indian origin.

Probably washed up from a fallen shipping container

I'm an atheist with inclinations towards Hinduism, who has lived in India for nearly twenty years. That doesn't mean to say that I know much about it! I'll ask around

I'm an atheist with inclinations towards Hinduism, who has lived in India for nearly twenty years. That doesn't mean to say that I know much about it! I'll ask around
The trouble is, at least here in the UK, what passes as Indian origin is very often far removed from the true thing. We see these sorts of things in our Indian restaurants and the like.

The trouble is, at least here in the UK, what passes as Indian origin is very often far removed from the true thing
Yes indeed, but you (ex-Londoner speaking) do have plenty of the real thing available. Genuine India/Sri-Lankan shopping areas, genuine working temples, etc etc.

My non-Hindu Indian wife and and our Hindu maid agree that they do not know exactly what it is: stuff varies from district to district, and it is not familiar to them as a South Indian thing. But they both agree with my suggestion that it really looks Hindu.

These things are usually hand made. It might be food prepared for a pilgrimage, or it may be some sort of offering which is thrown into the sea. That several are turning up suggests the latter. But I do not think it could have travelled thousands of miles on ocean currents, because water makes rice swell a lot: a fact that sank many a leaking ship as the planking came apart under the pressure. Of course, if it had been cooked before packing, that wouldn't count.

Indian diaspora is everywhere in the world, as are the Sri-Lankan Tamil communities originating from the refugee exodus. @-ST- , any local temple/community or even Indian-run local store? Print out a snap (oh wait, we have smart phones these days, no need for paper!) and enquire. You could also ask sailing/fishing folk whence, on the whole, drifting items on your beach are likely to have come.

My hunch is that that they didn't come far.

I took the above pic at a celebration/ritual for a 70th birthday. I think that the combination of pot, coconut, leaves, etc represents a deity. I do know that it can.
DSC06572.JPG
  • ILCE-6500
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 1600

Yes indeed, but you (ex-Londoner speaking) do have plenty of the real thing available. Genuine India/Sri-Lankan shopping areas, genuine working temples, etc etc.

My non-Hindu Indian wife and and our Hindu maid agree that they do not know exactly what it is: stuff varies from district to district, and it is not familiar to them as a South Indian thing. But they both agree with my suggestion that it really looks Hindu.

These things are usually hand made. It might be food prepared for a pilgrimage, or it may be some sort of offering which is thrown into the sea. That several are turning up suggests the latter. But I do not think it could have travelled thousands of miles on ocean currents, because water makes rice swell a lot: a fact that sank many a leaking ship as the planking came apart under the pressure. Of course, if it had been cooked before packing, that wouldn't count.

Indian diaspora is everywhere in the world, as are the Sri-Lankan Tamil communities originating from the refugee exodus. @-ST- , any local temple/community or even Indian-run local store? Print out a snap (oh wait, we have smart phones these days, no need for paper!) and enquire. You could also ask sailing/fishing folk whence, on the whole, drifting items on your beach are likely to have come.

My hunch is that that they didn't come far.

I took the above pic at a celebration/ritual for a 70th birthday. I think that the combination of pot, coconut, leaves, etc represents a deity. I do know that it can.
View attachment 52321
Indeed we do, London and Birmingham especially. As you say, so many regional variables too.
It could just be someone trying to imitate.

Back