Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
About 6 years ago I took a landscape workshop on the Isle of Skye. It rained. A lot. But here's a shot I quite liked taken on Elgol Beach. I don't really shoot much landscape stuff these days but I might make the effort again at some point :) CC welcome.

Elgol-Beach-DSC07922-2048px.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM2
  • FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 30 sec
  • ISO 400

Very cool, the long exposure makes the water through the rocks look like mist/smoke.

Sounds like you made the best of the conditions. My visit to Skye was not so productive (from a photography standpoint), so one day I hope to go again. Perhaps not early spring again though.

really nice, I'm inspired to get out and slap on the filters again.

About 6 years ago I took a landscape workshop on the Isle of Skye. It rained. A lot. But here's a shot I quite liked taken on Elgol Beach. I don't really shoot much landscape stuff these days but I might make the effort again at some point :) CC welcome.

View attachment 45973
I absolutely love this shot. The long exposure makes it look dreamy and off-world like (I could easily imagine some red shirts beaming down onto those rocks). I would try and crop out some of the top of the sky. While I love the colours, I'm curious to see what this would look like in Black and White?

Really cool. I'm not a big fan of long exposure but here it just works.

• Admin
Sounds like you made the best of the conditions. My visit to Skye was not so productive (from a photography standpoint), so one day I hope to go again. Perhaps not early spring again though.
It's always a bit hit and miss what you get up there. The warmer summer months give you a better chance of good weather but then you have the nasty midges to deal with. I was there again about 3 years ago in late October and we had a whole week of sunshine ☀️

• Admin
really nice, I'm inspired to get out and slap on the filters again.
Thanks Rodger. I think I was using the Lee Big Stopper at the time which gave it a slight blue cast. I've not used filters for years now but probably would if I was shooting landscapes more often.

I absolutely love this shot. The long exposure makes it look dreamy and off-world like (I could easily imagine some red shirts beaming down onto those rocks). I would try and crop out some of the top of the sky. While I love the colours, I'm curious to see what this would look like in Black and White?
Cheers Ed. I think the Lee Big Stopper that I was using at the time gave it the slight blue colour cast. Here's a B&W version for you :)

DSC07922-2.jpg

Nice shot Tim. I have loads of landscape shots from film days, but rarely bother now. I should really.

This effect doesn't always work but when you have the right location like this :love:

Nice shot Tim. I have loads of landscape shots from film days, but rarely bother now. I should really.
Cheers Kev! I'd probably be tinkering a lot more with seascapes if I was living on the coast. Although that salty water is not a cameras best friend!

Cheers Kev! I'd probably be tinkering a lot more with seascapes if I was living on the coast. Although that salty water is not a cameras best friend!
Nor is sand...

Found my best attempt at doing the long shutter with water.
Privateer Bay - St John - 12142021 - 03.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS (SEL24105G)
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1.6 sec
  • ISO 50

Back