Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
When I took my shots I had no idea that Deleted Member 5003 had done a post and I looked at when he had done and knew my shots were a long way off from his shots.
But I will post a few of what I got as at the time I didn't know he had done this post. I know if you compare our posts my will came a distant second.
But this is okay by me as this is my section I struggle with the most.. So well done Deleted Member 5003 on your shots.

This is a few of what I got.
Inland & Cowra 18-08-2023 (164).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 800
Inland & Cowra 18-08-2023 (165).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 800
Inland & Cowra 18-08-2023 (185).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 800
Inland & Cowra 18-08-2023 (186).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 800
Inland & Cowra 18-08-2023 (523).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 800

When I took my shots I had no idea that Deleted Member 5003 had done a post and I looked at when he had done and knew my shots were a long way off from his shots.
But I will post a few of what I got as at the time I didn't know he had done this post. I know if you compare our posts my will came a distant second.
But this is okay by me as this is my section I struggle with the most.. So well done Deleted Member 5003 on your shots.

This is a few of what I got.
View attachment 45391View attachment 45392View attachment 45393View attachment 45394View attachment 45395
No problem Ralph....your shots are very good. Its not about comparison but more about learning from the efforts of each other.... (y)

These are great Ralph. Nicely processed and natural looking.

No problem Ralph....your shots are very good. Its not about comparison but more about learning from the efforts of each other.... (y)
It was just funny how it worked out. I took a few shots and then come to the forum to see you had done the exact thing I was after. And I like what you have done over what I have done.
These are great Ralph. Nicely processed and natural looking.
Thanks so much Kev I really appreciate what you have said.

Very handy shots Ralph. Lovely edits too, nice and clean exactly as they should be! 👏

Top shots Ralph! You've done great especially with the now ageing A7III and a third-party lens.

Last edited:
Very handy shots Ralph. Lovely edits too, nice and clean exactly as they should be! 👏
Clint that is such a nice thing to say and thank you so much for saying it.
Top shots Ralph! You've done great especially with the now ageing A7III and a non native lens.
Thanks so much Timothy and to say the least I am more than happy with the camera and now with this new lens. Seems to be a good combination.

Top shots Ralph! You've done great especially with the now ageing A7III and a third party lens.
Not a good reply Tim there no reason what so ever that the a7iii can not take excellent pictures of birds in flight or anything else.

Not a good reply Tim there no reason what so ever that the a7iii can not take excellent pictures of birds in flight or anything else.
I'm not saying it can't, it's still an excellent camera despite it's age. However newer camera's have been released since that make life that little bit easier for the photographer, especially for shooting fast action like BIF. Or cameras like the A9/A1 will their stacked sensors will always perform better for fast action as this is what they have been designed to shoot. Although I've not used the Sigma 150-600 myself I do own their 100-400 and although it's an excellent lens for perched birds and slower subjects, when things start coming at speed towards the camera especially smaller subjects it will miss more shots compared to a non third party lens like the Sony 100-400 or 200-600. Ralph has done a cracking jobs with the tools at his disposal, especially for shooting swallows which are a challenge even with the A1 and native glass.

wow
I'm not saying it can't, it's still an excellent camera despite it's age. However newer camera's have been released since that make life that little bit easier for the photographer, especially for shooting fast action like BIF. Or cameras like the A9/A1 will their stacked sensors will always perform better for fast action as this is what they have been designed to shoot. Although I've not used the Sigma 150-600 myself I do own their 100-400 and although it's an excellent lens for perched birds and slower subjects, when things start coming at speed towards the camera especially smaller subjects it will miss more shots compared to a non third party lens like the Sony 100-400 or 200-600. Ralph has done a cracking jobs with the tools at his disposal, especially for shooting swallows which are a challenge even with the A1 and native glass.
I know Tim and you make points we are aware of, but many members dont have the funds for the latest and greatest so need to believe they can grab the shots they crave, many can and have the latest and greatest and dont do any better they just think they do. I have still have the a7iii and use it (y)

wow

I know Tim and you make points we are aware of, but many members dont have the funds for the latest and greatest so need to believe they can grab the shots they crave, many can and have the latest and greatest and dont do any better they just think they do. I have still have the a7iii and use it (y)
I can see why my comment would be viewed that way but I certainly was not suggesting Ralph dump all his gear and remortgage his home just to buy an A1 to get a few more keepers. I simply wanted to say that he had done a cracking job with the A7III and a third party lens because these type are shots are a lot more difficult to pull off with that combo compared to others. Ralph and I have exchanged messages and he knows that no offence was intended.

I am fine with what was said and I fully understand what Timothy was saying.
And I hope that I don't have to update for a couple of years yet as with the new lens it seems like I am using completely new camera already.
The new lens, camera and me took a while to get our game all together and I think we have hit the right formula now and very happy with it all.

I can see why my comment would be viewed that way but I certainly was not suggesting Ralph dump all his gear and remortgage his home just to buy an A1 to get a few more keepers. I simply wanted to say that he had done a cracking job with the A7III and a non-native lens because these type are shots are a lot more difficult to pull off with that combo compared to others. Ralph and I have exchanged messages and he knows that no offence was intended.
It is NOT a non-native lens. I'm not sure how this term keeps getting mis-used.

A native lens is ANY lens that was made for the camera mount. An adapted lens is just that. The Sigma is a third-party NATIVE lens.

It is NOT a non-native lens. I'm not sure how this term keeps getting mis-used.

A native lens is ANY lens that was made for the camera mount. An adapted lens is just that. The Sigma is a third-party NATIVE lens.
Thanks for the correction. I'll change it to third-party :)

Back