Editting software

I use Lightroom and Photoshop... because I have them and never really used anything else. :)

Bridge for importing and organising, and Photoshop CC for processing, with Topaz Denoise and Nik Collection as plug ins.
I have always found Photoshop much easier to use than Lightroom, which I just can't get on with. I have tried various others, like DXO, but always go back to what I know. I think the monthly plan is a bargain, but probably more so as both my wife and I can use it.

Bridge for importing and organising, and Photoshop CC for processing, with Topaz Denoise and Nik Collection as plug ins.
I have always found Photoshop much easier to use than Lightroom, which I just can't get on with. I have tried various others, like DXO, but always go back to what I know. I think the monthly plan is a bargain, but probably more so as both my wife and I can use it.
Thank you, I think I'll give lightroom and Photoshop a go

DXO Photolab
Local adjustments are easy and powerful.
Just won an EISA award and v3 is on sale till the end of the month.

When Adobe went to a subscription model they lost me. Their help function is one of the worst I've seen and the overhead imposed by maintaining the catalog is over the top. They just got complacent and lost customer focus, like Nikon and Canon.

Last edited:
Photoshop & Luminar4 for fun things. Like Kev tried L.R. on numerous occasions but always go back to photoshop

Last edited:
DXO Photolab 3 most of the time, with additional sharpening (if needed) with Topaz Sharpen AI and if extensive cloning/erasing is needed, I hop into Luminar 3 because I love the eraser tool there. It has been years since I've used Photoshop and I never got into Lightroom, as right at the same time it was coming out, so was Apple's Aperture, and since I am a Mac user, Aperture was the natural choice for me. Eventually Aperture bit the dust and I experimented with various editing programs until I finally landed on DXO Photolab, which "just works" for me -- intuitive and useful!

Thanks
DXO Photolab
Local adjustments are easy and powerful.
Just won an EISA award and v3 is on sale till the end of the month.

When Adobe went to a subscription model they lost me. Their help function is one of the worst I've seen and the overhead imposed by maintaining the catalog is over the top. They just got complacent and lost customer focus, like Nikon and Canon.
Thanks for the feedback. I never even heard of DXO until now! Will do some research on it

DXO Photolab 3 most of the time, with additional sharpening (if needed) with Topaz Sharpen AI and if extensive cloning/erasing is needed, I hop into Luminar 3 because I love the eraser tool there. It has been years since I've used Photoshop and I never got into Lightroom, as right at the same time it was coming out, so was Apple's Aperture, and since I am a Mac user, Aperture was the natural choice for me. Eventually Aperture bit the dust and I experimented with various editing programs until I finally landed on DXO Photolab, which "just works" for me -- intuitive and useful!
Thanks, will look up DXO and decide between that and lightroom I think. Heard some good things about them both

Photoshop user since 1993, I am a great believer in growing into a program and becoming familiar with the workspace and capabilities to help with your workflow.
A plus with Photoshop is the ability to load plugins, Luts, actions, presets and lots of other things to help with the way you work.

affinity photo recommended as a good "cheaper than Photoshop" option. Will also takes nik plugins.
Good online tutorials available but I'd probably have found it hard to get into if It wasn't what was used in my photo class.
For a quick tweak and crop of one or two shots eg for social media, i just run them though Snapseed on my tablet

I use CaptureOne. I converted frorm Lightroom about 4 years ago. The quality of image rendering and controls are very powerful. For any editing I can't do in CaptureOne I use Affinity Photo. I would strongly recommend giving it a try.

Last edited:

I think if you are familiar and comfortable with Photoshop there's little need to use Lightroom. It's not to say its without purpose, but Photoshop is extremely capable. I think I use Lightroom more for quick organization and navigation but I drop into Photoshop fairly often. I still have a long way to go and should probably consider some other tools. But since I do video work and know Premiere fairly well it's hard to switch away.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I never even heard of DXO until now! Will do some research on it
Thanks, will look up DXO and decide between that and lightroom I think. Heard some good things about them both
You can use a trial copy.
V4 will be out in about Oct.
NR is very good now and will be improved in 4.

Lightroom is a must for me. It has most everything I need to enhance my pictures. I struggle with Photoshop, but will use it on occasion if I need to remove a spot or object from the picture. It works better than Lightroom for that. Once you have your process flow down, adjusting a picture in LR is quick. I also use Topaz suite of software every once in a while for extra features.

Last edited:
Now I use Capture One. Before that, I used Lightroom. I find Capture One to be more powerfull

Now I use Capture One. Before that, I used Lightroom. I find Capture One to be more powerfull
How steep was the learning curve for Capture One? I'm happy with Lightroom, but more powerful always sounds good. :)

i use luminar 3. it is fast and easy for my purposes. i'm too lazy to do a bunch of masking and replacements, etc so it has the main features i desire. I am fundamentally at odds adobe's new subscription model, so i didn't really consider them as an option.

A bit overwhelming at first, but with a few youtube tutorials you get used to it.
It is more complete than LR. You can just make basic adjustments, like in LR, or you can have more advanced options that LR doesn't have, like layers.

Capture One Pro and Affinity's Apps...

Hi all, i use capture one pro for sorting and raw processing, and then i use affinity photo for the rest of my post processing. i also use luminar 4 for the fun stuff

Sorry meant to say i use the NIK collection in Affinity as a plugin

Has anyone used both Topaz Apps and Affinity's Apps? How do they compare?

I use the darktable/GIMP combo for post processing.

They are open-source and free, pretty light weight too. Still learning the programs with the few resources out there. I haven't used Photoshop in about a decade, mostly for basic graphic design. I liked the PS program but chose not to enter the subscription service at my current skill level. So far darktable and GIMP are working out and haven't hit any major roadblocks.

Faststone Viewer is another freebie.
It even has canvas extension that LR and Photolab don't.

The latest PS update includes Sky Replacement!

The AdobeMAX conference is going on virtually this week, entirely FREE. A lot of the content is available streaming if you're not able to get to it live. Most of it is advertising for the new features, but there are some sessions that have been enlightening. They are also providing some files and instructions for some of the sessions that are helpful tutorials. I recommend checking it out. There's one more day of sessions but the bulk of the content should be available for some time.

Gee, I think I must use everything! I have Photoshop, DXO, Luminar and Topaz. Having said that, I spend most of my time in Camera Raw, which is pretty much the same as Lightroom these days. Occasionally, I zip out to Photoshop to use layers and filters. My workflow, if it can be called that, is probably stuck in the past.

I've only just fired up my cameras after a long time off so to get myself started I'm using Darktable and GIMP. Both have way more capability than I do at the moment so it's useful they're free while I'm finding my feet again....

Back