Name
Uncle Kev 😆
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I put the moth trap out for the first time in ages last night (we really haven't had suitable conditions) and I was very pleased to see this fabulous Elephant Hawk Moth this morning. Amazing colours and markings, there is no other moth like it.
DSC04596 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/20
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 250
DSC04608 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/20
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 250
DSC04626 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 250
DSC04643 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 250
DSC04662 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 250

wow, truly unique!

That's some special sh!t! I want to meet the person who came up with that name!

Great capture by the way Kev! 🥇

That's some special sh!t! I want to meet the person who came up with that name!

Great capture by the way Kev! 🥇
Cheers. I think the name comes from what the caterpillar looks like, but it's still not anything like a heffalump, maybe the trunk I guess. I've certainly never seen a pink and green elephant 🐘

Cheers. I think the name comes from what the caterpillar looks like, but it's still not anything like a heffalump, maybe the trunk I guess. I've certainly never seen a pink and green elephant 🐘
Not from its size, like as in enlargement, e.g. elephantitis?

Wow, it does doesn't it - as an aside I just looked up this moth she took last year (?) and apparently it is a Luna moth, have you seen one of those, are they even in the UK?

Wow, it does doesn't it - as an aside I just looked up this moth she took last year (?) and apparently it is a Luna moth, have you seen one of those, are they even in the UK?
No we don't get them here. We have several Hawk Moths, all of which are amazing to be honest, but the Lime Hawk especially so. We also get Atlas Moths, though only if you have a pheromone trap. They are stunning.

I've certainly never seen a pink and green elephant 🐘

Keep your eyes peeled, they're out there! I heard that big foot rides one down to the river to throw bread crumbs to the loch ness monster... ✅

Back