Name
Roger Smith
Country
United States
City/State
San Diego
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I'm generally happy with the Gitzo Adventury 45L as a larger travel bag or "car bag". Looking for a bit smaller hiking bag. The Adventury 30L is a tad small. Looking at the Mindshift Backlight 36L.
My main load is the 200-600 with A1 + grip, binoculars, sometimes a 70-200 and or 16-35 added.

I would suggest my bag but they don't make it any more. My bag isn't perfect so I keep an eye open for another one if I get to the point that the imperfections of my bag just annoy me too much. So ones to consider that all can fit the 200-600 with attached Body, the 100-400, 2nd body, bins, 24-105, small cleaning kit, rain cover, battery bank, and other miscellaneous things.
In no particular order:
MindShift Gear BackLight 36L Backpack
Manfrotto PRO Light Multiloader M
Tenba Axis 32 L
MindShift FirstLight 40L

Wontancraft, sadly they don't make the trooper anymore.

Attachments

• PXL_20231204_234245684 (1).jpg
    PXL_20231204_234245684 (1).jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 20
Check out the thinktank range, they seem great quality and value for money. I have one for walking round with, big enough to hold one camera either an 24-105 + one small lense (55/ 1.8) and a spare battery or a 70-200, there are many more options and styles.

I have a few for different purposes. I have a Vanguard sling which fits the 200-600mm nicely into the underneath tripod compartment. My Lowepro Flipside AWIII fits a fair bit into it and is quite compact still. 🙂

View attachment 53692

I think that the Manfrotto ranges are often overlooked but offer some of the nicest looking and most practical of bags around. Worth a look for sure. I have an older Redbee 300, it's been perfect for my needs.

I just looked at the labels on my gitzo to find out what model it is. On the label in various languages is the instruction "do not iron". The mind boggles at the circumstances that led to the need for such a label. I still don't know what model it is.

I just looked at the labels on my gitzo to find out what model it is. On the label in various languages is the instruction "do not iron". The mind boggles at the circumstances that led to the need for such a label. I still don't know what model it is.
I'd like to see someone attempt that :)

Check out the thinktank range, they seem great quality and value for money. I have one for walking round with, big enough to hold one camera either an 24-105 + one small lense (55/ 1.8) and a spare battery or a 70-200, there are many more options and styles.

I would second the ThinkTank gear. I had one years ago and somehow got away from them. Just today I was looking at the bag I have been using for the last year or so, the Nomatic McKinnon pack and I have to admit it's very much a disappointment. It's an attractive bag but functionally it fails me in terms of the handle and the outside pockets.

My regular bag prior to last year was the Peak Design and it really did the job, but I was looking for something a little bigger.

My regular bag prior to last year was the Peak Design and it really did the job

Must be a personal thing, and they must work for many, many people, as the company is successful. Not for me. I bought one, open-box bargain so I couldn't return), and found that it did not open, stand or hold gear in the way that I wanted to. Complete and immediate bag fail. I sold it immediately: luckily they are popular.

Currently with tenba DNA messenger bag. I've got a tiny one and a huge one.

I'd mention Lowepro and Vanguard as being good, and better value for money than any of these more-fashionable names. My Lowepro messenger bag was just perfect at carrying the gear that I had then, in the way that I wanted it to, at a small fraction of the price of my Tenba.

Must be a personal thing, and they must work for many, many people, as the company is successful. Not for me. I bought one, open-box bargain so I couldn't return), and found that it did not open, stand or hold gear in the way that I wanted to. Complete and immediate bag fail. I sold it immediately: luckily they are popular.

Currently with tenba DNA messenger bag. I've got a tiny one and a huge one.

I'd mention Lowepro and Vanguard as being good, and better value for money than any of these more-fashionable names. My Lowepro messenger bag was just perfect at carrying the gear that I had then, in the way that I wanted it to, at a small fraction of the price of my Tenba.
Now that you mention it, Thad, I can see that. I got away from it because it couldn't quite hold the gear I had grown into. With that said, though, I've realized that I rather liked the top closure, which was effortless. The only drawback there was that I would take the bag to the beach and needed extra care to avoid sand getting into the top. I've come to realize I am also a sucker for a good side panel opening.

As you point out, it's a very personal decision.

I really do like the design of the Lowepro products. They're clearly well thought out, but I am one of those "I don't want something that screams 'camera bag'..." guys. I'm in the market for a new bag (Please don't tell my wife), so maybe I'll look at Vanguard.

I've realized that I rather liked the top closure, which was effortless.
My Peak design bag was the largest messenger bag, so it was top opening. But the top flap didn't naturally fall to the back, it only fell back to closed. I like to sit (in a concert) with my bag on the seat beside me, top open. Also it was too floppy to be stable sitting without support, and the dividers, of some PD origami design which was supposed to make every thing possible, for me made everything hard. I hope it's buyer (from me) loved it!

Lowepro have come out with entire new ranges since I bought mine, an "Event Messenger." I think they do look more camera-bag than the old ones, but they certainly look good. Do non-photographers know brands like Vanguard and Lowepro? I suppose thieves do!

I guess I have a bit of a camera-bag thing! I like that they are all soft and padded inside, with velcro bits that we can move around. Mmmmm 😎.

Many years ago now, back in my film days I fell in love with Domke bags and I still love them, even though I've added bags from a few other brands over the years since then, including ThinkTank, LowePro, etc. When possible, I much prefer to toss my gear into one of my nicely worn, comfy canvas Domke bags and sling it over my shoulder..... Some of my larger and heavier lenses, though really require something different, and that's where the other bags come into use.

Ok so I have way too many bags ruck sacks, shoulder bags what ever, never found the perfect one but for travel gitzo shoulder bag because it doubles for all the travel paper work and small laptop what ever we need. For days out although I try not to use a bag these days unless it is car then a lot of walking and kit, I go to is the a lowepro backpack flipside 400 I think I have not even used it for the last year or so

I'm generally happy with the Gitzo Adventury 45L as a larger travel bag or "car bag". Looking for a bit smaller hiking bag. The Adventury 30L is a tad small. Looking at the Mindshift Backlight 36L.
My main load is the 200-600 with A1 + grip, binoculars, sometimes a 70-200 and or 16-35 added.

I have the Explore 35L V2 by Shimoda with the large mirrorless core unit. It fits my Sony a1 with the 200-600mm attached to the body (snug fit but works fine), including my a7iii with 20-70 G attached, and other musc stuff. I've had it for only about a month but so far, I like it so far.

Last edited:
My Peak design bag was the largest messenger bag, so it was top opening. But the top flap didn't naturally fall to the back, it only fell back to closed. I like to sit (in a concert) with my bag on the seat beside me, top open. Also it was too floppy to be stable sitting without support, and the dividers, of some PD origami design which was supposed to make every thing possible, for me made everything hard. I hope it's buyer (from me) loved it!
I didn't particularly care for their messenger bag. Mine was the backpack. I can see that.

Lowepro have come out with entire new ranges since I bought mine, an "Event Messenger." I think they do look more camera-bag than the old ones, but they certainly look good. Do non-photographers know brands like Vanguard and Lowepro? I suppose thieves do!
The thieves are well aware 😂
I guess I have a bit of a camera-bag thing! I like that they are all soft and padded inside, with velcro bits that we can move around. Mmmmm 😎.
I think we ALL have a bit of a camera bag thing, 😂

I have several sizes of ThinkTank Retrospective, partly because I like the styling, and the colours (I don’t wan’t my camera bag to be black - seems the worst possible colour!). Catch is that they are all shoulder bags, and I’m sometimes feeling pain in my shoulder carrying them recently.

I’m starting to look around for a different style of bag. Maybe I need one attached to a drone hovering (quietly!) behind me and following me around?

I didn't particularly care for their messenger bag. Mine was the backpack. I can see that.

The thieves are well aware 😂

I think we ALL have a bit of a camera bag thing, 😂

Oh, yes, all photographers seem to be seriously afflicted with CB GAS..... Camera Bag GAS, since there is never quite the right one, the perfect one, the Holy Grail which we all endlessly seek.

Quite a few years ago I was at a gathering of fellow photographers and we were playing one of those games where one "wins" something but then has the ability to swap it out for something else that is more desirable. One participant won something-or=other. All of us couldn't help but laugh while he was making a strategic switch for something more appealing to him..... His wife moaned, "oh, not ANOTHER camera bag!"

Lowepro have come out with entire new ranges since I bought mine, an "Event Messenger." I think they do look more camera-bag than the old ones, but they certainly look good.
I have always liked Lowepro bags. I tend to get a smaller sling bag & then a bigger backpack. I have just got a Flipside 400 AW III & a Slingshot SL250 AW III for all my new Sony gear.

Back