Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Firmware update for 200-600

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

mapleleaf56

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Keith Horkins
Country
Canada
City/State
Ontario
Has anyone updated the firmware on the 200-600 with version 2 firmware yet..

Not entirely sure ..

The firmware update for 4 zoom lenses is apparently to improve stabilisation on the A7RV - I don’t know if it has any impact (positive or negativ) on other bodies.

The 4 lenses are: 24-105 f/4, 200-600 G, 100-400 GM, and 70-200 GM II.

According to Sony it
  • Improves operational stability installed it anyway see how it goes did them all except the new 70-200mkii

According to Sony it
  • Improves operational stability installed it anyway see how it goes did them all except the new 70-200mkii
I assume you forgot to hit enter to start a new line. The bullet point from Sony should end after the third word, right?

With regard to using it on the A7RiV. I have updated mine today, and had a quick test in the garden, getting it to focus on some tricky subjects, like individual stems of plants in our flower beds or a leaf on a tree at close and distant range. I do think that it has improved it's ability to lock on and stay locked on to the subject, where before it may hunt back and forth before acquiring focus. Hopefully I can test it in the field tomorrow (we have some Otters showing well at a local reserve).
Obviously I think the real reason for the update is to ensure compatibility with the new A7rV, and hopefully avoid the complaints they had with the RiV.

With regard to using it on the A7RiV. I have updated mine today, and had a quick test in the garden, getting it to focus on some tricky subjects, like individual stems of plants in our flower beds or a leaf on a tree at close and distant range. I do think that it has improved it's ability to lock on and stay locked on to the subject, where before it may hunt back and forth before acquiring focus. Hopefully I can test it in the field tomorrow (we have some Otters showing well at a local reserve).
Obviously I think the real reason for the update is to ensure compatibility with the new A7rV, and hopefully avoid the complaints they had with the RiV.
Kev did the 200-600 cause issues on the a7riv? or should I ask did you have issues at any time when using the 200-600 on tha7riv?

Kev did the 200-600 cause issues on the a7riv? or should I ask did you have issues at any time when using the 200-600 on tha7riv?
Personally I never had any particular issues, but there were a lot on the first batch of cameras, which, while Sony never admitted it, was down to poor manufacturing causing badly aligned sensors (I read a very detailed report once). I will say that just recently I've had a few hunting issues, as you know, and obviously doing an update can't hurt. I saw a few posts on the FB pages about the update and one guy saying he had noticed it seemed better, so a bit of testing to confirm was needed. It is certainly not hunting between subjects like it was.

Sigh...

At some point I'm going to have to give in and update both the camera and lens. My M4 is still on the original firmware version.

I guess I need to go to ludicrous speed.

I tried just now to install it via my A74 and I cannot figure out how to do it. Just before this I did the A74 body update which went fine because they let you do it via memory card. I am not sure why they won't let you do the 200-600 update this way, but they say you have to plug the camera into your computer. I have never done this and didn't want to ever do it, but I did. However I am not seeing the menu item they list that you need to access, where you choose USB mass storage. I could swear I went through every single menu item and I am not seeing it.

I tried just now to install it via my A74 and I cannot figure out how to do it. Just before this I did the A74 body update which went fine because they let you do it via memory card. I am not sure why they won't let you do the 200-600 update this way, but they say you have to plug the camera into your computer. I have never done this and didn't want to ever do it, but I did. However I am not seeing the menu item they list that you need to access, where you choose USB mass storage. I could swear I went through every single menu item and I am not seeing it.
It's a very easy process once you have that setting sorted. I don't have the 7iV, so I don't know if it's the same menu, but once enabled it's a straightforward process, pretty much doing it for you.

Thank you - I just did the update. I think (?) the issue was the USB menu was NOT set for mass storage and when I plugged in the USB cable BEFORE accessing the menu, the option to change it was not there? I had to go into the menu with the camera unplugged and change the USB connection option first, THEN plug the camera into the computer.

Just to go on a bit of a rant, I find it annoying that Sony makes me plug my camera into the computer instead of doing lens updates via SD card, like I can with my Nikon F lenses.

Sigh...

At some point I'm going to have to give in and update both the camera and lens. My M4 is still on the original firmware version.

I guess I need to go to ludicrous speed.
I’m the same way. I hate doing them. I have my Son do them for me.

I’m the same way. I hate doing them. I have my Son do them for me.
I used to do them when they were issued for my Panasonic stuff, but most of their updates were for adding new features, improving a feature, or something not related to crappy design/engineering. If they did fix a perceived problem they included a cool new feature with the update.

So far I've not experienced any of the problems these Sony updates are supposed to fix, and i haven't seen anything in the updates that wows me. I am a firm believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Updating firmware just for the sake of it makes no sense to me. Unless and until I actually experience a problem, I'm likely to leave it set.

i just did mine today if you run into errors and you own a mac with a m1 processor you will most likely have to go into the security utility and allow kernels to be trusted by known developers to work i had to have sony walk me throught it they were very polite and it went smooth. i have not really tested to see any difference but was informed it was more for the 7riv and new 7v.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

New in Marketplace

Back