Followers
Following
Name
Devon Adams
Country
United States
City/State
Phoenix, AZ
Let's talk focusing here. I am used to how Canon cameras focus (AI Focus, One Shot, AI Servo). I moved from there to Lumix and contrast focusing on the Lumix G9 really sucked. It was always hit or miss. When I had the opportunity to jump ship for Sony, I did. Now I'm seeing lots of different focus types, so I wonder where I should start. I realise this is an utter noob question, but that I am when it come to Sony. Is there a video that clearly delineates between them. On Canon I was an AI Focus person, and I do believe the Sony sensor gives me a lot more control on focus so I'm all ears. I shoot a lot of dance, stage, sports. Things where I want to focus quickly & then when my subject moves, so does my focus.

There are a few videos that go over all the focus options on line. When I got my A6000 I found one by That1CameraGuy. He has so many videos on how to set your camera up and very detailed user manuals on manual focus and other information. I would highly recommend his videos. They are so straight forward. Also I more recently discovered Jason Vong who has some really good information on focus modes. Here it is or just do a search:
. He has a lot of information on Sony cameras. It’s a great way to learn.

For anything still I use centre focus, it's by far the most accurate, and for birds in flight or anything that requires tracking it varies a bit, but I've had most success with expanded flexible spot with tracking and centre with tracking. I find zone really struggles if there are a lot of things in frame with your subject, though it's good if you have a clean background. I've spent a lot of time playing with modes, it's a bit of a minefield.

For anything still I use centre focus, it's by far the most accurate, and for birds in flight or anything that requires tracking it varies a bit, but I've had most success with expanded flexible spot with tracking and centre with tracking. I find zone really struggles if there are a lot of things in frame with your subject, though it's good if you have a clean background. I've spent a lot of time playing with modes, it's a bit of a minefield.
Thank you!

I struggle with expanded flex spot focusing. I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Camera seems to want to grab just off of the subject I"m trying to capture. Any tips on using that type of focus which might help?

I struggle with expanded flex spot focusing. I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Camera seems to want to grab just off of the subject I"m trying to capture. Any tips on using that type of focus which might help?

You're not doing anything wrong. it does try and grab focus on things behind, but for clear sky/background shooting it's extremely good at tracking. If the background is cluttered, centre with tracking, or centre and manually tracking is better. If you look at my Dragonflies in flight in the 200 600 thread, they are all shot handheld with centre focus and me manually tracking, because the backgrounds were very busy and it was the only way to get them.

You're not doing anything wrong. it does try and grab focus on things behind, but for clear sky/background shooting it's extremely good at tracking. If the background is cluttered, centre with tracking, or centre and manually tracking is better. If you look at my Dragonflies in flight in the 200 600 thread, they are all shot handheld with centre focus and me manually tracking, because the backgrounds were very busy and it was the only way to get them.
Thanks for the response. I'll check it out. Feeling better that I'm not a total idiot when trying to use this style of focus. ha

Hi as Janice has just mentioned you are not doing anything wrong. It took me some time to get to grips with it as well. As mentioned else were i shoot nature and wildlife mostly. My go to settings are for BIF AF-C, Centre lock on small, 1600/s with auto ISO for most other i use AF-S with centre

Hi as Janice has just mentioned you are not doing anything wrong. It took me some time to get to grips with it as well. As mentioned else were i shoot nature and wildlife mostly. My go to settings are for BIF AF-C, Centre lock on small, 1600/s with auto ISO for most other i use AF-S with centre
I'm not called Janice, well not to strangers :D

Last evening I tried shooting a marching band show. I was in Lock-On AF Expand Flexible Spot & each time I tried to refocus on the band member, my focus jumped. It went all the way out & everything was blurry before refocusing. It got very annoying. I had 30 minutes to shoot 70 members on a field. I don't use back button focus. I would use the shutter, depress 1/2 way down to refocus as they moved around. Has anyone tried Center Lock On to keep focus better on a single person who is moving frequently? That may be my next attempt.

Personally, I think all of the tracking and lock on settings, with the exception of Centre with tracking, are only of use if you have a perfectly clear background. If there isn't it's a nightmare to keep focus on your subject. For what you were shooting I'd just use centre focus on the BBF, and track manually. I don't think lock on is really necessary.

Back