Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Sony A1 Future update to bring 8K60?

KNOWNSTUDIO

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
KNOWNSTUDIO-8K-Walking-Tours
It may well be a long shot but have searched high and low and still have not found an answer.

Is the A1 capable of recording 8K60? I do love filming in 8K30 and use often but was hoping by now they would release firmware upgrade with this.

Is this just wishful thinking? I've been trying to see is the sensor capable of performing this or is it limited by the processors? I have asked Sony also but still waiting to get information back from them.

Is it possible or just another hopeless dream?

No the A1 can only shoot 8k at 30 frames per second whilst at 4k it shoots up to 120 fps.

I am not aware of the reach ofvfuture upgrades of the A1's 8k capability....

No the A1 can only shoot 8k at 30 frames per second whilst at 4k it shoots up to 120 fps.

I am not aware of the reach ofvfuture upgrades of the A1's 8k capability....
Thank you for the response.

I was comparing sensor size for both cameras and seeing if there was that much difference between the two. Need to read up more about the A1 sensor I think.

Makes me wonder what the next Sony A1 firmware update will include.

Here's to a great 2023 of shooting and future updates.

Welcome to the forum.
I doubt you will see such a feature "unlocked" through software updates. It seems to me that Sony doesn't often leave much on the table when they release their cameras, meaning the feature set is what you get. You can bet that if they create a camera to accommodate 8k60, they will advertise the heck out of it, probably in their cinema line (FX series perhaps?).

I don't know that it's even possible. I think it takes a different sensor to accomplish this. As for updates, my experience has been that across manufacturers, the vast majority of firmware is to fix bugs. About the only time any of them engage in adding features is out of necessity, like when sales volume is at risk. Besides which, with an A1M2 on the horizon I wouldn't expect to see anything new added to the A1.

Welcome to the forum.
I doubt you will see such a feature "unlocked" through software updates. It seems to me that Sony doesn't often leave much on the table when they release their cameras, meaning the feature set is what you get. You can bet that if they create a camera to accommodate 8k60, they will advertise the heck out of it, probably in their cinema line (FX series perhaps?).
That would make sense and I am more than happy with my A1, but it is always nice to see more features added to one of their flagship cameras.

Thanks for the welcome to the forums too!

I don't know that it's even possible. I think it takes a different sensor to accomplish this. As for updates, my experience has been that across manufacturers, the vast majority of firmware is to fix bugs. About the only time any of them engage in adding features is out of necessity, like when sales volume is at risk. Besides which, with an A1M2 on the horizon I wouldn't expect to see anything new added to the A1.
Thanks for the response and HNY.

I've had a few conversations about Sony upgrade cycle for the A1, and the value hasn't dropped all that much (assume chip shortages) so would they release mark II version?

The sensor info I tried comparing to the Z9 and at first view couldn't see too much of a difference. I am happy with 8K30 but always wish had 8k60 to slow down footage to 3fps on a 8K timeline.

We did get 10bit 4:2:2 on previous update which I wasn't expecting so I shouldn't hope for too much now.

Thanks once again!

I think it may still be a couple years out. The rumor mill is that we should expect an A9III, A7c2, and an A7000 this year. Given that, and the fact that the 7RV was just released, Sony probably has their hands full for the short term.

Although Sony do release new features when they appear in another camera - best example I can think of off-hand was the firmware update adding M and S RAW sizes to the A1 after they appeared on the A7IV.

There was also the case in the A7RIII where they made eye AF more accessible via firmware update (prior to that you had to hold a button down to get it).

That said, yes, I suspect we won’t see 8k60 in the A1 mark one - may well need a new sensor.

Although Sony do release new features when they appear in another camera - best example I can think of off-hand was the firmware update adding M and S RAW sizes to the A1 after they appeared on the A7IV.

There was also the case in the A7RIII where they made eye AF more accessible via firmware update (prior to that you had to hold a button down to get it).

That said, yes, I suspect we won’t see 8k60 in the A1 mark one - may well need a new sensor.
They also added bird-eye on video from the A7IV, right? That's one of the few cases, and it supports the idea the A1 will be around for another year or so. They needed to keep the A1 relevant until they introduce the new version which they knew was a ways out.

New in Marketplace

Back