Hello from Los Angeles

Da7cream

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Dave
Hello. I am totally new to photography. I was gifted with an A7C w/ a 55mf18z. I have no idea what to shoot as a beginner. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Dave,

Any place is great to take photos, I will recommend near Los Angeles area El Matador beach in Malibu, it is a beautiful place and also you will enjoy the ocean. Try to arrive early around 9 AM, they have a small parking lot with reasonable rates, around $10 for the day.

The Getty Villa in Malibu has a beautiful patio, arquictecture and arts (free admission, $20 for parking, you will need to reserve your visit).

For city views the Getty museum (free admission, $20 for parking, temporarily requires a reservation) and the Griffith Observatory (free admission, parking hourly rates or free parking down the hill) have great city views.

Enjoy it !

Hello. I am totally new to photography. I was gifted with an A7C w/ a 55mf18z. I have no idea what to shoot as a beginner. Any advice would be appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum Dave. Gifted an A7C with a great lens. Excellent! What part of "LA" are you from? I am originally a South lander.

Welcome!
I agree with the suggestions from @albpez378 especially the Getty Museum, lots to take pictures of inside and out.

What kind of photos do you gravitate towards? There are so many things to choose from I agree; people (portraits), places (landscape), people/strangers in action (street photography), to name a few. That lens will excel at portraits, but can be used for any of the examples I mentioned. You might want a zoom lens in the future (if you want to get into wild life or event photography for example), but start with what you've got!

Put the camera in auto and go take some photos of anything you see. Let the camera do the heavy lifting to get started. Ask questions, look things up. One good site for a beginner is the Digital Photography School. Free tutorials, tips, etc. Once you get more comfortable start thinking about the different shooting modes (located on that dial on top of the camera). But not yet! First go have fun just pressing the button.

Back