Hello

LMB49

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Larry Burke
I’ve moved from all-in-one cameras (Sony RX10 Mk3 four years ago and RX10 Mk4 two years later) to the Sony a6600 paired with a Sigma lens (100-400 mm). My exclusive photographic interest is wild birds. I would like to pick up tips on how to best to use my new rig in furtherance of that interest.

Welcome!

Welcome Larry and thank you for joining up here! How are you getting on with your setup? Any struggles? I have the Sigma 100-400 and it's a great lens although the AF sometimes struggles with faster subjects.

Welcome Larry and thank you for joining up here! How are you getting on with your setup? Any struggles? I have the Sigma 100-400 and it's a great lens although the AF sometimes struggles with faster subjects.
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I’m having some initial minor(?) struggles, mostly related to inadvertently changing my settings (mode dial being moved off A - my preference- to one of the other settings; moving the control dial off my preferred wide-open aperture setting to a more closed-down setting; accidentally clicking the OS switch on the lens to off), so I’m regularly checking to see if I’ve inadvertently messed up my settings. The most annoying is when I unintentionally move the “flexible spot small AF” - my preference for photographing birds - off center in the screen/viewfinder off into a corner. By the time I re-center it, the bird I wanted to image has gone. I haven’t been able to figure out yet whether the flexible spot AF icon can be locked in the center full-time or not. Can I do that?

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I’m having some initial minor(?) struggles, mostly related to inadvertently changing my settings (mode dial being moved off A - my preference- to one of the other settings; moving the control dial off my preferred wide-open aperture setting to a more closed-down setting; accidentally clicking the OS switch on the lens to off), so I’m regularly checking to see if I’ve inadvertently messed up my settings. The most annoying is when I unintentionally move the “flexible spot small AF” - my preference for photographing birds - off center in the screen/viewfinder off into a corner. By the time I re-center it, the bird I wanted to image has gone. I haven’t been able to figure out yet whether the flexible spot AF icon can be locked in the center full-time or not. Can I do that?
The focus point will lock to the center but it can easily be moved accidentally. Often the touch LCD is to blame for moving it around, as it's so easy to do this with your nose when using the EVF, so you might want to disable to touch screen. To move the focus point back to the center faster then you need to assign [Focus Standard] to a custom button. I'd recommend assigning it to the trash can. Then when you click the trash can once you'll be able to move it again, click it twice quickly and it will go back to the centre. If you are not sure how to assign Focus Standard to a custom button then here's the relevant section from the online help: https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1940/v1/en/contents/TP0002679642.html?search=focus standard

Back