I hate to ask, but is it the camera? I know, I know... sigh.

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

reinocruz

Novice Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 14, 2020
Hey all, using an A7ii, and love for the most part. Currently, a Sony FE 70-200 F4 G OSS sits on the body. When I shoot, say, a bridge, stationary items come put pretty sharp in the viewfinder, and later in Lightroom as well. But... Any movement.. even a vulture sitting really still, and AF just doesn't get it sharp when I zoom in. Ive tried a variance of aperture settings, shutter speeds, DOF, etc.
In manual focus, it will view as sharp in VF, then when I zoom in to the image, its just not what I'm hoping for. Here's a recent sample. I'd love to max out this camera to learn more before trading up, and I want to avoid being that guy, saying its the camera. But... what am I missing? Thanks!

(FYI, AF was set to 3rd vulture from top, the one walking towards camera, F6.3, 197mm, 1/320, ISO 100)

DSC03705.jpg
  • ILCE-7M2
  • FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS
  • 197.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Malvern
Are you using AF-C, AF-S or Manual Focus? AF-C will be best for moving subject even if they are only moving a little. 1/320sec might also be a little on the slow side for vultures unless they are perfectly still which is rarely the case as the wind will also be blowing their feathers around. I'd try with AF-C and 1/1000sec or higher and then see what the shots look like.

Reactions: reinocruz

Kevriano

Expert Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Crawley
Definitely a combination of things, as Tim said, Shutter Speed is too low IMO, especially for anything at distance. I can shoot very low if it's close and static, but I wouldn't drop below 1/1000th at distance. Also, f6.3 is too shallow at distance, you get compression of perspective at range, f8 or 10 would help. Finally, I would definitely recommend using centre point focus for anything other than flight shots. By far the most accurate.

Reactions: reinocruz

reinocruz

Novice Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 14, 2020
Are you using AF-C, AF-S or Manual Focus? AF-C will be best for moving subject even if they are only moving a little. 1/320sec might also be a little on the slow side for vultures unless they are perfectly still which is rarely the case as the wind will also be blowing their feathers around. I'd try with AF-C and 1/1000sec or higher and then see what the shots look like.
This was manual, but I was switching back & forth to AF-C as well, similar issue. Ramping up the shutter. Appreciate the glance & feedback!

reinocruz

Novice Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 14, 2020
Definitely a combination of things, as Tim said, Shutter Speed is too low IMO, especially for anything at distance. I can shoot very low if it's close and static, but I wouldn't drop below 1/1000th at distance. Also, f6.3 is too shallow at distance, you get compression of perspective at range, f8 or 10 would help. Finally, I would definitely recommend using centre point focus for anything other than flight shots. By far the most accurate.
Great, thx for the input. Upping shutter speed, and I thought I had attempted some at slimmer aperture, but I see now I hadn't.. I've used mostly center point, but am also trying to develop comfort with Flex Spot L.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.