Followers
Following
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
The only Sony I have (so far) is A74 with 200-600. I use it for wildlife, either handheld or on a tripod with relatively fast shutter speeds. For these uses, I always leave IBIS (in-body stabilization) turned on as well as OSS (optical stabilization) on the lens itself. For long exposures (landscape, architecture) on a tripod I use Nikon D850 and shorter lenses. As an SLR it does not have IBIS and I turn off the lens stabilization.

My question is, if I were to switch to all Sony, would I need to turn off IBIS in the camera menu for tripod-mounted long exposures? Or does the camera have a way of knowing when the camera is not moving and in essence turns off IBIS automatically? If I did go to Sony for landscape as well, I would likely get the upcoming A7rV (or at least A7rIVa).

I would simply save your landscape settings to one of the 3 locations on the mode dial. When shooting long exposure on a tripod, (maybe save it to 3 for tri-pod, easy to remember), select 3 and Bob's your uncle.

I would simply save your landscape settings to one of the 3 locations on the mode dial. When shooting long exposure on a tripod, (maybe save it to 3 for tri-pod, easy to remember), select 3 and Bob's your uncle.
I have never used the custom function buttons on any of my cameras. However this seems like sound advice. If I do go with Sony for landscape it might be time to break down and finally learn how to do it.

I have never used the custom function buttons on any of my cameras. However this seems like sound advice. If I do go with Sony for landscape it might be time to break down and finally learn how to do it.
It's absolutely worth it. Saving settings profiles to dial up commonly used but specific settings as easy as choosing aperture or shutter priority is great.

regardless if you set up a profile or not, you definitely want to turn off steady shot. The camera will still try to anticipate movement & you can still get blur. Setting up a profile is a good idea and honestly hadn't thought of it but i'll look into it.

The recommendation from Sony and most manufacturers is to turn it off. In practice I've heard people say it matters and other that say it doesn't. I rarely use a tripod or any steadying device, so I can't say one way or the other. If you do plant to turn it off, @Hank's advice to set up a custom on the mode dial is spot-on.

Here's a decent read from one guy who never thought it made much difference, and his testing.

So many variables at work here, Sony say turn off ibis ok, why? if the camera and lens are not moving the ibis has nothing to do would that make sense. if you shoot silent with remote possibly turn it off, if you shoot from behind the camera i.e. shooting with shutter button leave it on but why would you be shooting with the shutter button? I was shooting on the a99ii with my mobile on a tripod 5-6 years ago. if its timed exposure then weather plays a part wind etc the argument goes on, I once spent an hour when my daughter first got her first Olympus being told by a mate how to set up and how important ibis was, well it went in one ear and out of the other because his results did not convince me. anyway, you have to test it for yourself it's what I always do I in every aspect of photography I have many situations when I turn off ibis for all sorts of reasons. I am sure some of the landscape guys can answer this one based on experience

Sony says turn off OSS at the lens when on a tripod. Your camera will detect the "Off" position and turn of IBIS as well.

if you are using a wired or BT remote there is a good case to turn off IBIS and OSS, especially with a long lens
where the slightest vibration at the camera/lens is magnified many times at infinity.....most landscape shooters
especially will use a remote to avoid vibrations. If you are able to use high shutter speeds then again the need
for steady shot is not as critical.

If you are shooting a shorter wide angle the problem is much easier, but even so if operating the shutter or BBF
by hand, again its better to turn off IBIS and OSS, as potentially the combination of hand operation with steady
shot in operation can set up serious harmonic vibrations........

The lenses I use on a tripod do not have OSS so that isn't part of it for me. I'm on a tripod fairly often, and to be honest I've never turned the IBIS off. Never even thought of it actually. Now it has me thinking...

Ok so if you check on Fred Mirandas site and other sites the board view is ibis off mainly for video on tripod as it can cause unwanted issues, and for stills most users report on or off no real advantage, but on would negate any movement with stills i.e wind vibration from traffic etc , I have never seen any real difference my self

The video linked above compares the 16-35 GM f2.8 and the 16-35 Zeiss f4. From time mark 5:35 to 5:45 they say the test images were soft because IBIS was turned on and they had to retake the photos with it turned off to get sharp results.

The video linked above compares the 16-35 GM f2.8 and the 16-35 Zeiss f4. From time mark 5:35 to 5:45 they say the test images were soft because IBIS was turned on and they had to retake the photos with it turned off to get sharp results.
I have read that the IBIS system on the Sony system behaves differently with non Sony lenses. In addition in that the OSS & IBIS system can vibrate, that's enough reason for me to follow the manufacturer's suggestion. One more thing, there is a "True Confessions" thread active here at this time. So I recently posted Airshow pictures and they were good pictures if I do say so myself. What I didn't mention is that I shot hand held all day with my Sony 100-400 GM with the OSS set to on with the mode switch set to one. If you read the documentation, that is a serious No-No if you are making irregular movements while shooting. Trust me when I say that erratic described my hand held shooting that day. A few of my photos turned out with some unexplained corruption. I posted the photos of this corruption in this Flickr Album. Click the photos to zoom in and pay attention to photos 2 and 3. Note the corruption.

I have read that the IBIS system on the Sony system behaves differently with non Sony lenses. In addition in that the OSS & IBIS system can vibrate, that's enough reason for me to follow the manufacturer's suggestion. One more thing, there is a "True Confessions" thread active here at this time. So I recently posted Airshow pictures and they were good pictures if I do say so myself. What I didn't mention is that I shot hand held all day with my Sony 100-400 GM with the OSS set to on with the mode switch set to one. If you read the documentation, that is a serious No-No if you are making irregular movements while shooting. Trust me when I say that erratic described my hand held shooting that day. A few of my photos turned out with some unexplained corruption. I posted the photos of this corruption in this Flickr Album. Click the photos to zoom in and pay attention to photos 2 and 3. Note the corruption.
Looks to me like heat waves.

Yes, jeff in your case as stated you would have that issue 2-3 is what I would use for shots you describe; Fred is talking about tripod mounted timed exposures, so I guess by definition the camera is still for the most part, it would be helpful for Sony to say why you should turn off ibis not just drop a statement. I guess Fred can easily test it for himself in the real world.

Just looked at the shots Jeff took looks like heat waves to me first shot being fine
I'd suggest all three shots are from the same pass and the second and third shots are from a greater distance than the first, thus the interference from atmosphere. The fact that none of the camera settings (including the FL) changed from shot to shot supports that. Cropping will also enhance the heat wave effect.

You can't overcome distance and weather regardless of the gear.

I'd suggest all three shots are from the same pass and the second and third shots are from a greater distance than the first, thus the interference from atmosphere. The fact that none of the camera settings changed from shot to shot supports that. Cropping will also enhance the heat wave effect.

You can't overcome distance and weather regardless of the gear.
When I bought the 100-400 I turned off the lens stabilization on purpose while in Greece to see the effects while trying to get shots of swallows and trust me the result show the path the bird took and its looks like a streak on the camera sensor and I tested that all the way to 32,000 of a second on the a9, but that is me I need to know the limits of what I have for myself and don't always believe what I read or am told. I will add a shot of a little bird taken
kuadasi 2022  2.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS (SEL100400GM)
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 1000
in turkey at around 150 yards away in stinking heat and as you say you get what you get heat haze

Yes, jeff in your case as stated you would have that issue 2-3 is what I would use for shots you describe; Fred is talking about tripod mounted timed exposures, so I guess by definition the camera is still for the most part, it would be helpful for Sony to say why you should turn off ibis not just drop a statement. I guess Fred can easily test it for himself in the real world.
There is now way to you a Tripod. The aircraft are close and moving too fast.

There is now way to you a Tripod. The aircraft are close and moving too fast
Sorry Jeff the reply does not make any sense, we were not suggesting you used a tripod, we were suggesting your issues with the shots you took were a different set of issues to those Fred was asking about.

Sorry Jeff the reply does not make any sense, we were not suggesting you used a tripod, we were suggesting your issues with the shots you took were a different set of issues to those Fred was asking about.
No it doesn't. Besides a poorly worded statement, it didn't apply to the situation. Sorry folks.

Back