Just a rumor since we've run out of A9III rumors. No A1m2?

Well Sony have not delivered the a9iii yet or the 300 2.8 g e-mount but as usual the rumor mill fires up to next possible a1 mk2 which could be a long way off, given the broken promises on the a9iii time line , and the face lifts to so called new cameras in the a7 line up, at least the a75r is not a crazy price via grey import here in the UK

Well Sony have not delivered the a9iii yet or the 300 2.8 g e-mount but as usual the rumor mill fires up to next possible a1 mk2 which could be a long way off, given the broken promises on the a9iii time line , and the face lifts to so called new cameras in the a7 line up, at least the a75r is not a crazy price via grey import here in the UK
Think you read too much into rumors about there being some promised timeline, Sony never states when any version is going to be released until they have the announcement event and they have a hard date for first deliveries. Sony isn't Tesla.

What would you be expecting from the A7 lineup that would constitute a new camera?

For the A1ii I think earliest is Jan 25 but more likely Q4 25 announcement with release in early 26. It will be at least 50mp with 75% of staying at 50mp. I think there is a greater than 0% chance it will have a global shutter but less than 5%. It will keep the duel CF-A/SD card slots with whatever the latest hardware speed version is available. I think that they will increase the buffer by 100 shots. It will have some kind of frame rate burst mode with a body similar to the A9iii. It will also have whatever the cameras released before it have for video/stills plus the standard general improvements to recognition, auto focus and tracking.

There is a 100% chance the camera will be available in the color black.

Think you read too much into rumors about there being some promised timeline, Sony never states when any version is going to be released until they have the announcement event and they have a hard date for first deliveries. Sony isn't Tesla.

What would you be expecting from the A7 lineup that would constitute a new camera?
Quite sure Sony had been promising the a9iii for several years , before the unveil recently that is what I was implying, the above was a statement and is not an invite for a reply especially from you, I am not getting into it with you, you who never takes issue with anything Sony does

Last edited:
They got the A1 so right first time, they will struggle to better it until they can do high resolution sensors with global shutters and 40fps+
Most owners will be happy if the software update has a couple of nice features, like stacking for example.

Shouldn't be a surprise with the A1 firmware not being released until March of next year. It stands to reason the camera is out a ways, although I doubt Q4 of '25. I think Q4 of '24, or Q1 of '25.

Shouldn't be a surprise with the A1 firmware not being released until March of next year. It stands to reason the camera is out a ways, although I doubt Q4 of '25. I think Q4 of '24, or Q1 of '25.
Or sooner if the 9 iii Bombs :D

I think they have all their eggs in the A9III/Olympics basket. If it bombs in the market, they'll make sure it doesn't bomb there!
Yep, they really do. I hope they can sort the racist sensor :D

Quite sure Sony had been promising the a99iii for several years , before the unveil recently that is what I was implying, the above was a statement and is not an invite for a reply especially from you, I am not getting into it with you, you who never takes issue with anything Sony does
I have criticized Sony's idiotic and unnecessary use of AF drive and FPS drive dials on the A9/A1 bodies.

If you don't look for an understanding of why a company does something, you don't learn about the market or their place in that market and where they are headed. If you only look at what they didn't do you will always be disappointed.

I have criticized Sony's idiotic and unnecessary use of AF drive and FPS drive dials on the A9/A1 bodies.

If you don't look for an understanding of why a company does something, you don't learn about the market or their place in that market and where they are headed. If you only look at what they didn't do you will always be disappointed.
As stated before not going to get into it with you, I thought the first response was clear enough, you just do not know when to stop do you? Have your say but do not include me , your responses assume some level of superiority on your part and are offensive after a while. So to be clear no response thankyou!

Not yet delivered, but they have locked in the delivery, and provided plenty of pre-prod cameras for eval by journalists and reviewers. Even those pre-prod cameras appear to be living up to spec. It’s not like they said “this is what it will do, but you will have to wait to see proof”.

I never tracked the a99 side of things, so I have no idea what happened there. It sounds like you were sorely disappointed by the A99 III.

I agree with you - I am cynical about the speculation regarding the A1 mark II :) I am sure there are people who know, but considering how tightly Sony held the secret of the original A1, I doubt anyone who knows has leaked anything. I would not be surprised if Sony has contingency plans, possibly even multiple cameras that could be the A1 II, depending on the competition’s reaction to the bombshell they dropped already.

While I agree that the A1 II is likely to remain non-global shutter, I think it may appear before 2025. If it really were years off, I might be more tempted to get an A9 III, because then I’d have time to save up for the A1 II, so I keep telling myself that the A1 II is imminent, and I therefore should not be distracted by the shiny new global shutter…

While I agree that the A1 II is likely to remain non-global shutter, I think it may appear before 2025. If it really were years off, I might be more tempted to get an A9 III, because then I’d have time to save up for the A1 II, so I keep telling myself that the A1 II is imminent, and I therefore should not be distracted by the shiny new global shutter…
Just trying to reason through this logically:
  • The A9III will be released in March.
  • This is a sports-oriented camera.
  • The Olympics begin in late July.
  • Sony has released a ground-breaking camera that no one can currently compete with on certain features.
  • Sony will not want to detract from it with a second premium camera release before the Olympics, they want it out front.
And if that isn't enough:
  • The A1 firmware release is scheduled for the same period as the A9III release, March. This is to appease A1 owners until they're ready to announce the A1mII. That tells me it's still going to be a while before it shows up.
If the camera shows up next year, it will be after they've wrung every ounce of publicity out of the A9III. And when you think about it, Q1 2025 isn't years off, it's about a year.

My bet remains Q4 '24 or Q1 '25, just over 13 months, which is why I'm going to get one soon instead of waiting.

Just trying to reason through this logically
Agreed.

I think the one thing we are missing is Canon's R1 announcement. I have no doubts that Canon is pushing to have it ready for the Olympics but the rumor mill seems very unsure about it.
I can see 3 scenarios:
1 - R1 released before the Olympics and depending on the software feature list the A1ii will be released on Sony's not publicly known date or they push it some to add some feature.
2 - R1 is set to release Q3 2024. This would be worst case scenario for Sony I believe. Depending on how much of an improvement over the A1 the R1 is Sony is either going to be too close to a possible release date and need to delay, giving the R1 lots of market time with no response or the R1 is better but than the A1 but well below what the A1ii will be.
3 - R1 hasn't been announced before Q4 2024. Here Sony can see if they can hear/spy any see what they think the R1 has and judge if they should announce prior or shortly after the R1 announcement.

Agreed.

I think the one thing we are missing is Canon's R1 announcement. I have no doubts that Canon is pushing to have it ready for the Olympics but the rumor mill seems very unsure about it.
I can see 3 scenarios:
1 - R1 released before the Olympics and depending on the software feature list the A1ii will be released on Sony's not publicly known date or they push it some to add some feature.
2 - R1 is set to release Q3 2024. This would be worst case scenario for Sony I believe. Depending on how much of an improvement over the A1 the R1 is Sony is either going to be too close to a possible release date and need to delay, giving the R1 lots of market time with no response or the R1 is better but than the A1 but well below what the A1ii will be.
3 - R1 hasn't been announced before Q4 2024. Here Sony can see if they can hear/spy any see what they think the R1 has and judge if they should announce prior or shortly after the R1 announcement.
Not missing the R1 at all, I just don't think it's a major factor for Sony's A1m2 release anymore. I did before the A9III, bit not now. It will get the same amount of PR regardless of when it is released. I still believe we'll see the R1 for the Olympics, but the unique features of the A9III will get it the attention Sony wants.

Regarding R1, it's much closer than anyone thinks. I know for a fact they were in field tests all summer, and that's about all I can say.

I suspect Canon have had a mini stroke over the A9 III specs

I like the extra dials. Just got the A7R5 set up and I miss them.

Very nice to see what mode you’re in at a glance when picking up the camera.

The A1 is my main shooter and it has a variety of scenarios to perform in.

BIF / action H+. Non-flash events - M casual travel S

Love seeing it on the dial.

Kind of silly reason too - aesthetically it’s unbalanced. Big blank spot top left.

Kind of like buying a car without many accessories but the dashboard has cutouts filled with flat blanks instead of switches. 😛

I like the extra dials. Just got the A7R5 set up and I miss them.

Very nice to see what mode you’re in at a glance when picking up the camera.

The A1 is my main shooter and it has a variety of scenarios to perform in.

BIF / action H+. Non-flash events - M casual travel S

Love seeing it on the dial.

Kind of silly reason too - aesthetically it’s unbalanced. Big blank spot top left.

Kind of like buying a car without many accessories but the dashboard has cutouts filled with flat blanks instead of switches. 😛

Interestingly, the A9 III announcement mentioned the ability to override those dials, so people who might want custom mode 1 to be Hi continuous shooting and custom mode 2 to be Single shot, can have it. So Sony has heard from the people who don't want the dials to be the only way to set things, and implemented a solution. I fully expect the A1 II to have the same feature. My expectation is that it will work so that you switch to a custom mode, and it overrides the dials, but the moment you turn the dial it takes over again - that's probably the most "intuitive" way for it to work (same as the custom mode can set the aperture, but turn the dial controlling aperture and it changes).

The one catch is that the dials may not show current settings if the last thing you did was set a custom mode - feels like an acceptable compromise, though. Maybe the answer is that the current custom mode's settings flash up on the rear screen when you turn the camera on, just as they do when you turn to a custom mode?

Interestingly, the A9 III announcement mentioned the ability to override those dials, so people who might want custom mode 1 to be Hi continuous shooting and custom mode 2 to be Single shot, can have it. So Sony has heard from the people who don't want the dials to be the only way to set things, and implemented a solution. I fully expect the A1 II to have the same feature. My expectation is that it will work so that you switch to a custom mode, and it overrides the dials, but the moment you turn the dial it takes over again - that's probably the most "intuitive" way for it to work (same as the custom mode can set the aperture, but turn the dial controlling aperture and it changes).

The one catch is that the dials may not show current settings if the last thing you did was set a custom mode - feels like an acceptable compromise, though. Maybe the answer is that the current custom mode's settings flash up on the rear screen when you turn the camera on, just as they do when you turn to a custom mode?
I have heard that but since nobody that I have seen has said how it works. This might be what the * is on the Frame rate dial is for. I know there was an enhancement request that was for an additional mode on the dials that would then use the settings set in camera. This would allow for those that want to use the dials to use them and those that don't to just set to that mode.

That would be a sensible implementation. Set your custom mode to the baseline for whatever you're trying to achieve and then fine tune via dials.

That would be a sensible implementation. Set your custom mode to the baseline for whatever you're trying to achieve and then fine tune via dials.
It * does change it from dial controlled to software controlled. Good move Sony. Now they need to copy this to the A1ii.

Ted's video (after the rear screen): Sony A9 III :: Global Shutter is REAL

Per @spudhead, the dials work like that on the A9 and A9II. It's only the A1 that they don't. It's effing stupid if you ask me, but 'tis what 'tis.

After having done some research and had it confirmed by our own Tim Mayo:

If you set the Drive or AF for any of the 1/2/3 memory's they are not retained when you change the Drive or AF settings. I think this is probably because of how the Drive/AF dial works on the A1. But for Custom Hold they are definitely retained.

I think the firmware for the A1 will be to refresh the A1 before the Olympics to keep pro owners happy.

I think the firmware for the A1 will be to refresh the A1 before the Olympics to keep pro owners happy.
I'll bet if the photographer in question is of any status, Sony is going to hand them an A9III to use!

and any lens they want to go with it (also why some lens aren't at your local shop) Sony at winter Olympics 2022
Yeah, I've posted those here before. It's still astounding every time I look at them though, and it's fun for new people to see that.

Most people aren't aware that major events like the Olympics limit which camera brands can be used. You won't find an Olympus or Fuji, or a Panasonic or any off brand. Canon, Nikon, and Sony are pretty much it. All three set up huge service centers with loaners in case someone's stuff breaks. Their goal is to have as many photos published with their brand as possible so idiots like us buy them!

Yeah, I've posted those here before. It's still astounding every time I look at them though, and it's fun for new people to see that.

Most people aren't aware that major events like the Olympics limit which camera brands can be used. You won't find an Olympus or Fuji, or a Panasonic or any off brand. Canon, Nikon, and Sony are pretty much it. All three set up huge service centers with loaners in case someone's stuff breaks. Their goal is to have as many photos published with their brand as possible so idiots like us buy them!
It works too :D

Back