Mounting the peak design strap on the Lens foot?

krisljungberg

Followers
Following
Name
Kristoffer Ljungberg
Country
Sweden
City/State
Norrköping
Just a little security question here. I have the Sony 200-600 and I want to put my peak design strap on the lensfoot rather than the lens. It balances better and the strap doesn't get in the way like it does if you put the strap on the lens. Check the attached photo.

So, question, is it safe? Have any of you unmounted the handle on the lens collar by mistake and dropped your lens? :p I'm a bit anxious in general, hehe.

IMG_3359.JPG
  • iPhone 11
  • iPhone 11 back dual wide camera 4.25mm f/1.8
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 800

I did a search and came up with a thread at the Fred Miranda forum from someone who had the foot break off the mount. He said it broke where the four little screws attach to the collar.

Maybe something like this from Optech? I'm not a big fan of letting a lens like that hang from the lens mount, but it may be the better choice in this case.

1648604560692-png.299861

One other thought, I'm working out a system with my Sigma 100-400 that would use a metal bar like a macro slide mount that mounts to both the camera and the foot, then the strap would mount to the bar. By doing it that way the weight would be distributed. A safety tether would go to the camera.

One other thought, I'm working out a system with my Sigma 100-400 that would use a metal bar like a macro slide mount that mounts to both the camera and the foot, then the strap would mount to the bar. By doing it that way the weight would be distributed. A safety tether would go to the camera.

Thanks! Yeah I actually found that thread too. A bit worrying to say the least! I guess I'm gonna attach the peak design loops to the lens for now, seems like the safer option even though it's a little imbalanced and not as convenient. :D

This truly feels like an oversight. I would much rather have a completely solid foot+collar, not two seperate pieces. I think the foot+collar on the Nikon 200-500 is the way to go. Never felt insecure about that one.

I have attached to the two points on the 200-600 lens (well, that is what they are there for!). Agreed, not the most convenient placement, but I’d feel like a complete fool if I attached to the foot and it gave way.

But I am not you. You make your own choices.

I have attached to the two points on the 200-600 lens (well, that is what they are there for!). Agreed, not the most convenient placement, but I’d feel like a complete fool if I attached to the foot and it gave way.

But I am not you. You make your own choices.

Yeah you're absolutely right. I think I'll have to get used to the points on the lens until I figure something else out. :D

It IS possible to purchase other feet for the lens. I have the Wimberley foot, which works well since it has the Arca-Swiss type connection that I have on my Wimberley gimbal and also on my other tripod with a ballhead. There are other manufacturers, too, which make replacement feet, too, so you might want to check that out if you're concerned about the original foot which comes with the lens. I've done the foot replacement on both my 100-400mm GM and the 200-600mm.

As for straps, I use Peak Design on most of my gear but I have kept an older Op/Tech strap on my 200-600 using the places provided, as I had put that on shortly after I bought the lens and prior to the time I began using the Peak Design system. I decided to just leave the Op/Tech strap on there, gives me peace of mind when carrying that lens. One strap (Peak Design) on the camera body, the other strap (Op/Tech) on the lens and I'm good to go.

Back