My thoughts on A7r5 and A1 comparison

video not stills
lol... I shoot video with the iPhone 15 Pro. Can't be bothered with the massive files from the Sonys. I'm the world's worst video editor.

lol... I shoot video with the iPhone 15 Pro. Can't be bothered with the massive files from the Sonys. I'm the world's worst video editor.
really, try shooting 800mm fov on iphone as good as phones are you might struggle

Then get a texta and black out the video buttons on the body, and just like that we have the perfect camera! 💥
mine might as well be scrubbed out the times that i use it ,but mostly in low light where high shutter speeds are needed for stills and not a nescessity for video ,although rolling shutter on a7r5 will be a problem unless shooting super 35 but then that has its own advantages for shooting wildlife makes my 600 a 900 and 4k kind of handy ,more than one way to skin a cat.

Why would I do that?

Why would I do that?

That’s why I have an A1.
ok with out sounding facetious ,you just said your iphone is your choice for video shooting ,no mention of a A1 and you clearly said you do not bother with sony for video ,you might make your mind up ?

Because I rarely shoot video of any sort and if for some reason I needed video at 800mm using a phone for that job would be stupid.

Unsure of why you’re being so aggressively pedantic in this thread.

As far as shear acquisition speed of grabbing a subject, the A1 won't, in the end, really have an advantage over the A7RV IF and only IF you have adjusted the plethora of settings to accommodate that acquisition speed. There have been a number of Youtubes presented around that illustrate this. I'm not slamming the A1 in any regard in it's capabilities. But the reality is the dedicated AI chip in the A7RV and A6700 have indeed moved the capabilities another notch. But once again if you never touch the settings to increase the sensitivity you won't necessarily enjoy the benefits.

As far as shear acquisition speed of grabbing a subject, the A1 won't, in the end, really have an advantage over the A7RV IF and only IF you have adjusted the plethora of settings to accommodate that acquisition speed. There have been a number of Youtubes presented around that illustrate this. I'm not slamming the A1 in any regard in it's capabilities. But the reality is the dedicated AI chip in the A7RV and A6700 have indeed moved the capabilities another notch. But once again if you never touch the settings to increase the sensitivity you won't necessarily enjoy the benefits.

I don't think anyone with both of these cameras would agree with you there, especially for wildlife...

I don't think anyone with both of these cameras would agree with you there, especially for wildlife...
Not asking nor expecting any users to agree with me. I had the A1 for a few weeks back in January of last year to work with along side the A7RV. I kept the A7RV for exactly the reasons described above. I now have the A6700 which is a spec better yet. I read an article a while back regarding the A6700 development and apparently they "tweaked" the AI chip and it's algorithms to be even faster and tighter then the A7RV. So far having had the A6700 for a few days and wringing it out I'd agree. I think it may well be the BEST overall AI focus performer of them all. Count on the A1MkII having all of the latest as well.....but Mk1 needs some tweaking IMHO.

You have to be careful with the sensitivity though. As locking on to the subject goes, the higher the sensitivity the worse the camera will perform. It may acquire the subject just as quickly, but it can also be quickly distracted when it sees something it likes better. I've found in some cases the lower sensitivity settings work better when lock-on is more important than acquisition.

You would be correct (at least in my case). :)

There's a difference between great subject recognition at 10fps and superior speed and tracking at 30fps.

If forced to choose between the RV or the A1 I wouldn't think twice about sticking with the A1. For my use cases it's just better.
Pretty sure as soon as the A1 MkII is released I'll be trading the RV in.

The A1 calculates focus 120 per second. I don't think there's a non-stacked sensor camera out there that is capable of that kind of speed.

Not asking nor expecting any users to agree with me. I had the A1 for a few weeks back in January of last year to work with along side the A7RV. I kept the A7RV for exactly the reasons described above. I now have the A6700 which is a spec better yet. I read an article a while back regarding the A6700 development and apparently they "tweaked" the AI chip and it's algorithms to be even faster and tighter then the A7RV. So far having had the A6700 for a few days and wringing it out I'd agree. I think it may well be the BEST overall AI focus performer of them all. Count on the A1MkII having all of the latest as well.....but Mk1 needs some tweaking IMHO.
yes do not let ai algo,s get in the way of superior speed and fast readout sensor ,the current a9.3 will have the best of this bar none ,instant readout and 120fps ,things just will compute way quicker ,but do not expect to see a A1mk2 this year with a Ai chip major software coming for A1 in spring to keep it current ,and sony have said this year they are concentrating on vlog and video with no a1 mk2 release. ,just wish/hope they put out a few lenses .or mention development 500mmf4 or 500mm f4.5 a super telephoto or zoom with built in t/c .

Last edited:
Back