Sony A7 III Need help with muddy Sony footage

DankShots

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Nick
So, i've owned my a7iii for a few years now. The 4k at 24fps is pretty great. I primarily use the camera for a mixture of documentary interviews, as well as cinematic nature/travel stuff. Having a camera with clean slow-motion is essential for this. I've noticed that whenever I record in 1080 at 120fps the footage that comes out is absolute trash. It's muddy, has artifacts, noisy, grainy, etc. It's horrible to look at. Using a fast prime like my Sigma 1.4 helps a little bit with this, but not by much. There's nothing "professional" looking about this 1080 slow motion footage in my opinion, and it's got me thinking of upgrading to a sony camera that can shoot 4k with at least 60fps. Has Sony solves this within 4k slow motion footage?

That all being said, I would still like to figure out how to make this footage look better on my current a7iii. I'd still like to use it as my B camera if possible. I have had it checked out before and two different repair men said nothing was wrong with the camera. I'm wondering if I can optimize the footage by changing some settings around. I'm shooting normally in Cine-4 flat PP. Daytime or nighttime I see these issues. I also notice that the clips I record in 120fps always come out partially in slow motion. I believe that is an S&Q mode. When I first view the clips on my computer the middle of the clip will be in slow-motion already, and when I upload into premiere they back to regular. I'm wondering if this mode is taking away from the quality of the clip?

Any help or suggestions would be very helpful!

As an inexperienced A73 shooter, I'll be watching this.

Well... I can't speak about the A7III, but the one thing that's fiarly universal is that at higher frame rates, you're far more limited with your exposure speeds... wherein you could previously expose at 1/24th, now your longest possible exposure is 1/120th... so, you're exposing during 1/5th of the time you were while shooting un "regular" speed (although I usually do 1/50th for 24fps).

Back