News New firmware for A1, A7S III, A9 III !

AlphaWorld

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tony
Surprise! The awaited firmware has just been announced!

Good news for big organisations - more communications options, including SFTP. Plus some stuff like synchronised cameras. And 20 IPTC presets (you know the place where you record copyright owner and photographer? This lets you set up 20 of those, but with more details - imagine you are a photojournalist shooting for 3 magazines - set up 3 presets and switch between them)

Fair bit of video stuff - the focus breathing stuff that was previously announced, but more.

The authenticity stuff is in there, although you may need a licence to use it.

Virtually nothing for stills shooters, though. Except one thing: you can now get 9999 images in a folder on a card, instead of having it roll over after 4000! No, I wasn’texcited either (although it’s welcome).

The firmware is not up on my country’s Sony servers, so I can’t check if the promised 1/80000 in burst for the A9 III is included. (UPDATE; yes, 1/80000 in continuous shooting is included for the A9 III, but that firmware update is over a week away)

I expect a lot of complaining on forums, of course (“Why didn’t they include … “ - I may even contribute some myself).

Last edited:
Oh, that’s annoying - the A1 update is NOT available as a memory card update - Mac or Windows only (it’s a 1.5GB download).

Even more annoying, you cannot save your settings to a file and restore them afterwards (it wipes your settings). My guess is that stuff is moving around in the save file because a lot of stuff is changing in things like the comma settings, and with the addition of 20 IPTC presets. I wish they had put in the ability to import my previous setup!

I didn’t notice before - they are updating the A7IV as well! That was NOT included in the A9 III - they only listed the A1 and A7S iii.

they are updating the A7IV as well!

Nothing exciting at all. Of course, that's just me: anything useful to other a7iv users here?

I

For the A1 from Sony's site:

Benefits and Improvements​

• Support for Mobile applications:
    • Adds support for the Creators' App
      Notes:
      • The new Creators' App mobile application replaces the Imaging Edge Mobile app. The Creators' App allows you to transfer images from the camera to your smartphone, shoot remotely, and use other various functions.
      • Availability varies depends on country and region.
    • Adds support for the Monitor & Control app
      Notes:
      • The Monitor & Control app connects wirelessly to a camera and enables video monitoring and remote control with a smartphone or tablet.
  • Shooting & Playback functions:
    • Adds support for the Relay Playback function
    • Adds support for Breathing Compensation
      Note:
      For compatible lens information, please refer to the support page.
    • Adds the sync release function that releases the shutters of multiple sub-cameras in conjunction with the main camera's shutter timing
      Note: Remote Camera Tool Version 4.1.00 is required to activate this function.
    • Adds a function that displays the focus frame on the Remote Camera Tool screen when the monitor and viewfinder are turned off
      Note: Remote Camera Tool Version 4.1.00 is required to activate this function.
    • Adds support for Image Stabilization with Body-Lens Coordinated control. For compatible lens information, please refer to the support page
      • Image Stabilization with Body–Lens Coordinated Control:ILCE-1 × Compatible lenses
        Compatible lensesLimitations
        SEL300F28GM
        SEL70200G2
        SEL24105G
        • You can use it with lens software Ver. 02 and later.
        SEL70200GM2
        SEL100400GM
        • You can use it with lens software Ver. 03 and later.
        SEL200600G
    • Adds a function that allows you to narrow down the images to be played back using multiple filtering conditions, such as FTP transfer status
    • The maximum number of images that can be recorded in one folder has been increased to 9,999
    • Allows Timecode input with multi/micro USB terminal. You can set the timecode with the source equipment
      Note: A dedicated adapter cable, which is sold separately, is required to connect to the timecode source equipment.
    • Adds support for importing/switching multiple IPTC Presets
    • Adds support for C2PA format.(The license availability date is undecided)
    • Adds support for Custom Grid Line
      Notes:
      • Custom Grid Line is available as a paid license.
  • FTP Transfer & Network functions:
    • Allows you to upload camera images directly to the Creators' Cloud app
      Notes:
      • Creators' App Ver. 2.3.1 or later is necessary. Settings must be adjusted in the Creators' App in advance. For more information, please visit the Creators' App support website.
    • You can now automatically schedule FTP transfer of protected movies and still images
    • Movies/still images transferred via FTP transfer can now be automatically protected
    • You can now transfer specific images with priority during FTP transfer
    • Adds support for USB streaming
      Note:
      When connecting to a device with a USB Type-C port, please use a commercially available USB cable or a conversion adapter.
    • Adds support for SFTP to secure protocols
    • Wireless LAN security now supports WPA3-SAE
    • Improves remote shooting and image transfer security when using the Creators' App and Imaging Edge Desktop software
      Note: Please update the Imaging Edge Desktop software to the latest version (Ver. 3.7.0 or later).
  • Others:
    • Fixes an issue where the time code wasn't always retained after a power restart
    • Improves the exposure stability when using extended ISO during movie recordings
    • Improves the operational stability of the camera

So as previously stated "Zzzzzzzzz"

I won't be updating either camera for any of this nonsense. And I sure as hell am NOT willing to wipe all of my A1 settings, I just programmed the camera a couple of months ago. This will put my A7 IV back by two updates, and my A1 back by 1. Happily.

The only thing in that entire update worth having is the dual IS, but Sony has limited it to 6 lenses. Asinine.

One person is reporting a whole slew of hidden features in the A7S III update, saying it's "like Christmas". Another person is reporting that they bricked their A1 with the update.

As always, I'll let others be the guinea pig and see what happens.

Update done, it took some time with the update and then doing all the settings again. Nothing exciting and no pre capture. Is that enough to send me back to Nikon........... time to think.

Update done, it took some time with the update and then doing all the settings again. Nothing exciting and no pre capture. Is that enough to send me back to Nikon........... time to think.
Biggest concerns about Nikon are their massive overweight bloated bodies, too much plastic, and limited lenses. I could probably live with a smaller lens selection, but I am not a fan of huge bodies. However, the right Canon R1 body could make me think about changing.

I like the bigger bodies, I have a battery grip on my A1 so the size of the Nikon bodies doesn't affect me.

I won't be updating either camera for any of this nonsense. And I sure as hell am NOT willing to wipe all of my A1 settings, I just programmed the camera a couple of months ago. This will put my A7 IV back by two updates, and my A1 back by 1. Happily.

The only thing in that entire update worth having is the dual IS, but Sony has limited it to 6 lenses. Asinine.
On the A1 you can save your settings to a memory card and then reload them at any time. Not sure of other cameras can do this.

I sort of enjoyed having to reset my buttons at least they now match my a7r5 and the menu options have improved to a a7r5 standard ,there are a lot of useful under radar updates implemented ,the big one is improved ibis in conjunction with ois ,really a little surprised by this ,focus breathing not bothered about to be honest ,but very little for us stills photographers ,to be honest the only feature i truly lust for is the pre capture feature of the a93 but we know they will not do this ,i certainly am not wishing for the complicated autofocus settings of my a7r5 what a load of flaff that is.

On the A1 you can save your settings to a memory card and then reload them at any time. Not sure of other cameras can do this.
I can do the same thing on the A7 IV, but this update doesn't allow it. It says right in the instructions that you can't save them to a card, you must write them down. Sounds to me like they're installing a whole new basic program that won't recognize the old stuff.

I sort of enjoyed having to reset my buttons at least they now match my a7r5 and the menu options have improved to a a7r5 standard ,there are a lot of useful under radar updates implemented ,the big one is improved ibis in conjunction with ois ,really a little surprised by this ,focus breathing not bothered about to be honest ,but very little for us stills photographers ,to be honest the only feature i truly lust for is the pre capture feature of the a93 but we know they will not do this ,i certainly am not wishing for the complicated autofocus settings of my a7r5 what a load of flaff that is.
Those aren't really under the radar, they're listed as updates. That combined IBIS only applies to 6 lenses, in typical elitist Sony fashion. Tick another box of Sony's intentional crippling.

Those aren't really under the radar, they're listed as updates. That combined IBIS only applies to 6 lenses, in typical elitist Sony fashion. Tick another box of Sony's intentional crippling.
I wouldn't expect any of them to do stuff for 3rd party lens. That list of lenses is interesting. The 24-105G makes the list but none of the other standard or prime lenses with lengths under 100mm make the list. In the long lenses the 400GM and 600GM don't make the list but the 100-400GM does even though it might be one of the oldest lenses that doesn't have an updated version.

I wouldn't expect any of them to do stuff for 3rd party lens. That list of lenses is interesting. The 24-105G makes the list but none of the other standard or prime lenses with lengths under 100mm make the list. In the long lenses the 400GM and 600GM don't make the list but the 100-400GM does even though it might be one of the oldest lenses that doesn't have an updated version.
One could only hope that it's a starting list and they'll add more.

Regarding the third party lens thing, Sony has been Kingshit in that for a long time, but Nikon is catching up, and rather quickly. That new 28-400 is obviously a rebranded Tamron lens. Sony is going to have to give in somewhere along the line with this nonsense. Nikon will be selling a complete line of fully compatible lenses at third party prices.

very odd and this across all the newer sony cameras also 6 lenses only, luckily the 2 sony lenses i own with ois are on the list .so the 300mm f2,8 makes the grade but the 400mm and 600mm gm,s do not.i hope sony gives in on 3rd party restrictions ,fingers crossed this will change once canon jump on board 3rd party wagon

Pretty much all of the cameras do that, but the problem is that the files for the A1 pre V2 are not readable by the A1 V2 - the format has changed.

I looked up which lenses are supported for the combined IS, and was amused to see that I own four of the six. At least this time it's a good thing! Last time it was lenses that needed a firmware update for the A9 III :(

What's odder yet is the list of cameras that can now use Dual IS. For some reason, Sony has seen fit not to update the A7 IV even though they issued a seemingly useless firmware update for the camera yesterday. It would have been pretty easy to include the feature. This, while the A7c II, which uses the same sensor and processor, can use Dual IS.

This is the kind of thing that pisses people off and makes them look elsewhere. It is utterly stupid on Sony's part. Oh, I'm sure Sony wants to reserve that feature for the A7 V which will be released in the next year or so.

I own two of the lenses, and may have considered the otherwise useless A7 IV update had they included it. Dual IS is a nice advantage in low light static shots like museums.

What is this combined stabilisation? What's the difference to how IBIS and OSS work together now?

They don't work together now. This allows the two to communicate for increased IS. Something M-4/3 has had for years.
Well, they sort of do, but it's a case of one handles two axes (the lens) and the other handles the other three (the body) - the combined stuff involves them cooperating a lot more than "you do that, I'll do this".

Well, they sort of do, but it's a case of one handles two axes (the lens) and the other handles the other three (the body) - the combined stuff involves them cooperating a lot more than "you do that, I'll do this".
Have a cite for that? Would love to read up on it. My understanding is that the body uses stabilization when the lens has none, and the lens takes over when equipped. Could be wrong.

Have a cite for that? Would love to read up on it. My understanding is that the body uses stabilization when the lens has none, and the lens takes over when equipped. Could be wrong.
I've read about it in a number of places. What I cannot find is a reference from Sony about it.

The key points are that a stabilised lens corrects for pitch and yaw (2 axes - tilt up/down, and swing left/right), while IBIS corrects for roll, and displacement (up/down and left/right). That's the theory about how simple lens/IBIS cooperation works. I don't know what extra happens with the advanced

There's a good diagram illustrating it in this thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4235459 a few posts in.

Back