New Sony shooter.

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

1slowcamera

Original poster
Followers
Following
Nov 1, 2020
Name
Jesse
So i've made the switch from Nikon to Sony in the last few weeks. Been shooting Nikon(dslr) the last couple years. I am a car / Drag racing photographer so I deal with super fast action shots. I took my a7iii to my first event the last 2 days. I got everything pretty much dialed in yesterday. Only 2 things I could not figure out, high speed pans weren't coming into focus (maybe user error due do mirrorless) and when I was shooting the car from the starting line as it was going away from me.. the camera would not focus at all. I tracked it and zoomed in to follow, but it would lock on. I'm sure this is all my doing, I believe I have all the basic correct settings locked in, but I feel like I"m missin something. So obviously I'm running, AF-C, HI, area wide and lock on AF. I tried to switch back n forth to flexible spot. but still no joy. I"ve gotten perfect shots of them at the end of the track coming to me (slowing down). Any pros out there can help, what am I missing.

Reactions: Jeff A

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Malvern
So i've made the switch from Nikon to Sony in the last few weeks. Been shooting Nikon(dslr) the last couple years. I am a car / Drag racing photographer so I deal with super fast action shots. I took my a7iii to my first event the last 2 days. I got everything pretty much dialed in yesterday. Only 2 things I could not figure out, high speed pans weren't coming into focus (maybe user error due do mirrorless) and when I was shooting the car from the starting line as it was going away from me.. the camera would not focus at all. I tracked it and zoomed in to follow, but it would lock on. I'm sure this is all my doing, I believe I have all the basic correct settings locked in, but I feel like I"m missin something. So obviously I'm running, AF-C, HI, area wide and lock on AF. I tried to switch back n forth to flexible spot. but still no joy. I"ve gotten perfect shots of them at the end of the track coming to me (slowing down). Any pros out there can help, what am I missing.
Lock-On AF is not very reliable on the a7III and older cameras, they have updated this with newer models and now simply call it tracking, it also works a lot better. Just trying using one of the standard focus areas like wide or zone. These focus areas will still track your subject when you are using AF-C and have the shutter button half pressed to enable AF.

Reactions: Terry

1slowcamera

Original poster
Followers
Following
Nov 1, 2020
Name
Jesse
Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Did they update it within the firmware, or with actual parts in the new models.

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Malvern
Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Did they update it within the firmware, or with actual parts in the new models.
I think it was only the a9 that enabled the real-time tracking through firmware, since then it has only been the newer cameras getting it. I don't expect to see it coming to the a7III I'm afraid.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.