Sony A7R V No NTSC/PAL Selector After Update to Firmware 2.0

Stefan

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Stefan
Hello everyone,
I recently bought a new Sony A7R5. I went through all the menu items and could change PAL/NTSC settings in MENU →
s_menu_setup.png
(Setup) → [Area/Date] → [NTSC/PAL Selector] → [Enter]. After upgrading to firmware 2.0 the menu item is no longer shown. Actually the camera seems to be in NTSC-standard as the video modes are 24p (no 25p)
  • Has anyone experienced the same issue?
  • Is the function somewhere else in the menu system?
  • Can the menu be made visible again?
  • Is there a new way of handling PAL/NTSC settings with firmware version 2.0?
Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
I switched from NTSC to PAL before updating to 2.0.
  • Do you think the actual PAL/NTSC setting has an impact on the availability of the menu point?
  • Are you planning to update to firmware version 2.0? If yes, I would be interested to learn if you experience the same effect (no PAL/NTSC Selector) after updating.

I was wondering if you had switched to NTSC and it was locked in. Sounds like it got reversed.

I am in no hurry to update the firmware, to be honest :)

Hello everyone,
I recently bought a new Sony A7R5. I went through all the menu items and could change PAL/NTSC settings in MENU →
s_menu_setup.png
(Setup) → [Area/Date] → [NTSC/PAL Selector] → [Enter]. After upgrading to firmware 2.0 the menu item is no longer shown. Actually the camera seems to be in NTSC-standard as the video modes are 24p (no 25p)
  • Has anyone experienced the same issue?
  • Is the function somewhere else in the menu system?
  • Can the menu be made visible again?
  • Is there a new way of handling PAL/NTSC settings with firmware version 2.0?
Any help is appreciated.
Hi Stefan,
It seems we are the same boat.
I live in Switzerland and I recently bought an "import" A7RV (from Microspot).
As soon as I got the camera I updated it to firmware 2.0.
Now I am stuck in NTSC (30/60 fps) and there is on option in the menu to choose PAL.
I don't know if the option was present before I updated because I did not check it.

Do you have some new information about this issue?

Hi Stefan,
It seems we are the same boat.
I live in Switzerland and I recently bought an "import" A7RV (from Microspot).
As soon as I got the camera I updated it to firmware 2.0.
Now I am stuck in NTSC (30/60 fps) and there is on option in the menu to choose PAL.
I don't know if the option was present before I updated because I did not check it.

Do you have some new information about this issue?
I'm still missing the menu point. If I remember correctly, the option was there before updating. So, unfortunately no news.

I bought my R5 here in the UK. It is not an "import". I have upgraded to Ver 2.0 and I still have the option in the menu to change between PAL/NTSC.
I am set to PAL and it asks if I would like to switch to NTSC , as expected. rgds Chris

I am in this same situation. MY A7Rv has no option to change out of NTSC, and it is not an import - bought in the UK. Anyone find a solution?

I don't shoot a lot of video, but I just bought a new import camera that can be set to either. I hope future firmware doesn't delete the wrong one. However, does it even matter anymore? These formats were critical during the days of analog TV broadcasts, but now that everything is digital it doesn't seem to be such a big deal. In addition, most video production and processing software will convert between the two.

Maybe I have this wrong?

I don't shoot a lot of video, but I just bought a new import camera that can be set to either. I hope future firmware doesn't delete the wrong one. However, does it even matter anymore? These formats were critical during the days of analog TV broadcasts, but now that everything is digital it doesn't seem to be such a big deal. In addition, most video production and processing software will convert between the two.

Maybe I have this wrong?
It does matter, as if I video with two cameras as I was today, one is filming at 25fps and the other at 24fps to go on the same timeline!

Correct, but processing software adjusts for that. You can make the adjustment to the NTSC file before you attach it to the PAL file. I'm not saying it's convenient, but it isn't as critical as it was in the analog days.

However, having cameras that shoot in two different formats would be a frustrating pain in the butt. I feel for you!

Hey guys,
Did you find a solution to this problem? I have the same issue with my freshly updated Sony a1 camera. I had the selector before, but now it’s gone with version 2.01 which was released just now.
Thanks

Hey guys,
Did you find a solution to this problem? I have the same issue with my freshly updated Sony a1 camera. I had the selector before, but now it’s gone with version 2.01 which was released just now.
Thanks

My A1 still has the menu opiion, and I've applied several updates (got mine as a pre-order) - I'm now on 2.01.

Did you buy your camera in your country, or from a grey market supplier?

Did you download the upgrade from your local country Sony website, or from another country? I downloaded from my local Sony.

Did you download the upgrade from your local country Sony website, or from another country?

The supposition is that they are the same... but are they?

Shall we download a given firmware from two countries and do a binary compare? PAL is a USAian thing, right? Both my countries are NTSC.

firmware from two countries and do a binary compare?

Code:
$ cmp BODYDATA.com BODYDATA.in
$ echo $?
$ diff  BODYDATA.com BODYDATA.in
$ echo $?
$

Haven't done that for a couple of decades. Please let me know the obvious mistakes!

The changed file endings indicate the source. This is for a7iv 3.0. I have not upgraded my camera to that version and don't currently plan to.

Which might make it a stupid test: I guess I should have taken the updates for a7Rv. Doh!

The supposition is that they are the same... but are they?

Shall we download a given firmware from two countries and do a binary compare? PAL is a USAian thing, right? Both my countries are NTSC.

NTSC was developed in the USA. I think it's mostly used in the Americas.

PAL (and SECAM) is European and many other countries - Australia, New Zealand, and more. My country is PAL.

If diff lists no differences, the files should be the same.

Entirely possible they are the same. Which suggests the difference (if any) lies in the body, in a part not updated by the firmware.

Back