ghostman123

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Phil
Hi there
New member with a kit lens question:
Is it just me whose 16-50mm kit lens has a clunky sounding zoom? Is it a known issue?

Welcome Phil.
Its been a while since I've used that lens, but I do recall it having the typical electronic noise while zooming and focus hunting a bit in dimmer conditions. It's probably Sony's cheapest lens, and sadly you get what you pay for.
Any other lenses in your bag or plans to upgrade? What genres and conditions do you like to shoot?

Welcome Phil.
Its been a while since I've used that lens, but I do recall it having the typical electronic noise while zooming and focus hunting a bit in dimmer conditions. It's probably Sony's cheapest lens, and sadly you get what you pay for.
Any other lenses in your bag or plans to upgrade? What genres and conditions do you like to shoot?
Many thanks for the welcome and reply. Only just got the a6400 to be honest. Looking to get the Sigma 1.4 prime lens at some point. I will primarily be using it to film some things with, mainly interviews for a paranormal show I produce. 🙂

Cheers
Phil

Regarding the kit lens, it isn't terrible for video, but it is less than ideal. On the positives: you have Optical Steady Shot (OSS), power zoom, and 16mm is just about wide enough to vlog with if you hold your arm out and have a steady hand LOL. Where it is less stellar for video is the low-light performance (or lack thereof) and really small thread size if you wanted to use an ND filter in daylight scenes.

Paranormal show sounds intriguing! The Sigma 16mm will help you film in darker scenes, but without stabilization built into the lens (and no IBIS in the a6400 body), you might get "Blair Witch Project" style of shaky footage unless you're using a gimbal. Good luck!

Back