Obligatory Newby Thread

i12flytoday

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Wade Garrett
Had an A7RIII a couple of years ago but a lot of my gear was stolen. Kinda got out of it with COVID and work business and didn't pick up a camera other than my phone for 2 years.

Fast forward to this last Christmas and I received an A7RIVa and a 24-240mm. Not terribly impressed with the lens, but I've decided to sell my D800 and associated gear and go all in on the Sony. My wife shoots a Canon so I bought the Metabones adapter and have had good results with her old Canon 50mm 1.8 and her new Sigma 30mm f1.4. Hoping to get a Sigma 60-600mm in a few months. I'm going to rent one soon to check it out in detail.

Other than that, nothing much else to say just yet. Oh, I live I live in Oregon and work in the tech industry.

Last edited:
Welcome!

Had an A7RIII a couple of years ago but a lot of my gear was stolen. Kinda got out of it with COVID and work business and didn't pick up a camera other than my phone for 2 years.

Fast forward to this last Christmas and I received an A7RIVa and a 24-240mm. Not terribly impressed with the lens, but I've decided to sell my D800 and associated gear and go all in on the Sony. My wife shoots a Canon so I bought the Metabones adapter and have had good results with her old Canon 50mm 1.8 and her new Sigma 30mm f1.4. Hoping to get a Sigma 60-600mm in a few months. I'm going to rent one soon to check it out in detail.

Other than that, nothing much else to say just yet. Oh, I live I live in Oregon and work in the tech industry.
Welcome to the Forum. I suspect you will like it here. Friendly people and no "In-fighting". So I guess, for me at least, you should explain your Username, if you don't mind.

Jeff, I was a pilot for several years until I lost my medical. Growing up in Alaska, I had the experience of spending a lot of time on small aircraft. I got my private pilot license at 18 in Alaska and my commercial-multi-instrument at Flight Safety Academy in Vero Beach, FL. I flew for a regional airline until the industry got slammed after 9-11 and I went into the US Air Force. Sadly, I lost my flight medical in 2005 after a surgery and was denied a review in 2008 and can no longer fly, legally, as a pilot at least. Now I spend all of my time on the ground looking at microelectronics through microscopes.

My username breaks down as I (i) want to (1 2) fly today.
Welcome to the Forum. I suspect you will like it here. Friendly people and no "In-fighting". So I guess, for me at least, you should explain your Username, if you don't mind.

Well, I figured there was a flying story there. I'm a retired Corporate Pilot, but like you, I no longer to get a Medical. Too old with too many issues. I manage to take a Flight Review a year or so ago. I just wanted to do it and it made it easier to get my Part 107 Drone Certificate. Lately, Ive been itching to do a little flying but the rental rates are ridiculous. Not only that, I would need to pay an instructor to ride along. The Medical issue.

What equipment where you on? I did my turbine transition in a CE525 and was SIC on the EMB135/145 for 2 years. I have several hundred hours in the Seminole, Seneca, and in a Baron 58. I did a lot of flights from the Bahamas to Ft. Pierce and from all over Florida to Naples and Key West. I'm planning a new house to be built and I'm trying to get the Wife Approval Rating for a room that I can build a full motion simulator in. Obviously nothing like what you get typed in, but something more than the Honeycomb pedals and yoke and 55" screen I have now.

PS: Is that a Challenger you are standing in front of in your Flickr picture?

What equipment where you on? I did my turbine transition in a CE525 and was SIC on the EMB135/145 for 2 years. I have several hundred hours in the Seminole, Seneca, and in a Baron 58. I did a lot of flights from the Bahamas to Ft. Pierce and from all over Florida to Naples and Key West. I'm planning a new house to be built and I'm trying to get the Wife Approval Rating for a room that I can build a full motion simulator in. Obviously nothing like what you get typed in, but something more than the Honeycomb pedals and yoke and 55" screen I have now.

PS: Is that a Challenger you are standing in front of in your Flickr picture?
It is a Challenger 604. That was my last flight as a Pro. That particular Challenger belonged to the Gap Stores. The last 9 or 10 years I flew Challenger 601's and 604's. I was the Aviation Dept Manager for Sun Micro Systems. Before that in reverse order I flew Gulfstream II's and III's. Also a lot of Citation time including a Citation III for a while as well as Lear Jets and IAI Westwinds. I've been retired for 15 or 16 years but I still miss those days.

I never flew a CJ though. That replaced some of the Citations that I flew. I'm showing my age. :cool:

Welcome Wade and thank you for joining up here. That really does suck about your gear being stolen! :( The a7R IVa is a nice camera to get back into the game though. Any reason why you are considering the Sigma 60-600 over the Sony FE 200-600? I guess if it's Canon mount you can share it with the wife. It is a big lens! :)

Yes, it's because I can share it with my wife. I had the 150-600mm, one of the things that got stolen, and I was very happy with it. Photography is one of the things that my wife and I do together. With the Sony, we can share some of the same lenses now. I'm pretty happy with the Canon lenses on the Sony so far.

Welcome Wade and thank you for joining up here. That really does suck about your gear being stolen! :( The a7R IVa is a nice camera to get back into the game though. Any reason why you are considering the Sigma 60-600 over the Sony FE 200-600? I guess if it's Canon mount you can share it with the wife. It is a big lens! :)

Back