Name
Uncle Kev 😆
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Painted Lady Butterfly today. The first I've seen this year, and hopefully a sign that many more will arrive this year. They are a remarkable Butterfly, that make an incredible journey from North Africa to the UK and Europe each year, sometimes just a few hundred a year, but every 10 years or so we get thousands.
DSC08645 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 250

Lovely shot Kev. That is certainly quite the journey for such a little creature!

When I get the chance to get shots of any butterfly/moth I will try to get them.
There is something nie about getting shots of them. The smallest one I have got here is about the size of your thumb nail.
But I do find them hard to get as they never settle down for too long , so do you have the same trouble?

When I get the chance to get shots of any butterfly/moth I will try to get them.
There is something nie about getting shots of them. The smallest one I have got here is about the size of your thumb nail.
But I do find them hard to get as they never settle down for too long , so do you have the same trouble?

Yes, they are very tricky at times, especially at breeding time, when they are very flighty, looking for partners. This one didn't sit long but kept returning to the same plant, which made it easier. Patience is definitely key with these, and dragonflies too!

Here is our Painted Lady from across the pond from you. They were almost the last to arrive this year.

View attachment 43480
Lovely. We have had hardly any over here this year. The winds have been cold and in the wrong direction.

Back