Followers
Following
Name
Ade
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
West Yorkshire
Tried to do a search on this problem but can't find a definitive answer so thought someone here could possibly help.
I use an A7lll and noticed a flicker on the viewfinder (from indoor lighting) so Googled a solution which seems to work. By switching from PAL to NTSC cured the flicker but every now and then when I switch the camera on, I get a message telling me the camera is running on NTSC - why does it do that?
It doesn't tell me when it's set to PAL so why do it when set to NTSC.
As I understand it, the flicker is caused by the frequency of indoor listing in the UK can be in or out of sync with the camera when in PAL so the viewfinder flickers.
It's no big deal but it takes a few seconds to be able to clear the message and be able to take a shot when it does appear.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't believe it's possible to remove the NTSC message unfortunately, at least on cameras purchased in Europe. You could try enabling anti-flicker in the menu, or try changing the display quality from standard to high or vice versa. I couldn't see any flicker when I checked with mine just now so I'm not sure if this will help or not.

Thanks Tim.
I’ve tried all the above but had no joy. The flickering isn’t a deal breaker so I will just switch back to PAL and put up with it as opposed to getting the message.
(should have stuck to Fujifilm cameras 😉)

I purchased my camera from the US and also get the NTSC message annoyingly pop up when desperate to take a shot! I've now switched to PAL so we'll see how that goes!

I purchased my camera from the US and also get the NTSC message annoyingly pop up when desperate to take a shot! I've now switched to PAL so we'll see how that goes!
Why would it do that? Especially as you bought it in the US.
I have now set mine to PAL to avoid the message.

The default pal or ntsc depends on where you camera is purchased. So I guess you'll get a warning if you set it to the opposite of the country's default.

Low energy bulbs and fluorescents tend to flicker at mains frequency or a multiple. So changing the frame rate and that's different with pal and ntsc, will change how you sync with it. I'm not sure how leds behave, but the mains will be rectified and dropped to a low dc voltage, but they prefer a fairly stable voltage so I guess that there should be no flicker. Incandescent s should be fine.

The default pal or ntsc depends on where you camera is purchased. So I guess you'll get a warning if you set it to the opposite of the country's default.

Low energy bulbs and fluorescents tend to flicker at mains frequency or a multiple. So changing the frame rate and that's different with pal and ntsc, will change how you sync with it. I'm not sure how leds behave, but the mains will be rectified and dropped to a low dc voltage, but they prefer a fairly stable voltage so I guess that there should be no flicker. Incandescent s should be fine.
Thanks for this info Chris - I've got used to the flicker already, it's only slight and far better than the message popping up.

Back