Sony A7R III Performance of A7rIII with the 200-600 lens

Sony A7R III Resources: Accessories | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

jilldwr

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Darrell/Jill Richards
I currently own the A7rIII but shoot mainly wildlife & birds in flight with canon gear. I'd like to get the Sony 200-600 lens and shoot birds in flight with the A7rIII instead. Only thing is that I've seen and read some less than glowing reviews of this combination. Does anyone here use the 200-600 with the A7rIII? and how does it perform?
Cheers!

Jilldwr

There are some people having trouble with the A7R4 and the 200-600, but I hadn’t heard of problems particularly with the A7RIII. I would recommend using mechanical shutter, though; the A7RIII can show rolling shutter when using pure electronic shutter.

I currently own the A7rIII but shoot mainly wildlife & birds in flight with canon gear. I'd like to get the Sony 200-600 lens and shoot birds in flight with the A7rIII instead. Only thing is that I've seen and read some less than glowing reviews of this combination. Does anyone here use the 200-600 with the A7rIII? and how does it perform?
Cheers!

Jilldwr
Just make your Sony purchase from a vendor that offers 30 day returns.

30 day returns are not offered here in Toronto. 15 day returns are but they only give a store credit which sucks.
Just looking for some hands on opinions before I take the plunge.

Just make your Sony purchase from a vendor that offers 30 day returns.

I am pretty sure the folks linked on this board all offer the 30 day return. B&H are good as is Amazon. Adorama has been good, too. I've also read very good things about KEH on this board. KEH is for used gear.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the folks linked on this board all offer the 30 day return. B&H are good as is Amazon. Adorama has been good, too. I've also read very good things about KEH on this board. KEH is for used gear.
My experience is the same as you have stated. I live in Atlanta Ga where KEH is located and have had great success in reasonable trade in prices or buying used equipment that you cannot tell has been used, and they do warranty their used products. Very reputable company.

Cheers!

Jilldwr
I have been considering the same combination, but keep finding that some folks online are not necessarily pleased with the results of that lens on the A7RIII nor also on the A7RIV. I have a friend with the A9 and he is elated with the lens combo. When asked, reps from two different reputable local shops also brought up issues with the combo. They said the lens works weill on the A7III but not so well on the A7IV. When I asked what might be the cause, they independently theorized that the higher res R varieties aren't playing well with G lenses, but that they are doing great with the GM varieties. I have no means of performing tests to support or debunk their theories, but thought you might care to know about them.

What is the issues with the 200-600 combo. Soft?? Slow focus?? Just curious I have one and used on the A7RIV and A1.

Somewhat soft on the R but not on a non-R is what the theory postulates. I don't have the means to do quantified testing. Have you performed testing using the lens with both the A7RIV and the A1?

KEH offers 21 day returns.

I know nothing about these performance issues. However, there are alternatives. What about the 100-400 with the 1.4 or 2 X TCs? Or, the new Sigma 150-600 Sport (not contemporary) is getting really good reviews. If you do a member search for Will Focus you'll see samples with the Sigma and a 7RII.

Don't know if this helps, maybe those more experienced with the 7 series and long lenses can comment.

I have been considering the same combination, but keep finding that some folks online are not necessarily pleased with the results of that lens on the A7RIII nor also on the A7RIV. I have a friend with the A9 and he is elated with the lens combo. When asked, reps from two different reputable local shops also brought up issues with the combo. They said the lens works weill on the A7III but not so well on the A7IV. When I asked what might be the cause, they independently theorized that the higher res R varieties aren't playing well with G lenses, but that they are doing great with the GM varieties. I have no means of performing tests to support or debunk their theories, but thought you might care to know about them.
So who has commented on the 200-600 & A7 IV combination. AFAIK, nobody has an A7 IV except testers and I don't remember reading any mentioning that issue.

So who has commented on the 200-600 & A7 IV combination. AFAIK, nobody has an A7 IV except testers and I don't remember reading any mentioning that issue.
I think it may have been a typo, the R is missing.

Somewhat soft on the R but not on a non-R is what the theory postulates. I don't have the means to do quantified testing. Have you performed testing using the lens with both the A7RIV and the A1?
I have never been unhappy with the 200-600, it is slightly soft, maybe, i have thought that several times but then I consider hand held at full 600, aperture was close to wide open, speed maybe less than should be. Similar on both RIV and A1. Is it as sharp as a 10,000$ prime, no.

Sony A7R III Resources: Accessories | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Back