Firmware version 2.10 has now been released for the Sony a7R III. This fixes a previous raw file bug in firmware v2.00 as well as a problem with a third-party (SanDisk) memory card that was not being recognized. It also fixes an issue where the Auto Review function may occasionally cause the camera to stop responding.
You can download the firmware from Sony’s support sites:
Benefits and Improvements in Sony a7R III Firmware Version 2.10
1. Improves the following:
In rare cases, the camera may stop functioning while writing RAW data onto an SD card that has already been used multiple times
- This may also cause abnormalities in the files managing the images, preventing the images from displaying on the camera.
- No image data in the memory card will be corrupted or deleted aside from the data that was being written at the time the interruption occurred.
2. Solves the problem caused by a specific third-party memory card, which would not be recognised by Sony cameras
3. Taking a picture while using the Auto Review function may occasionally cause the camera to stop responding
Previous a7R III Firmware Versions
Firmware Version 2.00
Firmware version 2.00 was suspended. See here for details.
Support of “SEL400F28GM”and “SEL24F14GM”
- Optimization of the optical image stabilization performance, and addition of a new image stabilization mode of the lens (Mode 3)(Only “SEL400F28GM”).
- Addition of a Function Ring(Lens) to the menu.
Note: For the SEL400F28GM lens, the APS-C S35/Full Frame Sel. setting is assignable to the Function Ring in addition to Power Focus.
- Addition of [Aperture Drive in AF] setting in the menu.
*Using the lens “SEL400F28GM” or “SEL24F14GM”, when [Silent priority] is selected, the sound emitted by the aperture drive will be reduced. This is useful in shooting conditions where camera. Noise should be kept to a minimum. Note that Auto Focus may become slower when [Silent priority] is selected.
- [AF Track Sens] can be assigned to a custom key.
- When used with the LA-EA3 mount adaptor [link to product page], all focus areas are supported.
Note : Focus Area options added : Zone, Expand Flexible Spot, and Lock-on AF.
Bracket shooting is available during silent shooting when [File Format] is set to [RAW] or [RAW & JPEG] and [RAW File Type] is set to [Uncompressed].
- Improvement of the performance and the overall stability of the camera.
- Better reproduction of the gradation of RAW pictures.
Note: Imaging Edge software needs to be updated to benefit from the improvement in the RAW processing.
- When shooting with a flash in an environment with flickering light sources, the stability of the exposure is improved.
- Improvement of managing continuously shot images as a group.
Please refer to the HelpGuide for updated function usage.
Previous a7R III Firmware Versions
Firmware Version 1.10
The most noteworthy update with this release is to the Pixel Shift Multi Shooting mode. Sony have reduced the interval between frames to 0.5secs. Up until firmware version 1.10, the Sony A7R III’s Pixel Shift mode offered delays from 1 to 30secs. Reducing this interval between frames to 0.5secs should help protect against subject movement.
What’s Been Added in Version 1.10?
Version 1.10 provided the following benefits:
- A new Interval option is now selectable for Pixel Shift Multi Shooting: [On: Shooting Interval 0.5sec] option added to the menu.
*When the camera is connected to a PC, please use the latest version (1.2 or later) of the Imaging Edge software.
*When using an A-mount lens via a Mount Adaptor (LA-EA1/ LA-EA2/ LA-EA3/ LA-EA4), the interval might be slightly longer.
- Bracketing is now available during Silent Shooting with uncompressed RAW
- Improves the peaking display level for S-Log shooting
- Improves the Eye AF, which under a specific set of circumstances, did not work properly
- Solves an issue where [Viewfinder Brightness] was not being reflected correctly in [Manual] setting
- Improves the overall stability of the camera
The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.
- Solves cases where the ‘Set File Name’ function does not work properly
- Improves overall camera stability